“Rustic, basic, clean, effort to improve” 4 of 5 stars

Georgetown Mountain Inn
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   1100 Rose St., P.O. Box 277, Georgetown, CO 80444-0277   |
Ranked #3 of 8 Georgetown B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“Rustic, basic, clean, effort to improve”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Georegetown is a small village along the interstate. It is known as a historic place with some old buildings. It is the nearest place to Loveland ski area. It is so small that there only a few hotels there. Mountain Inn fills the niche of basic and rustic, yet not too industrial and customer friendly hotel. It has been under a new management since January 2012. Dan, the new manager, lives on the property and makes everything he can do within his budget and abilities to make this place better and to eliminate many of the complains which customers had in the past - from improved customer service to renovation and to web and social media presence. He is very attentive to the needs of the customers. All stages of my interaction with him in late October of 2012 - from telephone reservation to checkout - were better than I can remember at any hotel. There is some refurbishment work going on, so some rooms may look newer than the others. There were reports of noise coming from the freeway, but this was not an issue at all in my room. The room was spatious and clean.

Having said that, there are many creature comfort items which became standard in the hotel industry which are not offered, or at least one has to ask for them.

1. The breakfast is minimal (juice/hot chocolate/coffee and mini-muffins), and the full breakfast choices around the hotel are between limited to none, depending on the season. To be fair, this inn was never designed with the breakfast in mind - there is just no room for offering breakfast, so those 10 square feet of space allocated for snack is the best the manager can do. It is still better than nothing - if nothing else, it makes you warm and cozy in the morning. I ended up buying bread, cheese, and yoghurt at a food store to make my own breakfast and ate it with hot chocolate from the lobby.

2. There are no coffee makers in the room and no hot water in the lobby outside of breakfast hours. When I asked for hot water to make tea, the lady at the front desk told suggested that I boil water in the microwave. She would be better off just apologizing for not being able to offer it.

3. There are no pens in the room and nothing to write on.

4. Irons and ironing boards are not offered in the rooms but one can borrow one from the front desk if needed.

5. My table had a fabulous wooden table but - as one can expect with a motel build years ago - there was no electrical outlet anywhere near it. For those who plan to work on a laptop, it could be an inconvenience. Even the task of finding where to plug in a charger can be somewhat challenging.

6. The motel offers only soap - no shampoo or conditioner.

7. Microwaves are fairly new, but their indicator panels are very bright and are faced against the bed - which bothered me when going to sleep.

8. Pillows are small and just two of them per bed. I was lucky to have two beds for me alone, so I used all 4 pillows - which worked out great for me. I could not say that matresses were not comfortable.

9. The motel has not switched to electronic key cards yet. You get a real key. Feels a little unusual but works just fine...

On the positive side, there is a free Wi-Fi, there is a computer and a printer in the lobby to print a boarding pass, there is a hot tub in the backyard (which did not look too inviting for me since it was cold outside, but I saw people using it), and a quite small swimming pool (which could benefit from some repairs) enclosed in an outdoor structure which resembles a hot house. The parking is conveniently located right by the building on almost all sides of the motel, so there is always a possibility to park close to your door or stairs. The building is just 2 floors, so there is no elevator. There is no fitness center at the inn. The location is within short walking distance from everything in Georgetown, and just a block from the freeway entrance. There is a pizza place (which is ranked as #1 restaurant in Georgetown on Tripadvisor) right in front of the motel, and Euro Grill (another top ranked place) is across the street.

To summarize, it is a quite decent place as long as the visitor calibrates his expectations and does not expect that it will be an equivalent of a Hilton at as Super 8 price. It is simple and rustic, lacks some minor things offered by bigger brands, but it is clean and friendly, and the reasonable price reflects the offered level of amenities. Fine place to stay when you travel on budget.

Some people complained about room service - but I actually liked that they have room service on request. I knew it was available to me on any day or every day if I wanted it, but I have chosen to live without it and I liked that I do not have to worry about leaving my belongings lying around the room as I want and do not need to worry arout room maid misplacing them. I do not need fresh towels and new linens every day. This practice is environmentally friendly and helps to cut down the cost (nothing is free - every service we get is a part of the room price which we pay).

And the last but not the least, I am grateful to the manager Dan for his attention and his efforts to make every visitor's stay as pleasant as possible. People like he make a difference in the hotel industry!

Room Tip: Call the motel and talk to the manager about your needs and preferences. They have different types o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
GTMI, General Manager at Georgetown Mountain Inn, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for the complimentary words - especially about me in particular.
Also, thank you for going into so much detail about the property and the traveler's tips.

So many people bring their own preferred brand of shampoo, that we keep the complimentary soap and shampoo at the desk and guests are welcome to come by and pick it up from the desk, or ask for it to be delivered to the room. The same goes for extra pillows, blankets, coffee makers (which I'll talk to the owner about installing in every room, we currently have five extras),
pen/paper, extension cords, irons and ironing boards - about everything a traveler would need
from a hotel with decent rooms, Colorado rooms, a Suite, and an indoor heated pool and outdoor hot tub.

Several of the rooms were remodeled around 2002 or so, but there are no current plans to continue - although I would like to see that and will approach the owner.

Housekeeping is upon request for extended stays. Part of the reason for this is to be "green" and afterall, most people do not change their sheets and towels on a daily basis at home.
If they want daily service, then we will happily accomodate. The other part of the reason that housekeeping is upon request is that a lot of guests prefer to be left alone to run on their own schedule during their stay, or they have had negative experiences elsewhere with housekeeping.
A popular option is towel replacement and trash removal - again something we will easily do or
something that guests can stop by the desk at anytime to get taken care of.

