“It was just ok.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of C Lazy U Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granby
C Lazy U Ranch
3640 Colorado Hwy 125, Granby, CO 80446   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Granby B&B and Inns
london
“It was just ok.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

This is my revised review. Management were not apologetic about the bad experiences we had, in fact they were just rude and defensive, refusing to acknowledge the issues they need to address. So I decided to edit my review to clarify the problems we had so that both new visitors to the ranch can be aware of what awaits them and also so that the owners can better understand what the issues are and hopefully rectify them.

We planned our trip to C Lazy U based on the glowing reviews on Trip Advisor and left wondering if the owners were writing their own reviews...

The accommodation:

Basic, run-down rooms that have seen better days. Door didn't shut properly in the bathroom, chipped tiles, hideously uncomfortable beds - they really need to invest in this, heavy blankets instead of goosedown duvets and a mixture of lumpy pillows, old fashioned bathrooms with teeny tiny tubs. There is no air-conditioning or climate control; we went to bed hot and woke up freezing every night. It wasn't the style of decor that bothered us. We love authentic country lodging and that old rustic feel. But seriously, would a duvet and some new pillows be that difficult for the ranch to provide to their guests? If i wanted to wake up each morning feeling like i'd been camping, I would have pitched a tent, not booked into a 'luxury' guest lodge.

The ranch:

Quite pretty in the main lodge where you eat your meals. Pool area has past it's prime, would have appreciated more comfy and modern sun loungers. Could have been better designed so that your view from the bar/pool overlooked the hills instead of the lodges...

The scenery:

Unfortunately a pine-killing beetle has decimated the forest here and you spend your time wondering what it looked like before all the dead trees. Some parts were very pretty, but it was quite 'samey' and it's nowhere near as beautiful as Aspen and other parts of Colorado. Durango (south of Colorado is amazing - try the Soaring Tree Tops Adventures. All you see are beautiful healthy pine forests and aspen groves for miles). Granted, the owners have no control over the damage the beetle inflicted but future guests should know what they're in for. It was nice. Nothing spectacular that's for sure.

The staff:

Majority of the staff were extremely nice and enthusiastic. The wranglers inparticular were great. They try hard to please.

Childcare:
Child care for little ones is appalling. The camp counsellors for the under fives looked like they'd rather be scrubbing toilets than looking after their charges. In fact, many of the other guests pointed out to myself and my husband on our return from the daily ride that the babysitter was doing a lousy job of interacting with our boy. Our 2 year old's nappy was frequently left unchanged for hours at a time. He had such a bad nappy rash on one day from sitting in his own poo and wee for hours that he literally screamed in agony as we attempted to wash him down in the bath. He was red raw for two days. Management didn't seem overly concerned and it took several complaints before we saw a marginal improvement in child care.

Another problem was I had to remind the counsellors frequently that they needed to offer my son a drink of water and apply sunscreen frequently. He's not going to last very long in the hot midday sun at this altitude without water! I also came back several times at lunch time to find that my son was still wearing his sweater and long trousers from the morning when it was cold and fresh. In the middle of the day when everyone around them is wearing a t-shirt and shorts and it's boiling hot, you'd think that would be a strong enough hint to remove a few layers of clothing from our toddler. Sadly not.

There was only one child in the 'Cow Pokes' under 5's program. How could a camp counsellor be so useless? We were paying for one on one attention for our son. So in total, there were two babysitters and 3 children. They weren't exactly run off their feet. It was pathetic. They just seemed inexperienced and a little clueless. We called the ranch ahead prior to booking our stay on two separate occasions plus emailed, to confirm that the ranch does indeed offer babysitting for under 3's. We made it clear that C Lazy U wouldn't be suitable for our family if they didn't have babysitters as our toddler was only two and a half. They were adamant that they could provide one to one attention the whole week. We had 4 different babysitters looking after our son during the week. FOUR! Poor Noah didn't get a chance to bond with any of them. Though, to be honest, most of them spent their time fiddling on their phones, chatting to other staff or twizzling their hair instead of playing with our son. One of the sitters was very nice - Liz. At the end of our stay management approached us and apologised for the 'sub-standard care' (their words exactly) that our son had experienced and to make amends they offered us a 50% reduction in the childcare rates. We didn't ask for this, or hint at this. They did that on their own. It was obvious that they felt bad about the situation. Oh, and they are proud to share that the person who runs their childcare program has a degree in education. Ok, and what about the counsellors who actually look after the children? I asked one of the babysitters (who looked all of about 16) what experience he had with children. His credentials were: 'I've got brothers and sisters'. Right...That explains a lot.

