“Consistently surprises” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
GI
“Consistently surprises”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

Been a few years since we've been in Granby.
However, one of my favorite restaurants in the whole world is the Long Branch. Been there 5 times over 10 years.
I live in Nebraska--and we grew up on German food. (Grand Island and Omaha). We wrote the book on beef, folks. Ever hear of Driesbach's ?? We travel much and have dined at many places . We are amazed at what a chef can do with a marginal cut of beef ...or what a fool can do to ruin a good cut of Beef.
The Long Branch is definitely in the "Former" category.

The food is always: Top-notch, well prepared, fresh, and wonderful. Service is good.The stuff they do with Red Cabbage, Spaetlese, Beef, Pork, spices,and sauces...is world class.! I'm always amazed at how that humble Building (Shack) puts out such great food.
Prices are obscenely CHEAP for what you get. Quantity is assured--however, the quality blows me away.

Move this restaurant to Grand Island, will ya !!?? Please !

Tustin, CA
“Stick with the German food....when eating at a german restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

The german food was to die for and so were the escargots, with impeccable sauce. It is always my policy not to order pizza from a mexican restaurant, or menudo from a middle easterner place. So go for the house specials: authentic german cuisine, home made bread and egg noodles, with saucy schnitzel (pork loins). And to end on a sweet note, try the homemade apple strudel with rhubarb. Prices are not bad either: 2 meals, 1 premium beer, dessert for under $40.

Columbus, Ohio
“Fabulous Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

Fabulous restaurant specializing in German food. Run by a couple from Austria. Stuffed to the gills, we still ordered dessert. Who can resist authentic home-made German studel? Not me!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Colorado
“Not so great.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

My husband, children (ages 6 and 4) and I ate here on a weekend trip to SolVista. We didn't have the German food, so I can't speak to that, but the rest of our food was just so so. I had just soup and salad and, I have to say, the soup tasted like a dry mix...definitely not homemade and the "salad," as another poster mentioned, was just lettuce with some dressing. It was pretty awful. In addition, as we were wrapping up our meal, we were surprised to see the owners' grandchildren climbing upon tables without any direct supervision. Kind of a safety and cleanliness issue if you ask me. And, the bathroom was FRIGID...yikes.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“Overpriced Cafeteria Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

We went to the Longbranch Restaurant while visiting Granby. We came because of a recommendation on tripadvisor. When we got there, no other customers were there, but we decided we would try it. My salad was literally just lettuce and dressing. We got an appetizer - nachos with cheese - for about $6. It was clearly generic chips with cheap shredded cheese stuck in a microwave for about 20 seconds. My wife got the kids cheeseburger and fry. It was dry. Her whole meal was a cheap imitation of McDonalds's burger and fries. I got the pork schnitzel with potatoes and onions. The potatoes and onions were decent. The pork schnitzel was not as good as when I got pork tenderloin for my school lunch in middle school. I would strongly recommend against the Longbranch Restaurant.

• 2 of 5 stars Food