“Mountain Charm” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Golden
Joplin
“Mountain Charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We chose to stay here because it is close to Red Rocks Amphitheater and we needed somewhere to crash after the concert. We'll definitely return because the service is superb. We were greeted by two lovely desk attendants and a charming lobby with a wooden staircase and rock fireplace. Our room was decorated with a perfect combination of rustic mountain masculine and soft luxurious comfort. The view of the river and mountain was perfect. We had plenty of towels, and appreciated the toiletry dispersers and other environmentally conscious touches. The shower head was low, but the pressure was good. An in-room mini-fridge and microwave was an appropriate amenity I've come to expect at this class of hotel. The location is perfect to enjoy this charming mountain town. We will find a reason to return so that we can further enjoy this lovely location.

Room Tip: A view of the river or the butte is lovely.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dana S, General Manager at The Golden Hotel, an Ascend Collection hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for your amazing review of our property. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay, as we pride ourselves providing exceptional customer service and exceeding guest expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Burlington, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Stayed here 2 nights on business. Would recommend. Only negative comment is that the rooms are a bit noisy - as if we had our window open - you could hear outside noise that loud and clear during the night.

• Stayed July 2014
Dana S, General Manager at The Golden Hotel, an Ascend Collection hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, our location, service and the Bridgewater Grill. We appreciate you letting us know about the noise in your guest room, we will definitely look into it, and see how we can eliminate this from happening in the future. Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back in the future.
Arvada, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We got married on June 28, 2014 at The Golden Hotel. Our reception took place in the Golden Vista room which is at the front facing Washington Street. It was BEAUTIFUL!!!! We are so happy we chose this location. Ashleigh did a fantastic job coordinating everything for us prior to the wedding and the day of. The room rental includes basic linen colors (we did a black/white wedding so it was all included), champagne toast, cake cutting, a dance floor, and a suit that evening. We actually checked-in at 3pm (between the ceremony and reception) so we had a place to hang out between the church ceremony, pictures, and before the reception began.

I made all the decorations for the tables and was able to drop them off the Tuesday before the wedding. I met with Ashleigh and described how I wanted things set up. She took notes they stored everything in their office. It was great to be able to drop it off early (one less thing to worry about). The day of the wedding, Ashleigh and the staff set everything up. They did a phenomenal job!!!! It was everything we wanted it to be and more. I am a control freak so it was difficult to let go of setting up the room. Ashleigh assured me it would be great and it was!!!! The room was absolutely beautiful. We did black table cloths and napkins, with white chair covers and black sashes. It was so elegant and everyone said what a great job they did setting it up. We were able to fit 7 tables of 10 tops, the bar, and the dance floor. We also did a candy bar in the back and that was also set up wonderfully.

Everyone's food came out timely and hot. We served Chicken Saltimbocca, Filet, and a vegetarian dish and every single person said their meal was fantastic. We also did open bar with well liquor, wine, and beer. For 60 people it was about $1500.00 and so worth it. The hotel staff accommodated all the children with special meals, and other guests that had special requests. They were all so friendly and the service was fantastic. I even had nervous/upset stomach at the beginning of the reception and Ashleigh did everything she could to make sure I felt okay. I really appreciated that. The staff communicated constantly throughout the evening. Dish changes (salad, to dinner, to cake) went very well. No one waited for their meals and everyone received what they ordered. They even accommodated allergies and special requests.

When we got up to our room that evening, the top tier to our cake, champagne, and some other small touches were waiting for us (compliments of the hotel). The suit was beautiful, quiet, and was included with the room rental. We went out in downtown Golden after the reception for a bit but it was so nice to walk back to the hotel (it was close so no drinking and driving). I also stayed there Friday evening and that room (two beds) was fantastic. I was very pleasantly surprised at how nice these rooms were.