The food:

Hit and miss. Some days I loved the food, on others I pushed it around my plate. The dishes seem dated. Adults were fed better than the children. The kids are fed garbage - mac and cheese, buttery dishes, processed meat and little else. My son eats healthily at home and didn't take to the 'junk' foods served here. He doesn't have any special dietary requirements or allergies. He just eats normal healthy food. But they love to serve the children stodge, grease and sugar here. I guess because it's cheaper than fresh, organic food.

The guests:

We fell in love with the majority of the guests and made friends easily. We look forward to meeting up with many of them in the future.

The spa:

The spa is set up on its own in tents overlooking the hills. It's quite pretty from far but on closer inspection it was kind of poor. Nothing like the tented spas I have experienced before. I had a manicure and pedicure and it was just painful really. The uncomfortable stool I 'perched' on for an hour while I had my nails done was not fun and I was so hot with no air conditioning or breeze that I was dripping sweat all over my seat. The pedicure chair is cheap and not comfortable either. The massage was nice, nothing to write home about. This isn't a world class spa. It's not even a great spa. Before i went for my massage i asked two other ladies about their experience. The first said it was 'ok' and grinned conspiratorially, not wanting the staff to overhear her. I asked if it was great. She laughed and said, no it was just ok. I received a similar response from the other guest i asked. They both said they wouldn't go again and not to bother. So, obviously it wasn't just my experience.

The stables:

Very well run, organised and helpful staff. Horses are hit and miss but this place caters to tourists - not serious riders. If you are an experienced rider you will find the terrain frustrating ( too many holes in the ground, fallen dead trees) as you can't pick up that much speed. Also most of the trails require your horse to climb steep tracks before you reach places suitable for cantering so it's also not kind to the horses to run them tired after their daily marathon uphill trek.

Basically, this place has seen it's hey day and needs to reinvent itself if it wants to survive. It's standards are not five star and don't even compare with four star hotels that we have stayed in. The long standing guests are sentimental and not honestly appraising the mediocre standards that C Lazy U has fallen in to. Given the price, we expected much more.

Are we fussy? Yes. We are well travelled and love to find new places to cherish. Did we enjoy ourselves? Yes. Would we go back? Nope. We are trying Echo Valley Ranch next time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
C_Lazy_U_Ranch, General Manager at C Lazy U Ranch, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear evidentlydaniel,

Thank you for updating your original review. Below is the original response that addresses the items outlined in your review. C Lazy U Ranch is sorry for the bad experience and we are doing everything in our power to improve it for future guests based off your comments. As mentioned in our response to your prior review, I can assure you that the owners and management of the C Lazy U have never participated in the unethical practice of writing our own reviews and despite what you may believe every review that has been posted is authentic.

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations: We aim to provide our guests with a respite from the stresses of everyday life, while maintaining the authentic feel of a working guest ranch located in the American West. I’m sorry to hear that you felt your room was out-of-date; all of our rooms were recently upgraded to include Simmons Beautyrest Beverly Hills Black Edition mattresses, new linens, updated décor, Molton Brown bath products and iHome docking stations, among other amenities. We’ve put several millions of dollars into renovations over the past few years, and while most of our rooms have been fully renovated to include all new fixtures, furniture and finishes some are still scheduled to be renovated (these rooms are offered at a lower daily rate than those which have been fully renovated). Since we are located in the Colorado mountains, we do not have air conditioning, as it is the very rare occasion that it is needed and is not common in most Colorado mountain resorts because the highest average summer temperature in our hometown of Granby is just 77 degrees Fahrenheit. I’m sorry to hear that you felt AC was needed during your stay.

We take the wellbeing of all of the children vacationing at the Ranch very seriously; our Children’s Program is led by a team member who has a degree in childhood development. It is always our number one priority to ensure the happiness – and safety – of each and every child. As such, we don’t usually accept children under the age of three into the Children’s program without a nanny (this is on our website, and provided to all guests upon booking). Since your child was just two years old and you didn’t bring a nanny as required, we made an exception, provided a full time babysitter and didn’t charge you the full extra fee we incurred to ensure a babysitter was with your young child at all times (in place of a nanny). In regard to the food options for children, we always accept special requests, and had you mentioned that you had specific dietary needs for your child, we would have happily accommodated that request.

