“Family Camp” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Drowsy Water Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Granby
Drowsy Water Ranch
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Granby
Ft Washington, PA
“Family Camp”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Because I use TripAdvisor so religiously, I felt compelled to add my belated two cents about DWR. Our family of five vacationed there a couple of summers ago, and it was an amazing experience. All the glowing reviews are accurate -- the horses, the staff, the food, the scenery were all wonderful. And right on cue, all three of our kids cried as we drove away from DWR. Not that I find this a pleasant way to end my vacation, but it certainly meant it made an impression on the kids -- they still talk fondly about "their" horses.

Since it's all been said using every superlative word out there, I won't be redundant. I will just add a point that I would've found helpful when planning. I would liken our week at DWR to a really cool summer camp for families. I think it's more enjoyable if you are social, enjoy meeting new people, and want to socialize on your vacation. Of course no one will force you to do so, and I met plenty of people who were quiet, reserved, and didn't want to sit around and share wine and beer with everyone. But at least during the week when we were there, it was a place that naturally promoted that type of easy, friendly mingling. And that is either good or bad, depending on what you want from your vacation, obviously. But an obvious corollary is that this is not exactly the type of vacation where you spend a lot of quality time with just your family, especially your kids. I find this to be true even when we travel with another family. The kids always want to be with the other kids. They go on their AM and PM rides in their respective age groups, so you don't really ride with them apart from the breakfast ride. Then when they are back at the ranch, the kids all play together in the pool, the creek, the playground, etc. You do eat all your meals together, but they are family-style meals so you are eating with other families at the same table usually. Again, this is neither good nor bad, obviously. It's just something to know so that you adjust your expectations accordingly. I heard several other parents say something to the effect of, "Gosh, my kid will barely even acknowledge me on this trip -- she's too anxious that she'll miss out on any of the fun with the other kids. She barely gives me time to sunscreen her before she flies out the cabin door." So for families who are content watching the kids run off and play (usually I am quite content with this), and enjoy hanging with other adults -- this is a win-win vacation. But on the rare occasion you actually want to spend a family vacation spending quality time just with one another -- this is probably not the place to fulfill that desire. DWR was a very cool, Western experience, and we got a very cool family movie out of it. As my kids get older, I do want to spend more quality face time with them, so it will probably be a very cool once-in-a-lifetime experience for us. But I won't be surprised if my kids go back as adults with their kids!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Tequesta, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

We went to DWR to let our 6 year old son experience something very different than his Florida lifestyle. We planned to go once. For the next 12 years we never missed a June trip to "the ranch". My sons first time living away from home was spent working at the ranch as part of the staff and we knew that he was in good hands with the Fosha family so we never worried about anything except that he might not come back. Now we are making plans to take our grandsons to the ranch and our now college son plans to join us as their "guide". If you have kids this is where you need to be as there is nothing about DWR that they and you as parents will not enjoy. Cabins, food, activities,staff service, scenery and the riding are just simply the best!

Room Tip: families will enjoy a separate cabin most..get one on Drowsy Water Creek and sleep like a rock
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
DrowsyWater, Owner at Drowsy Water Ranch, responded to this review, January 2, 2012
Thanks for the great review! We are assuming it is coming from the Gordon family since we noticed Tequesta, FL in your profile. We look forward to seeing your family and grandkids in the future (a new generation coming to the ranch!).
Chardon, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

My family has been coming here for over 45 years now with three generations of family enjoying the scenery and ranch style fun. We have had a family reunion here in 1998 and it was just wonderful. In 2011 my wife and I returned at age 55 and we enjoyed it just as much. The riding, rafting, square dancing and the wonderful staff made it clear to us that the magic is still here at Drowsy Water Ranch.

Room Tip: Cabins are romantic and lodge is very comfortable but not as romantic.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

The best darn dude ranch on the face of the earth. Randi Sue, Ken, Greta, Justin and Ryan go out of their way to be sure that each and every guest has a spectacular time. Guest are divided into riding goods to fit experience and interests. Highlight of the week was a day long ride with Randi Sue and Justin, learning about their lives and the surrounding area. This was our second trip to the ranch and we'll be back again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

We went to DWR in 2010 so that I could fulfil a dream of riding western style on a real ranch even at my advanced age of 67. We both enjoyed it so much (my wife is a dedicated non-rider) that we went again 2011. It was such a joy to meet up with the Foshas who are exceptional people and the best hosts that you could hope for. To renew aquaintances with folks that had ridden the year before was a delightful surprise, and to meet and befriend new people was such a good feeling. DWR is a very special place so I'm not sure that I want too many people to know about it!!

Room Tip: All cabins make excellent accommodation
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

I went to this ranch Labor Day week 2011. I'm from NYC and this was my first solo trip. What a great time I had! The staff was unbelievably friendly, rooms very cozy and clean, horses were very well cared for, food was great. I wanted to do more riding than the usual slow trail rides and I got this at Drowsy Water. I met some really great people out there. I would highly recommend Drowsy Water if you love riding and want to take a solo trip. I rented a car from Denver and made the beautiful drive to Granby. Although it rained the day of our whitewater rafting trip we still all had a great time. Definitely one of my best travel experiences so far! I'll definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

DWR provided 3 generations of our family- 16 people from 7 months to 74 years a glorious 45th anniversary celebration. We loved the friendliness of the Fosha family, wonderful staff, horses, dogs, and the beauty of the hills, trees, flowers, streams.....

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Drowsy Water Ranch? Share your experiences!