“Memorable!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of C Lazy U Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granby
C Lazy U Ranch
3640 Colorado Hwy 125, Granby, CO 80446   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Granby B&B and Inns
Baltimore, MD United States
“Memorable!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We just hosted a corporate retreat and I booked the location "site unseen" other than what their website showed and I was more than impressed!!! The scenery, the food, the service, the experience exceeded all of our expectations and the meeting was a huge success!!! If you have the opportunity to go for business or pleasure- induldge and enjoy- it is worth it!!

Room Tip: ask for a room with a fireplace :)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
C_Lazy_U_Ranch, General Manager at C Lazy U Ranch, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear figureskate,

Thank you for your kind review of C Lazy U! We are pleased to hear that your corporate retreat was a success, and that you enjoyed the scenery, food and most of all, the service. We look forward to having you as our guest again!

110 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Durango, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We hosted my daughter's "destination" wedding there last weekend. From the time we booked the wedding 8 months ago, their planner was amazing--very helpful and efficient and responsive to all my daughters' desires (and many changes). During the weekend, all our guests raved about the staff. Everyone--from the wranglers leading trail rides and others in charge of activities (e.g. trap shooting) to the reception and dining staff--was very friendly and bent over backwards to accommodate every request. The ranch accommodations are very nice, the food was fantastic, and the overall setting was just beautiful.

Room Tip: Get one of the renovated cabins, and ask about accessibility if there if there are mobility issues...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Elizabeth C,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at C Lazy U. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, and your daughter’s wedding wishes were fulfilled. We greatly appreciate your kind words regarding the accommodations, food, setting, and most of all, our staff. Everyone, from Jackie (our wedding coordinator), to the wranglers and the dining hall staff, love our guests, and we are glad it shows!

Edwards, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We just ended our summer with a great long weekend at the ranch. The property is beautiful and the service and activities were great. The staff is very friendly and your time there is well organized between family time and "adult " time.The meals were also very good.Don't miss out on the spa either!!!
We made some great new friends and will be back!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
C_Lazy_U_Ranch, General Manager at C Lazy U Ranch, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Tradd N,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us at C Lazy U. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, and met some new friends while here! We look forward to having you back!

london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

This is my revised review. Management were not apologetic about the bad experiences we had, in fact they were just rude and defensive, refusing to acknowledge the issues they need to address. So I decided to edit my review to clarify the problems we had so that both new visitors to the ranch can be aware of what awaits them and also so that the owners can better understand what the issues are and hopefully rectify them.

We planned our trip to C Lazy U based on the glowing reviews on Trip Advisor and left wondering if the owners were writing their own reviews...

The accommodation:

Basic, run-down rooms that have seen better days. Door didn't shut properly in the bathroom, chipped tiles, hideously uncomfortable beds - they really need to invest in this, heavy blankets instead of goosedown duvets and a mixture of lumpy pillows, old fashioned bathrooms with teeny tiny tubs. There is no air-conditioning or climate control; we went to bed hot and woke up freezing every night. It wasn't the style of decor that bothered us. We love authentic country lodging and that old rustic feel. But seriously, would a duvet and some new pillows be that difficult for the ranch to provide to their guests? If i wanted to wake up each morning feeling like i'd been camping, I would have pitched a tent, not booked into a 'luxury' guest lodge.

The ranch:

Quite pretty in the main lodge where you eat your meals. Pool area has past it's prime, would have appreciated more comfy and modern sun loungers. Could have been better designed so that your view from the bar/pool overlooked the hills instead of the lodges...

The scenery:

Unfortunately a pine-killing beetle has decimated the forest here and you spend your time wondering what it looked like before all the dead trees. Some parts were very pretty, but it was quite 'samey' and it's nowhere near as beautiful as Aspen and other parts of Colorado. Durango (south of Colorado is amazing - try the Soaring Tree Tops Adventures. All you see are beautiful healthy pine forests and aspen groves for miles). Granted, the owners have no control over the damage the beetle inflicted but future guests should know what they're in for. It was nice. Nothing spectacular that's for sure.