The “Lazy U” spa is continually ranked in the “Best-Of” spa lists in top editorial outlets. Most recently rated as one of ‘Colorado’s Top 25 Spas,’ the Lazy U Spa mirrors the Ranch in its authentic, outdoorsy feel. Because it is an “open air” spa, we don’t offer AC in our tented treatment rooms as would ruin the concept. Located on Willow Creek, the tents receive a cool breeze from the creek. While we haven’t received a complaint about the spa from other guests, we’re sorry to hear that is the experience you had.

While the pine beetle epidemic has been an ongoing issue in Colorado and many other western states since the 1950s, Granby and C Lazy U are not more affected than other parts of Colorado or the West. C Lazy U’s location, nestled in the Rocky Mountain valley with scenic vistas of the Continental Divide and Rocky Mountain National Park has been a favorite of both our first-time and return guests. Again, we’re sorry to hear that you didn’t feel this way.

Lastly, the riding program is at the crux of ranch activities, and as such, our expert wranglers guide twice-daily mountain trail rides, and offer world-class horsemanship lessons focusing on western-based skills including everything from loping to cattle pushing. While many of our guests are skilled riders, we always offer our guests the option to choose from slow, medium or advanced instructional riding tours, or concentrate on their skills in a one-on-one riding lesson. I understand that you are an English rider, and while we happily accommodate both English and Western riders, we embrace Western riding as it is a time-honored tradition in the Rocky Mountain West. Should our guests not want to navigate our natural landscapes (and ride over logs, rocks and up and down mountains) we offer a 12,000 sq. ft. heated indoor riding arena in addition to riding outdoors on our more than 8,500 acres.

Thank you for your review – we appreciate the feedback.

110 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

C Lazy U was incredible!! We went with my in-laws, my brother & sister-in-law, their 4 yr old son and our 12, 10 & 8 yr old children. There was alway a ton of stuff for the kids AND adults to do, and I loved the fact that we all had breakfast together but then had adult lunches & dinners (which were superb). Fortunately, we chose to do both the morning & afternoon rides everyday, so we didn't pack on the pounds:) The spa was incredibly unique & relaxing--loved the facial & massage! The rooms were well-stocked & super-comfy. Another favorite was "cowboy coffee" every morning with Connie--don't miss it! Truly a very special place--we will be back!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
C_Lazy_U_Ranch, General Manager at C Lazy U Ranch, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear Amy W,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at C Lazy U. We are happy that your family enjoyed a fun-filled vacation with us! We look forward to many more mornings together over "cowboy coffee" in the future!

New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

C Lazy U is a very special place. Not everyone GETS it. Daniel and his wife and child are sophisticated and worldly, but clearly missed the soulfulness of the place. Like Daniel and his wife, 99% of the guests at the ranch are successful, self made, worldly. Most of the guests I've met in the last 25 years of visiting the ranch are people who travel the world in highest style and with every amenity and convenience. Almost all of them LOVE the ranch, just as it is. Most of them are very game, have terrific senses of humor, and comprehend what a wildly original and vanishing experience our families can share at C Lazy U. I'm sorry that Daniel and Bianca could not get past some of the superficial things they mention in their negative reviews, to discover the magic of one of our favorite places on earth. I also think Daniel may have had his feelings hurt because he put off quite a few of the guests he claims to look forward to visiting. I hope you'll take his negative review with a grain of salt and see it in the context of our family's 4 generation enjoyment of the place, and in the context of the nearly unanimous positive reviews on Trip Advisor. (Connie, you don't have to thank me ;-)

Dear Catherine D,

We appreciate your family’s continued patronage. We always look forward to having you as our guests!

Somerville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I was a bit skeptical when I arrived at the CLazyU with my BFF for our annual girls' trip. There were many horses, but also many children, which was not our vacation intention.
However, the schedule of events at the ranch is such that you can be as near, or as far, from children as you like. In fact, I was impressed with the plethora of kids' activities that were offered. The wranglers were very nice and attentive to those who needed it, but left those of us who had riding experience the space we desired. Rides included 2-hour fast, medium, slow, or scenic walks- and all day for the diehard riders. As a horse person, I was impressed with the quality of horses, they manage a herd of 180!

