“Friendly small B & B close to town” 4 of 5 stars

The Silk Pincushion
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1523 Ford Street, Golden, CO 80401   |
Ranked #7 of 16 hotels in Golden
Fleet
“Friendly small B & B close to town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

I chose to stay here because the price was good value and the location meant I coulod walk into town.
When I arrived at 4.45pm there was no answer and I sat on the porch whilst it rained until 6.15pm when the owners finally arrived. I had no phone to call the owners and they got stuck in Denver due to flooding, so it was totally beyond their control, the knee high water flowing through the streets of Denver meant that they could not leave the car park.
I stayed in the Blue Room, the room had en-suite facilities in the old walk in wardrobe, a comfortable bed with a headboard carved by a civil war soldier who had lost his legs in the fighting. The TV had the basic channels but also a DVD player with a large selection of DVD’s available in the lounge.
I inadvertently turned off my alarm when resetting it and I was half an hour late down for breakfast which had been left out on the table. The hosts reheated my breakfast of bacon, scrambled eggs and hash browns and made some fresh toast. I also had coffee and orange juice and an apple and cranberry pastry.
I did not meet any other guests in the B&B, so it was very quiet.
I loved the quaint victorian charm of the building and it's location just down the road from the Coors Brewery.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

15 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Clemmons NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

Although nicely decorated and conveniently located in the heart of Golden, this B & B seems to lack charm that I would expect in a B&B. We too do not eat meat (but are not true vegetarians), and mentioned this to the innkeeper via e-mail prior to our arrival, who seemed fine with this. But he forgot to mention it to the cook. So, on the morning of our meal, rather than the breakfast burritos full of meat, which was offerred to everyone else, our breakfast was an afterthought of plain scrambled eggs and plain toast. Further, the only offering for refreshments were two 1/2 ltr. bottles of water (1 for each of us on a very hot day) for the entire night stay. There was no extra water (unless I tracked the innkeeper down and asked), no afternoon coffee/tea/snack service, which I would expect when I choose to stay in a B&B. I think with a few improvements in hospitality, this place has some potential. However, if I ever returned to Colorado, I would not stay here.

Room Tip: Vegetarians or non-meat eaters are not accommodated well
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

My wife and I spent a few days travelling around Colorado. We stayed somewhere different every night, and three out of four of the places were quite nice.

When we got to the Silk Pincushion, we were greeted by a locked door. My wife called the proprietor and got the combination for the door - all without direct human contact. Our room was cozy, but decorated like a flea market - I've never seen so many (non-matching) flower prints in one room in my life. Right above my side of the bed was a highly disturbing painting of a baby from 100 years ago, which stared down at the bed all night. The creepiness continued with the selection of DVDs downstairs. I thought it was a very nice touch, until I saw that at least 30-40% of the DVDs were action or straight-out horror movies, including "Hostel", about tourists staying at a hostel being sadistically tortured and killed for two hours.

I'm not kidding.

Note to all B&B proprietors: if there's one movie out of the tens of thousands available on DVD that you don't want to put out for your guests, it's "Hostel".

Breakfast was only available from 7 to 8 am, so, bleary-eyed, we trudged down the stairs hoping for a good meal. We were offered breakfast burritos, packed with bacon and sausage. Upon hearing that my wife was a vegetarian (and I generally don't eat mystery meat), the proprietor offered us dry toast. We meekly ate our toast with a few strawberries (possibly still worried about the implications of "Hostel" in the next room). The proprietor barely spoke to us - her husband came in and ate, and he was much friendlier, but I think our rejection of her breakfast burrito deeply offended her.

Afterwards, we said to each other "let's get out of here as soon as we can", and hightailed it out of there.

I can't believe that the proprietor could have been so rude to guests, especially in this economy. It's almost as though she resented having guests at all. Well, don't worry, "Hostel" lady - if we stay in Golden again, we won't bother you by trying to give you our money.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
thesilkpincushion, Owner at The Silk Pincushion, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
This couple came to the BedandBreakfast for one night.I did not know they were vegetarians.
When they told me at breakfast they were vegans. I immediately went to the kitchen and made a special breakfast for them. The Gentleman asked for eggs with onions, so I prepared them the way he asked. When I served them, the woman said she did not want onions, so I went back to the kitchen and made special eggs for her without onions. We put 2 bottles of water in each room for the night. That was not enough for them. They complained about that also. I just believe no matter what I did, it would not please them. Sorry they had such a terrible time at our Home.
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

I spent the 4th of July weekend in Golden, where my daughter is a student at the Colorado School of Mines. I picked The Silk Pincushion because it was reasonably priced and located in central Golden near CSM. Judy the proprietor is very friendly and the house is a large 100 year old Victorian structure with 3 guest rooms upstairs. Keep in mind the '100 year old Victorian' part if you are elderly, handicapped, or terrified of crazy steep stairs. Or in my case if you happen to have an inordinate amount of oversize luggage. :-) Now the house is nicely and lovingly decorated; although, it was lost on a solo male traveler like me. My wife would have appreciated the decoration and the atmosphere. I was here to do some hiking with my daughter, so was out at dawn and only returned late in the evening.

The rooms are a little on the small side, but what you would expect in a 100 year old house. If you want a big square room with all the mod-cons then you are better off elsewhere.

Judy was very nice and accommodating. She cooks a full breakfast, which I managed to miss on 3 out of 4 days. My loss. She will adjust the time to suit you, and I wish I would have taken advantage of this in hindsight. The breakfast consisted of yogurt, granola, eggs, bacon, toast, juice, coffee, and fresh fruit. It was all very good and she has coffee brewing at 5am, which was not lost on me.

Overall it is a very comfortable place. It is located near central Golden and I walked most everywhere around this area.

The parking is on the street or on one side of the driveway. This is the norm in Golden and didn't give me any trouble. Wireless internet is available. There is a cat on the premises. I saw it once or twice. As I mentioned earlier, this is not a great choice if you have trouble with stairs. It is not suitable for children either.

It was exactly as advertised and I had a pleasant stay. I would stay there again without any qualms.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo

Been to The Silk Pincushion? Share your experiences!