Brad and I were so incredibly pleased with the service, communication, and pleasant experience from/at the Golden Hotel and with Ashleigh and the staff. We LOVED that we chose here for the reception. It was also great taking pictures in downtown Golden and along Clear Creek. It was worth every penny and we will definitely be returning.

Thank you Ashleigh and Golden Hotel staff!!! Fantastic job!!!!!

Room Tip: Every room is lovely. Rooms are equipped with microwaves and mini-fridges. There are also fresh bak...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dana S, General Manager at The Golden Hotel, an Ascend Collection hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for your amazing 5 star review of our property. We are positively thrilled you enjoyed your special day; it was our extreme pleasure to be a part of it. We couldn’t be happier to read your kind words; I will personally share them with our entire team, including Ashleigh. Again, thank you so much for selecting us for your wedding reception and congratulations! Looking forward to welcoming you back again!
Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

The location of this hotel is very nice, it is right on the creek in Golden. You can walk to all the downtown Golden businesses. The front desk staff was very courteous. The room was clean, albeit a bit on the small side for our family of 3. When we checked in, they offered us each a homemade cookie, which was a very nice touch. The main problem that keeps me from giving this hotel a higher rating was that we had problems with our air conditioning and really could not get the room cooled down. We tried to sleep with the window open, but there was just too much noise outside. When we closed the windows and turned on the a/c, the unit was so noisy, it was very hard to get to sleep. It also didn't seem to work very well, as it really didn't cool down in the room much and we noticed a puddle on the floor by the a/c unit the next morning. One tip -if you do stay here, we would recommend having dinner in the hotel's restaurant, the Bridgewater Grill. We enjoyed a very nice meal there.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed our location, our wonderful team members, the Bridgewater Grill and our home-made cookies. I apologize that you experienced issues with your air conditioning; we consistently strive to exceed guest expectations. Our executive maintenance engineer is in the process of personally reviewing all of the air conditioning units to assure that they are in top working order. Again, my sincerest apologies for the issue you experience with the air conditioning, we hope you will visit us again if your travels bring you back to Golden, Colorado.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Had low expectations. I was impressed by the cleanliness and how large the room is. Checked in late but staff at reception was helpful in guiding us to several dining options. Hotel should consider serving food till midnight. Air conditioning a bit noisy and traffic very early morning since 5:00 can be heard in 2nd floor room. Room rate quite pricey for what it offers. But for 1 night business trip, it's a very good proposition in Golden, CO.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dana S, General Manager at The Golden Hotel, an Ascend Collection hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at The Golden Hotel. We are so pleased you choose to stay with us. I am so glad to hear you found our front desk team members helpful and overall enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again in the future.
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I have to tell it like it is...and I'm questioning some of the other reviews here. As far as the service at this hotel - it can't be beat. The service is top-notch. Checking in was actually a PLEASURE. The staff is well-trained and they obviously don't just hire "anybody" to work there. The restaurant staff as well - excellent. I can't say enough about them.

Here are the downers for this hotel:
1. They use those motion-sensor type thermostats. So in order for the air conditioning in the room to work, there has to be movement in the room. Otherwise it doesn't go on unless the temperature rises ????? degrees (I don't know). So all throughout the night, it was hot and uncomfortable. Since it is summer now, this is very important, at least to me. I also think that there is some sensor that is on the door to the room. So when you leave, it will shut off the A/C and more than likely you will return to a "warm" room. When I first got to my room, it was hot, so this theory of mine stands to reason.

2. The shower head....Oh dear God the shower head. The thin, powerless stream that comes from this shower head would be very effective for misting a fern. But it doesn't do any good for humans. Of course, you are in "green" Colorado so the management probably believes that they are saving the planet by putting these low-flow shower heads in the rooms. But it just makes the stay that much more uncomfortable. You will have to stay in the shower longer to wash and to rinse your hair, so that defeats the entire purpose of low-flow. PS - the toilet was low-flow but it functioned just fine. It WORKED. I'm not against being a good steward of our natural resources. But when something doesn't work, then it needs to be called out. Not everything labelled as "green" is a good product. Period.

