“Pleasantly surprised!” 4 of 5 stars

526 Pine St., Glenwood Springs, CO 81601   |
Denver, Colorado
“Pleasantly surprised!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband and I had a relaxing getaway at the Hotel Colorado after a scenic trip from Denver on Amtrak. The lobby was welcoming, with a crackling fire in the hearth, and we were happy to see that our room had been recently redecorated. Our two night stay included a few trips to the hot springs pool, which is conveniently located right across the street. The best surprise was that we liked the hotel's restaurant/lounge food so much that we saw no need to go elsewhere to dine. Every meal had fresh, creative offerings and included something on the menu for every taste. Do consider treating yourselves to a weekend at this lovely historic hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

309 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
MORRISON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed here several years ago and wanted to stay again, because I had nice memories of the first time around, so my husband and I stayed last weekend for our anniversary. We had a small room with a king-sized bed (no "sitting room" attached to this one). My least favorite thing was the plastic sheeting / mattress protector which caused us both to wake up sweating and stuck to the bed. The bathroom ceiling was stained and starting to peel, and the faucet needed repair though we were able to get it to shut off by turning the handle to the middle. We listened to the radiator clicking all night whenever it was time for it to come on. The cleaning crew didn't show up until 5 PM to clean the room (we stayed two nights), and did not replace all the towels/wash cloths. The service in the restaurant was extraordinarily slow (I believe they were understaffed). They were in the process of decorating for Christmas - and I hope that's why they only left the outdoor Christmas lights on for a couple hours (if that) each evening. We loved the location most of all, as we were able to walk back and forth to the pool and across the bridge to restaurants and shopping. Next time we'll try another place though.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We were on our way to Glenwood Springs from Denver and was not sure if we would make it on Saturday, Nov. 10th ,but due to foggy dangerous drive, we decided to go the next day, which we're glad we did. We did not made the reservation because we were not sure about the weather, but we made it there. We arrived around 1:30 P.M. Though we did not made the reservation, we called to see if there's room available.

We spoke with Artur and during check in, Artur assisted us with our room. We did not realized he will give us the room with private room which is three beds and great for my 2 children (each has their own bed).

I am not too picky for rooms for as long as the room is clean. We are aware the hotel is pretty "OLD", so I am taking blaming or complaining about that. Though we has minor issue with the Barron's Restaurant. We stood there for over five minutes witho no one to help us to seat us (as it was on the board to wait to be seated).

We finally asked Artur at the front desk to get someone to help us, but other than that, the stay was nice.

Room Tip: Ask for 3 beds if you have children with you, this will provide you some privacy for you and your sp...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
SW Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

What a shame the current ownership and management of this once grand hotel have chosen to allow it to deteriorate! I stayed on the 4th floor, which I later learned was a mistake as rooms on this floor are not among the better rooms within the hotel. I have stayed in a number of finely restored historic properties, and this one would surely not make the list. Evidence of years of deferred maintenance is throughout the hotel and within my room the cracked and missing tile grout, chipped and worn wall surfaces and the gaping space around the door and frame were but a few indications how badly this property has been starved of capital. Truly a fabulous hotel in its day, but, unlike other historic hotels that have been properly restored and well-maintained, this one either needs a large infusion of cash or, to be taken down to make room for a new high-end lodging property on its site. The plus was the very helpful staff at the front desk when I checked in and checked out the following morning. Grossly overpriced! Save yourself a hundred or so, take a walking tour of the property, then stay down the street.

Room Tip: If you must stay, get a room on the first or second floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Basalt, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just wanted to say that the customer service at the Hotel Colorado was outstanding when ,my mother and I and our three dogs stayed there. They gave us the EXACT room we had requested- we needed bottom floor, with easy access to the outside courtyard. Kimberly, the front desk manager, arranged all of this for us well in advance of our stay to set our minds at ease. She was so nice, pleasant, upbeat, and efficient. Both when we booked the room and when we actually came for our stay.

Also, the waiter in the restaurant went out of his way to but our breakfast on a large tray so we could also take that outside to the courtyard, even thought the outdoor restaurant had been shut down for the season.

I would definitely stay here again and I highly recommend this hotel to those visiting Glenwood Springs, Colorado.

Our dogs were treated very well also!

Room Tip: Bottom floor rooms have easy access outdoors for your pets.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Centennial, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Beautiful old hotel, nicely upgraded to modern standards, with an eye to the past with the plethora of antiques and old-timy "feel." This hotel has a great history and there are reminders everywhere of the dignitaries, etc who have stayed there over the years.
Very clean rooms and common areas, and the staff is very friendly. The only issue I have is that there are no package deals/discounts/etc with the Glenwood Hot Springs pool; a disappointment, given the fact that it is directly across the street. Also disappointing is the lack of in-room coffee and in room hair blow dryers (really?? in this day and age??)
There are better values in town, such as the new Hotel Glenwood, which offers its own indoor pool/water slide; as well as discounts for the tram/cave tours.
I would not recommend this amenity for folks with small children. The rooms (at least mine) are heated with old fashioned radiators; a nice touch, but dangerous to those little fingers.
Also of note as a caution, their free Wi-Fi is nice, but is currently set up as a network share...once I signed in and took note of my computer preferences, I could see other guests' shared folders on their computers...be advised and be ware...I advised the staff and they seemed unaware. If you're traveling as a family, do your homework before settling on this one.

Room Tip: See if you can check out a room first...ours had a floor mounted door stop that we tripped over non...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Crested Butte, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The Hotel Colorado is a fantastic historic hotel, The beds were comfortable as they have replaced all the mattresses the last few years. The rooms were not horribly exciting but why are you sitting in your room in a town like Glenwood? The Hot springs is just across the Street and Restaurant row is just beyond that making it very convenient. Make sure you go on the History tour if you can, it was great, also the Trout and Eggs for breakfast was wonderful (make sure you learn the story behind this dish!) Remember this is a Historic hotel not a brand new building and as such will have quirks.

Room Tip: The Molly Brown suite is fantastic if you can afford it...WE saw it on the history tour...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Colorado? Share your experiences!