“Great location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Glenwood Canyon Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glenwood Springs
Glenwood Canyon Resort
You added Glenwood Canyon Resort to your Saves list
1308 County Road 129, Glenwood Springs, CO 81601 (Formerly Rock Gardens Campground)   |
Toronto, Canada
“Great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

A friend and I spent a couple of nights in one of their camper cabins and had a wonderful time. I have read some negative comments on this board but we didn't have any problems with staff or noise. As I say we were in one of the camper cabins which is closer to the road, rather than river or train track but it didn't impact us one bit. We were dealt with efficiently and with a friendly attitude by Kevin and I would certainly recommend this resort. We didn't use the zip lining or rafting so cannot comment on that but they were very helpful with recommendations for dinner and locations of activities. The resort is close enough to Glenwood Springs to really enjoy the town, and the hot springs are definitely worth a visit, especially after horse back riding!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Centennial, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

We took our Girl Scout troop to Glenwood Canyon Resort. We stayed in the group area which does not have the noise problems with the train that the lower sites have. We had the trucks at the rest area releasing their air brakes all night, instead. In the group area, they put people just camping for the weekend who had no clue what group camping entailed. A couple who I think were thinking of a romantic camping weekend did not expect 15 people in the next sites. Although my girls are very well behaved in a camp setting, other people had no clue of camp etiquette. I finally told one girl not to walk through our campsite constantly from the bathroom to her site. Each site did not have a picnic table nor cooking facilities. We rebuilt a crumbling fire pit for our fire.However, the rafting was fantastic! And convenient! The one complaint on the rafting was that we could not get one CD of pictures with both boats, but would have had to purchase 2. Wasteful and expensive ! At least where we were, it was quiet except for the trucks and since we just slept there, was very convenient to go to Glenwood. We had 3 less people than we thought when we made the reservation in March, but they very nicely prorated our fee. It is not the best campground I have been to, but I would certainly like to try a cabin next time with my family.

• Stayed July 2010
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

just want to make sure everyone knows that campers next to the river are about 100 feet from a train track that has trains coming through between 1 and 5 times per night. b/c the train travels around a curve and through the beautiful canyon, the train sounds are LOUD - more like the screeching of a dinosaur!

also, only campers on the river are allowed to have fires ... the upper RV and tent sites aren't allowed to have fires b/c of the fire code. we didn't know this, and they don't publicize it on their web site - that i could find.

all that being said, it is BEAUTIFUL. the camp sites are tiny, but the river rushing by is amazing, and the rafting was super fun -- not very exciting, but very relaxing.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Greeley, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

The girl who checked us in was pretty much unfriendly. When she told me it would cost me $68 to camp for the night, I should have turned around and left. We were tired and hungry so we stayed. The train kept us up all night. It doesn't just run by, it screetches the entire time it goes by. It's right across the river, so it sounds like you are standing right beside it. It went by at 2am, 4am and 7am. We were camping in a pop-up camper. During the night the wind picked up and we were seriously worried about it blowing us into the river. We were camped on the river. I realize the wind is not the fault of the resort, but something to consider for safety reasons. They were unfriendly, overpriced and did not seem to care about you. We will not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

We spent 4 nights in a camper cabin as part of our family vacation. We have teenagers & wanted them to experience "almost camping". We have always stayed in nice hotels on our vacations & thought our teenage girls could use some tech rehab. The camper cabin do not have electricity except for the porch light & one light in the cabin. That means no charging cell phones(parents had car charger in case of emergency). Our family loved the cabin porch swing. We enjoyed our cabin! We did bring our lap top, but did not attemp to use the wi-fi offered. We did try to use the computers in the laundry room while doing laundry (BTW W/D very helpful) We could not get them to work. Anyhow we did not need any tech. We stayed busy in Glenwwod Springs,hikeing, bikeing, all day rafting trip (BIG Thank you to Jacob & JT, river guides, for showing us such a great time on the river. You guys ROCK!) We were bummed that the photographer was not there to capture river rafting pictures for that part of our vacation. Shane in reservations was very helpful. He answered all our questions & never seemed too busy for our time. We had no problems with check in/out . We enjoyed the community campfire. It gave us the chance to meet about 5 of our neighbors. We even combined our meals for our families. We stayed during the weekend & a few days during the week. I will say that Sat & Sun were a bit busy around the resort, what do you expect. By Monday & Tue. the resort was very peaceful.
Our family is already making plans to return soon. We feel coming from out of state, we have found a nice little get away. Thank you Glenwood Canyon resort.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

I only camped there, so I don't Know the rooms, but the Cottages seemed nice. The Location is Great and Perfect for a stop over rafting tour and biking or hiking along the river. Rafting is great here: 3 departing times per day and different tours, perfect. Prices are not cheap, but ok. Will do that again.

• Stayed July 2010
Westminster, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

No customer service, no consistent communication with the customer or amongst themselves and no ability to satisfy. This campground doesn't care about you or your comfort. Every time I spoke to Carla she would ask "Can I help you?" in a tone that said "What do you want now?" They can't keep track of any information regarding your needs nor do they care about your needs. I was camping with a small group of girl scouts and their families, so Carla directed me to the "group sites". She failed to inform me that these are really community sites, requiring the cooking area to be shared by all sites (15+ sites) in the area, no matter if they are with your group or not. Granted, I should have asked more questions, but I assumed that everyone knew that scouts cook on the fireand sing around it at night. I asked them what we should do and they suggested I take over the cooking area. When I asked about what the other people using the "group site" would do, they said "tough, first come first served." Luckily, someone else had a problem with no campfire ability so they built a fire ring that we used on one or our sites. The only people who asked about my stay were two very nice ladies on the housekeeping staff.

We also rafted with Rock Garden Rafting. Our guide was nice enough, but you have to deal with Carla and the office staff to get to the rafting. Again, due to a miscommunication, we had to wait 45 minutes after our trip ended for our bus to arrive.

I received an email from Carla a week after our stay saying we didn't pay, luckily I can keep track of such things, otherwise I am sure they would have charged me twice!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Glenwood Canyon Resort? Share your experiences!