Also available was a rope climb, skeet shooting, fishing, hiking, mountain biking, zip lining, and a full spa menu. If you were bored it was your own fault.

I can't say enough about the staff - from Connie the quiet, but ever attentive manager, to the phenomenal wait staff, these folks have got the customer service market cornered. In times when customer service is a thing of the past, these folks do anything in their power to say "yes" to any request and to correct anything that is not 100% working for each guest. We rode, we chilled, and we drove a short 9 miles to the Hot Sulphur Springs for a unique experience there. We ate and ate and ate gourmet meals at every turn - ice cream sundaes at mid-afternoon with spectacular scenery to match! The meals were well thought-out with greens, fresh veggies, fruit, and meat dishes that compare to any 5-star hotel in the city.

It was a bit pricey for my pocketbook, but worth every penny. I will definitely be saving up to do this again! Kudos to the CLazyU. I'll be back!!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms that face the front provide a better view, but we didn't spend much time in our room so do...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Jane J,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay with us at C Lazy U. We are happy to hear that we successfully provided you and your friend with a memorable annual girls' trip! We pride ourselves on exceptional customer service and I am glad to hear that we met, if not exceeded, your expectations. We hope to see you both again!

San Juan Capistrano, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We just returned from our third visit to C Lazy U and we had a wonderful time. This is without a doubt my two girls favorite vacation spot.

Accommodations: Comfortable and homey. Loved the warmed tile floors in the bathroom. The rooms are stocked daily with munchies for after-ride hunger pangs.

Atmosphere: The ranch is done in the "old West" style so no phones or TVs in the room. Many families return to the ranch, including us. It was nice to meet with families went had met on previous trips, but we met many new families as well. Dinner attire is dressier than riding clothes, but nowhere near coat and tie. No need to bring high heels, but they aren't out of place if you like to dress for dinner.

Programs: My kids love the kids programs. This was the first year for my 13-yr-old to be in the teen program. The ranch does a great job of having additional activities for this active age - white water rafting, go karts, and campouts were well received. The younger play capture the flag, find the counselor and do skits for the talent show. My kids love the time with their new friends. The kids go on two rides each day with some downtime after lunch to recoup. On our first trip we wondered if we would have enough time with the girls, but there's plenty of time after the afternoon ride to swim in the pool, do archery, trap shooting, ropes course or go fishing in the stocked pond. You can also opt out of rides. Do as much or as little as you like. The Shodeo at the end of the week is a great way for the kids, and adults, to show off their new riding skills.

For the adults, two rides are offered daily. You can choose from, slow scenic, instructional, medium or fast rides depending on your skills and preferences. The scenery and terrain around the ranch are wonderful. You can also ride in the indoor arena if you just want to brush up on your riding skills in a more controlled environment. The ranch offers cattle pushing clinics - a total hoot.

Service: Connie, Paul, Bill, et al. do a spectacular job. Bill Fisher, the head wrangler, works hard to pair the right horse and rider. The staff is friendly. The kids loved all of their counselors. One of them was a college student who was a guest himself when he was a kid. The wranglers were knowledgable and competent. My daughters have been riding since they were little and Jaime, the head of kids programs, made sure they were on horses that matched their abilities.

A few times we had a special request with respect to a ride and Bill and Jamie did their best to accommodate us.

Food: Easy to gain weight on this trip! Breakfast is family style in the lodge. Lunches are on the patio with a salad bar, 2 entrees, multiple sides, house-made soup and dessert. The ice cream bar opens at 4 for scoops and shakes. Dinner is in the lodge or at the patio house. Wine pairing are always offered. The ranch features locally grown meats and produce. Meals are tasty and served family style - with plenty for seconds or thirds. Desserts are tasty.

Overall, this is a wonderful place for families. It's the perfect blend of summer camp (with horses!) and a family vacation. There's lots of family time as well as time to spend as a couple. Hang out with other families or just by yourselves. You can be we'll be back again!

Dear Andrea P,

Thank you for your continued enthusiasm and support of the Ranch! We very much appreciate your feedback, and look forward to creating more memories with you and your family next year!

