“We do not recommend this place” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Caverns/ Caves, Spas
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The Vapor Caves are other-worldly and perfect for relaxing after a day of outdoor activities.
Gladwyne, Pennsylvania, United States
“We do not recommend this place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

You are better off having a nice treatment in an upscale Spa. I was unable to relax and enjoy a treatment here because the atmosphere is very sub-par. Others have described it as no-frills but it is actually gross. I did not want to touch the plastic shower curtains that separate spaces, or sit down in the caves. Are those puddles or sweat? We made a decision to leave within minutes of arriving. Although we did not stay for our treatment, there was nothing visually redeeming or relaxing about this place. Very disappointing!

Visited November 2013

Los Angeles, California
49 attraction reviews
“Great experience, even though you share it strangers.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

The massages we got were great and the vapor caves were relaxing and I could tell why it was so popular with the locals. The only problem is that you need to remember your own sandals, otherwise you'll be walking thru puddles of other peoples sweat along rough concrete of the vapor caves. There isn't really any room for privacy, so get ready to be surrounded by people that seem to have gotten over any shyness and shame and sprawl out next to you and seem to attempt to show you how much they enjoy the vapor caves, as if its a competition.

All in all it was a unique experience, though I don't think I would go back unless I bring my own sandals, towel and a slight bit less shame of sweating profusely in public.

Visited July 2013
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Really, really strange.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We were a bit thrown off by the "hotsprings vapor caves" thing- assuming that there were actual hot springs we could soak in. After finding out that there were no spring pools, however, we still decided to give the vapor caves a try. While the staff was very friendly and accomodating, the place itself was very run-down. It was like being thrown into a time machine back to 1950- and not the fun parts of that era. The locker room was TINY and even though it wasn't exactly "busy" (we went on a Monday afternoon in the off season) there were still plenty of people coming in and out of them. The vapor caves themselves were, well- caves. They were cool in the fact that they were naturally vaporous and sort of steam-room like, but there were so many big, sweaty men that it made me feel gross and dirty just by going in. My boyfriend and I didn't stay long, as the "relaxation area" was also not very relaxing- but more like a cheap- feeling, fake-plant lounge at an old Holiday Inn. We literally left after about ten minutes because we felt so uncomfortable. I wouldn't necessarily say it was a bad place, just weird...and very misleading.

Visited November 2013
12 attraction reviews
“Unique”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

The Yampah Spa and Vapor Caves is a block east of the hot springs pool facility. The friendly staff checked me in, gave me a towel and explained the facilities. The locker facility is quite small.

Once changed you descend a set of steps into the first area of the caves. The first area is about 100 degrees 100% humidity. Home in St. Louis in July was my reaction. Much of the cave are natural rock, some walls are sprayed concrete which blends well with rock. The benches are marble slabs. After acclimating I passed the plastic shower curtain into the main part of the cave. This area is considerably hotter and just as humid. There are several small rooms. I ended up with my own room, but that obviously depends on the number in the cave..

There was no sulfur or strong chemical smell that i was expecting, more of a herbal scent. My suspicion is that rather than steam directly from the hot springs, they use the heat to vaporize cleaner water with herbs added. Water and a shower is available in the cave for cooling, let it run a bit to get to the cool water as the initial water is at cave temperature.

Upon leaving the cave I visited the solarium. Water is available and their is quiet music. A nice place to relax and recover from the cave. Showers, like the locker facility are quite small.

Your paid admission is good for all day. You can visit, leave, and return at no additional charge. I did not utilize the spa services.

Overall I found it a unique, interesting, and rejuvenating experience.

Visited August 2013
Leadville, Colorado
9 attraction reviews
“Unique experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I had an appointment for a massage and facial, so I came early to use the vapor caves. I enjoyed the caves and the solarium to rest. It seemed like the ladies shower was not available that day, but my only real complaint is the ladies locker room can't really fit 4 women at once. My massage was great, she even did reiki on me, but better sound control between massage rooms would be nice. My facial was great too. I'd go back.

Visited October 2013