So - to wrap it all up - great service as far as the people go, but two of the most important factors in the rooms (at least for me) is the A/C and the ability to get a decent shower. Sadly, this brings the true rating of this hotel way down. We are on a scale of 5 circles and since there is no 2-1/2 I had to give it a 3.

Other little things not affecting my rating:

1. Restaurant food was good, but not great.
2. Safe in room was closed when I got into my room. I realized this later at night and called down to see if that is normal. Clerk said that it is not unheard of that the prior guest may have locked it, and he asked me if I wanted someone to come up to get it opened up. I declined and just didn't use it.
3. Got a room with 2 double beds. One of the beds was so worn that it felt like I was sinking into a big hole. Switched to the other bed which was noticeably better.
4. Inside bar - It's OK but there is this strange yellow picture? painting? which is the centerpiece of the bar. There are harsh, blinding fluorescent lights behind it which shine through. You are left looking at a big, bright-yellow blob. That is the ambiance for the inside bar. Whoever designed this "thing" should not be in that line of work, IMHO. I took a picture of it with my cell phone.
5. I went to print my boarding pass and lo and behold-----it's an Apple, or a Mac, or whatever. Not a Windows computer. So I couldn't figure it out and I wound up going to another hotel that had a Windows computer to print my boarding pass.

Like I said, these last 5 things did not affect my rating. I do not expect the hotel to change it's policies on the A/C or the shower head. So I will not be back. I don't require a comment from the hotel, but if they want to that is fine. It will not affect my decision. But at least I gave them some free quality control.

That's all folks! This is an actual, truthful, review from someone who stayed there.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. We are looking into everything that you alerted us to, as we take all guest feedback very seriously. We would gladly welcome the opportunity to speak to you directly. If this is something you would be open to please contact us at your convenience and please ask to speak with me directly. We are obviously disheartened to hear about your experience, exceeding guest’s expectations is truly what we pride ourselves on.
Looking forward to speaking with you and again thank you in advance for your time.

Dana Mielke – Hotel General Manager.
Madison Heights, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I'm traveling on an Abbott Tour Bus for vacation and the trip has suffered one setback after another, The hotel was booked for the group and instead of getting there around dinner time we didn't make it until after 10 pm. Even at this late hour the staff was ready with porters to help with luggage, checking us in within minutes of arrival and ferrying luggage for 30+ people to rooms as fast as it was unloaded from the bus. Though the restaurant was closed the reception desk made sure we didn't want some sort of late night snack. All we wanted was off the bus and stretched out in comfortable beds. And they were comfortable. Lots of pillows and towels, comfortable temperature in the room and no road noise. Pure heaven for weary travelers. If I have any complaints it would be that the soap dispensers in the shower seemed to contain more water than soap.

The following morning we had a lovely buffet breakfast with bacon, eggs, potatoes, the standard morning fare. Many of the group were surprised at the spices added to the bacon and potatoes. Having come from the South being introduced to western spices was a surprise. Especially at breakfast. The restaurant staff was very attentive and spent time a answering questions and giving directions while pouring coffee.

The hotel backs up to Clear Creek which has a wonderful paved trail for some distance on both sides. Even though we were leaving at 8 a.m. many of us took the time to walk part of the trail and admire the sculptures, gardens and history plaques. It is well worth a return to appreciate it properly. From this hotel there are lots of history to explore and adventures to be had without needing more than a map and a good pair of walking shoes. It's just off the corner of the main street of Golden and a few miles from the bustling city of Denver. It is a quiet location decorated in a western motif and maintained very well.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back of the hotel overlook the creek.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dana S, General Manager at The Golden Hotel, an Ascend Collection hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for your 5 star review of our property. Although short, we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and time at our property. It will be my pleasure to share your comments with all of our team members Again, thank you and we hope to see you again in the future.

Been to The Golden Hotel, an Ascend Collection hotel? Share your experiences!