Baton Rouge, La
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Wow !!! My first "Dude Ranch Experience." Now don't you skeptics wonder about me; I'm no tenderfoot. I've been everywhere too.
C Lazy U was truly one of the best family vacations EVER !
My wife and I, together with our two children, their spouses and four grand children( ages 2.5 years through 19years ) had a wonderful time. We knew ahead of time that the 2 year old would need extra help which we were prepared to handle since the organized activities begin at age 3 years.
There is something for every age group with the feeling of a true Western Ranch experience.
If you want a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons experience you are thinking dull. C Lazy U has been around since 1919. Some of the cabins are weathered, but each one is being systematically renovated. We slept well, and enjoyed our fireplace on cool mornings with fresh coffee. This place has all the comforts anyone would desire, however, you must remember it's a Ranch; a little dust in the air and real horses, donkey's, cattle, hay baling, and chipmunks. Also, an occasional Moose,or Deer on the trail. We also saw Bald Eagles, ducks, geese, and white pelicans soaring.
The staff was wonderful and did anything to please. If you are new to horseback riding never fear; the wranglers will teach you how to become one with your horse.
The food was gourmet, thanks to outstanding chefs. If you couldn't find food or beverage to fit your taste and dietary requirements you must be alien.
We enjoyed every activity C Lazy U had to offer, but at a pace that was never rushed. The timing of each days activities was perfect, whether horseback riding or fishing, white water rafting or hiking, archery or trap shooting. There was plenty of time to enjoy the activity of choice followed by a great mealtime and then plenty of time to relax until your next activity or no activity if you preferred. The pool and large hot pool/spa were relaxing for many. Bonfires at night were toasty for the chilled night air. We met many nice guests and their families from many different places.
Like Tony the Tiger says, "They're Great" at C Lazy U !!!
We definitely can't wait to return.
Tommy H.

Room Tip: If occasional early morning service truck noise bothers you, or you are a light sleeper, request a c...
Dear Tommy H.,

Thank you for the feedback on your recent vacation at C Lazy U. We enjoyed having you and your family stay with us, and are glad you enjoyed all the activities we offer, while still indulging in a bit of relaxation! Looking forward to having you all back again soon!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This place is run down and does not deserve the 5 star rating. In fact, i'm sure i read on their site that they are now a self-rated 5 star due to not having televisions. I didn't miss TV as I don't watch much of it anyway. I'm convinced that C Lazy U's 5 star rating was taken away not because of the lack of TV but because it's simply run down and no longer a luxury ranch.

Rooms are dated, beds uncomfortable, facilities tired and worn out.

Scenery is nice but nothing special.

I was disappointed because at 5 star prices I received a 3 star experience. There are better ranches to visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
C_Lazy_U_Ranch, General Manager at C Lazy U Ranch, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear TravelBunnySecret,

Thank you for your, and your husband, ‘evidentlydaniel’s, prior review. While I addressed many of your concerns in response to your husband’s review, I am happy to respond to those you’ve detailed. C Lazy U is one of Colorado’s original guest ranches, and as such, we provide our guests with an authentic experience that marries the luxuries of today with the history and traditions of the American West. As such, we continually renovate and update our property to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay (all rooms have new Simmons Beautyrest Beverly Hills Black Edition mattresses, new linens, updated décor, Molton + Brown bath products, iHome docking stations, etc.), but at the same time, work to maintain the aspects of our property which provide an authentic experience: We offer our guests ‘Five-Spur’ service – a term that encompasses modern amenities with the feel of a dude ranch – and by no means market ourselves as something other than that.

In regard to your questions about our Five Star rating, we did not have it taken away; in fact, over the course of our history, C Lazy U was the only guest ranch in North America to attain both the celebrated Five-Diamond and Five-Star ratings. As our website explains, we proactively elected to not be rated, as we did not want to incorporate certain commercial aspects that we felt went against the western, family atmosphere we strive to maintain, such as in-room televisions, phones, paved roads throughout the property, keyless entry, etc. That said, we continue to receive top awards for service and facilities from unbiased third parties, including top luxury travel editors (both in the U.S. and Europe) such as Conde Nast Traveler UK, Fodors, Financial Times, and many others.

As always, thank you for your review.

Connie Dorsey

Been to C Lazy U Ranch? Share your experiences!