The staff:

Majority of the staff were extremely nice and enthusiastic. The wranglers inparticular were great. They try hard to please.

Childcare:
Child care for little ones is appalling. The camp counsellors for the under fives looked like they'd rather be scrubbing toilets than looking after their charges. In fact, many of the other guests pointed out to myself and my husband on our return from the daily ride that the babysitter was doing a lousy job of interacting with our boy. Our 2 year old's nappy was frequently left unchanged for hours at a time. He had such a bad nappy rash on one day from sitting in his own poo and wee for hours that he literally screamed in agony as we attempted to wash him down in the bath. He was red raw for two days. Management didn't seem overly concerned and it took several complaints before we saw a marginal improvement in child care.

Another problem was I had to remind the counsellors frequently that they needed to offer my son a drink of water and apply sunscreen frequently. He's not going to last very long in the hot midday sun at this altitude without water! I also came back several times at lunch time to find that my son was still wearing his sweater and long trousers from the morning when it was cold and fresh. In the middle of the day when everyone around them is wearing a t-shirt and shorts and it's boiling hot, you'd think that would be a strong enough hint to remove a few layers of clothing from our toddler. Sadly not.

There was only one child in the 'Cow Pokes' under 5's program. How could a camp counsellor be so useless? We were paying for one on one attention for our son. So in total, there were two babysitters and 3 children. They weren't exactly run off their feet. It was pathetic. They just seemed inexperienced and a little clueless. We called the ranch ahead prior to booking our stay on two separate occasions plus emailed, to confirm that the ranch does indeed offer babysitting for under 3's. We made it clear that C Lazy U wouldn't be suitable for our family if they didn't have babysitters as our toddler was only two and a half. They were adamant that they could provide one to one attention the whole week. We had 4 different babysitters looking after our son during the week. FOUR! Poor Noah didn't get a chance to bond with any of them. Though, to be honest, most of them spent their time fiddling on their phones, chatting to other staff or twizzling their hair instead of playing with our son. One of the sitters was very nice - Liz. At the end of our stay management approached us and apologised for the 'sub-standard care' (their words exactly) that our son had experienced and to make amends they offered us a 50% reduction in the childcare rates. We didn't ask for this, or hint at this. They did that on their own. It was obvious that they felt bad about the situation. Oh, and they are proud to share that the person who runs their childcare program has a degree in education. Ok, and what about the counsellors who actually look after the children? I asked one of the babysitters (who looked all of about 16) what experience he had with children. His credentials were: 'I've got brothers and sisters'. Right...That explains a lot.

The food:

Hit and miss. Some days I loved the food, on others I pushed it around my plate. The dishes seem dated. Adults were fed better than the children. The kids are fed garbage - mac and cheese, buttery dishes, processed meat and little else. My son eats healthily at home and didn't take to the 'junk' foods served here. He doesn't have any special dietary requirements or allergies. He just eats normal healthy food. But they love to serve the children stodge, grease and sugar here. I guess because it's cheaper than fresh, organic food.

The guests:

We fell in love with the majority of the guests and made friends easily. We look forward to meeting up with many of them in the future.

The spa:

The spa is set up on its own in tents overlooking the hills. It's quite pretty from far but on closer inspection it was kind of poor. Nothing like the tented spas I have experienced before. I had a manicure and pedicure and it was just painful really. The uncomfortable stool I 'perched' on for an hour while I had my nails done was not fun and I was so hot with no air conditioning or breeze that I was dripping sweat all over my seat. The pedicure chair is cheap and not comfortable either. The massage was nice, nothing to write home about. This isn't a world class spa. It's not even a great spa. Before i went for my massage i asked two other ladies about their experience. The first said it was 'ok' and grinned conspiratorially, not wanting the staff to overhear her. I asked if it was great. She laughed and said, no it was just ok. I received a similar response from the other guest i asked. They both said they wouldn't go again and not to bother. So, obviously it wasn't just my experience.

The stables:

Very well run, organised and helpful staff. Horses are hit and miss but this place caters to tourists - not serious riders. If you are an experienced rider you will find the terrain frustrating ( too many holes in the ground, fallen dead trees) as you can't pick up that much speed. Also most of the trails require your horse to climb steep tracks before you reach places suitable for cantering so it's also not kind to the horses to run them tired after their daily marathon uphill trek.

Basically, this place has seen it's hey day and needs to reinvent itself if it wants to survive. It's standards are not five star and don't even compare with four star hotels that we have stayed in. The long standing guests are sentimental and not honestly appraising the mediocre standards that C Lazy U has fallen in to. Given the price, we expected much more.

Are we fussy? Yes. We are well travelled and love to find new places to cherish. Did we enjoy ourselves? Yes. Would we go back? Nope. We are trying Echo Valley Ranch next time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
C_Lazy_U_Ranch, General Manager at C Lazy U Ranch, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear evidentlydaniel,

Thank you for updating your original review. Below is the original response that addresses the items outlined in your review. C Lazy U Ranch is sorry for the bad experience and we are doing everything in our power to improve it for future guests based off your comments. As mentioned in our response to your prior review, I can assure you that the owners and management of the C Lazy U have never participated in the unethical practice of writing our own reviews and despite what you may believe every review that has been posted is authentic.

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations: We aim to provide our guests with a respite from the stresses of everyday life, while maintaining the authentic feel of a working guest ranch located in the American West. I’m sorry to hear that you felt your room was out-of-date; all of our rooms were recently upgraded to include Simmons Beautyrest Beverly Hills Black Edition mattresses, new linens, updated décor, Molton Brown bath products and iHome docking stations, among other amenities. We’ve put several millions of dollars into renovations over the past few years, and while most of our rooms have been fully renovated to include all new fixtures, furniture and finishes some are still scheduled to be renovated (these rooms are offered at a lower daily rate than those which have been fully renovated). Since we are located in the Colorado mountains, we do not have air conditioning, as it is the very rare occasion that it is needed and is not common in most Colorado mountain resorts because the highest average summer temperature in our hometown of Granby is just 77 degrees Fahrenheit. I’m sorry to hear that you felt AC was needed during your stay.

We take the wellbeing of all of the children vacationing at the Ranch very seriously; our Children’s Program is led by a team member who has a degree in childhood development. It is always our number one priority to ensure the happiness – and safety – of each and every child. As such, we don’t usually accept children under the age of three into the Children’s program without a nanny (this is on our website, and provided to all guests upon booking). Since your child was just two years old and you didn’t bring a nanny as required, we made an exception, provided a full time babysitter and didn’t charge you the full extra fee we incurred to ensure a babysitter was with your young child at all times (in place of a nanny). In regard to the food options for children, we always accept special requests, and had you mentioned that you had specific dietary needs for your child, we would have happily accommodated that request.

The “Lazy U” spa is continually ranked in the “Best-Of” spa lists in top editorial outlets. Most recently rated as one of ‘Colorado’s Top 25 Spas,’ the Lazy U Spa mirrors the Ranch in its authentic, outdoorsy feel. Because it is an “open air” spa, we don’t offer AC in our tented treatment rooms as would ruin the concept. Located on Willow Creek, the tents receive a cool breeze from the creek. While we haven’t received a complaint about the spa from other guests, we’re sorry to hear that is the experience you had.

While the pine beetle epidemic has been an ongoing issue in Colorado and many other western states since the 1950s, Granby and C Lazy U are not more affected than other parts of Colorado or the West. C Lazy U’s location, nestled in the Rocky Mountain valley with scenic vistas of the Continental Divide and Rocky Mountain National Park has been a favorite of both our first-time and return guests. Again, we’re sorry to hear that you didn’t feel this way.

Lastly, the riding program is at the crux of ranch activities, and as such, our expert wranglers guide twice-daily mountain trail rides, and offer world-class horsemanship lessons focusing on western-based skills including everything from loping to cattle pushing. While many of our guests are skilled riders, we always offer our guests the option to choose from slow, medium or advanced instructional riding tours, or concentrate on their skills in a one-on-one riding lesson. I understand that you are an English rider, and while we happily accommodate both English and Western riders, we embrace Western riding as it is a time-honored tradition in the Rocky Mountain West. Should our guests not want to navigate our natural landscapes (and ride over logs, rocks and up and down mountains) we offer a 12,000 sq. ft. heated indoor riding arena in addition to riding outdoors on our more than 8,500 acres.

Thank you for your review – we appreciate the feedback.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

C Lazy U was incredible!! We went with my in-laws, my brother & sister-in-law, their 4 yr old son and our 12, 10 & 8 yr old children. There was alway a ton of stuff for the kids AND adults to do, and I loved the fact that we all had breakfast together but then had adult lunches & dinners (which were superb). Fortunately, we chose to do both the morning & afternoon rides everyday, so we didn't pack on the pounds:) The spa was incredibly unique & relaxing--loved the facial & massage! The rooms were well-stocked & super-comfy. Another favorite was "cowboy coffee" every morning with Connie--don't miss it! Truly a very special place--we will be back!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
C_Lazy_U_Ranch, General Manager at C Lazy U Ranch, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear Amy W,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at C Lazy U. We are happy that your family enjoyed a fun-filled vacation with us! We look forward to many more mornings together over "cowboy coffee" in the future!

New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

C Lazy U is a very special place. Not everyone GETS it. Daniel and his wife and child are sophisticated and worldly, but clearly missed the soulfulness of the place. Like Daniel and his wife, 99% of the guests at the ranch are successful, self made, worldly. Most of the guests I've met in the last 25 years of visiting the ranch are people who travel the world in highest style and with every amenity and convenience. Almost all of them LOVE the ranch, just as it is. Most of them are very game, have terrific senses of humor, and comprehend what a wildly original and vanishing experience our families can share at C Lazy U. I'm sorry that Daniel and Bianca could not get past some of the superficial things they mention in their negative reviews, to discover the magic of one of our favorite places on earth. I also think Daniel may have had his feelings hurt because he put off quite a few of the guests he claims to look forward to visiting. I hope you'll take his negative review with a grain of salt and see it in the context of our family's 4 generation enjoyment of the place, and in the context of the nearly unanimous positive reviews on Trip Advisor. (Connie, you don't have to thank me ;-)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Catherine D,

We appreciate your family’s continued patronage. We always look forward to having you as our guests!

Somerville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I was a bit skeptical when I arrived at the CLazyU with my BFF for our annual girls' trip. There were many horses, but also many children, which was not our vacation intention.
However, the schedule of events at the ranch is such that you can be as near, or as far, from children as you like. In fact, I was impressed with the plethora of kids' activities that were offered. The wranglers were very nice and attentive to those who needed it, but left those of us who had riding experience the space we desired. Rides included 2-hour fast, medium, slow, or scenic walks- and all day for the diehard riders. As a horse person, I was impressed with the quality of horses, they manage a herd of 180!

Also available was a rope climb, skeet shooting, fishing, hiking, mountain biking, zip lining, and a full spa menu. If you were bored it was your own fault.

I can't say enough about the staff - from Connie the quiet, but ever attentive manager, to the phenomenal wait staff, these folks have got the customer service market cornered. In times when customer service is a thing of the past, these folks do anything in their power to say "yes" to any request and to correct anything that is not 100% working for each guest. We rode, we chilled, and we drove a short 9 miles to the Hot Sulphur Springs for a unique experience there. We ate and ate and ate gourmet meals at every turn - ice cream sundaes at mid-afternoon with spectacular scenery to match! The meals were well thought-out with greens, fresh veggies, fruit, and meat dishes that compare to any 5-star hotel in the city.

It was a bit pricey for my pocketbook, but worth every penny. I will definitely be saving up to do this again! Kudos to the CLazyU. I'll be back!!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms that face the front provide a better view, but we didn't spend much time in our room so do...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Jane J,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay with us at C Lazy U. We are happy to hear that we successfully provided you and your friend with a memorable annual girls' trip! We pride ourselves on exceptional customer service and I am glad to hear that we met, if not exceeded, your expectations. We hope to see you both again!

Connie Dorsey

Been to C Lazy U Ranch? Share your experiences!