I apparently was not clear about breakfast places because there are five full breakfast places
within approximatley 7 blocks maximum. Eds' Cafe, and the Happy Cooker downtown, Mountain Buzz across the footbridge and around the corner from us, and Whistle Stop and Blue Sky towards the highway on ramps. All with good offerings. (My staple is the Juevos Rancheros at Ed's with hash browns and kind of spicy and flavorful green chili.)

Thank you again for taking a lot of time to write a helpful review. For future guests, please contact me or my staff for anything you need for your stay, or for any issues which need to be resolved. And for us, or any other lodging property, please get with a representative and give us a chance to make things right as it is happening - not at check out, or after you leave.

Very Truly Yours,
Dan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

we had a great stay, rooms were clean, staff was awesome, location was easy to locate, beds were okay, im used to like 5 pillows but didnt want to hog them up,,would definitely stay again. Went up for a project and had 2 rooms reserved but only ended up needing one and front desk staff had no problems cancelling the other room late in the afternoon...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
GTMI, General Manager at Georgetown Mountain Inn, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Hi Monica,

Very glad you enjoyed your stay and that we could accomodate
for that particular situation.

Even more pillows would not have been a problem. :<)

Thank you for staying and commenting here.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Stayed several nights on a motorcycle trip. Staff let us keep a truck and motorcycle trailer while we visited friends elsewhere. comfortable but dated room. No A/C just a fan. Quiet location but walls/floors are thin. Good restaurant next door.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for the compliments and the time you took to write,
and for visiting us.

While the walls are a bit thin, I will do all I can to keep things
quiet before or after our 10 PM quiet time. And, we
have no problem allowing guests to try another room - unless
we are already fully occupied.

Thanks,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Cycling through the Rockies I needed help with a few things out of the ordinary and all the folks at the inn were just great.

Proactive in helping me with my bike and the logistics with shipping my luggage.

A great little travellers rest in a beautiful old town.

• Stayed August 2012
GTMI, General Manager at Georgetown Mountain Inn, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
John,

We really appreciate your taking time to post here.

It was no work and a pleasure to help you on your cycling trip.

To me it's quite a feat when people come to our Town and Inn
from another conitinent on a bicycle tour.

La Crosse, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel for years and would not consider another location (unless there was no vacancy). The "log rooms" are beautiful and the bathrooms are unbelievably spacious and clean. The hotel has a policy of not changing linens or towels during extended stays unless requested. If you request the service, management does so without hesitation. This is a great environmentally friendly policy. The pool and hot tub are wonderful. The staff is friendly and very accommodating. I would highly recommend this hotel and certainly plan to return.

Room Tip: HIghly recommend the rooms with log furniture.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
GTMI, General Manager at Georgetown Mountain Inn, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Dear Brad4800,

Thank you so much for the review and the pointers in the review.

We will happily and immediately respond to any guest concern
and actually prefer the chance to respond during the stay, not after.

Our housekeeping policy is environmentally friendly, and allows the guest
to have their privacy or sleep in or whatever they prefer.

Thank you again.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed one night at the Georgetown Mountain Inn ( Colorado Style Room - 2 doubles and 1 single on the lower floor)......Used the inn as a base to climb Mt Bierstadt. We arrived late at around 11pm and the check-in was very smooth. Both the room and the bathroom looked newly remodeled. Room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. Bathrooom was spotless as well. Cannot comment on the breakfast since we left at 6am and the breakfast starts at 7am. All in all a very comfortable stay for a good value.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
GTMI, General Manager at Georgetown Mountain Inn, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Prashant,

Thank you very much for this review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

We are in a great location as we are about an hour or less
to such places as Rocky Mountain National Park, Winter Park,
Mt. Evans, Mt. Bierstadt, Grey's and Torrey's Peaks,
Ski Loveland, Guanella Pass, Breckenridge, Arapahoe Basin,
Keystone, Copper Mountain, and Vail. Local shops, restaurants, mine tours...
as well.

Thank you again.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Just OK. Won't stay again.
Limited plugs in room for charging electronics. TV, cable box and light all plugged into a 3-way adapter.
Wi-Fi poor signal, could not use with smart phone.
Walls very thin and board walk at room entrances upper and lower floors make for much noise. Wife is a light sleeper, she could her the lady in adjoining room clearing her throat all night.
Limited parking area.
Breakfast -mini muffins, coffee and juice.
Vent fan in bathroom had bad bearing/bushing, made worrible noises so couldn't run it to drown out thin wall noises.
Probably far enough from I-70 if trucks would not use Engine Brakes!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Georgetown Mountain Inn, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Hello,

I am very sorry you did not enjoy your stay.
If you talked to me or my staff, we would have done all we
could to make you happy.

The building was built in 1964, and we try to do the best we can
with the structure in place, and we price point accordingly for the
hotel we are.

As for your other points:

The bathroom fan is probably hitting the casing and needs to be aligned, or unplugged if it can't be aligned.

We do have power strips available upon request to provide more power outlets.
(They have a tendency to wander off if we leave them in the rooms.)

We will enforce our excessive noise and 10 PM quiet time policies.

The current wifi signal gets stronger towards the office and the meeting
point of our two buildings (We are L shaped). We installed a third wifi device (access point)
in order to provide a strong signal throughout the hotel. We thought we had
a defective device and went through a warranty replacement, which also turned out
not to work, So, we are returning all those devices and getting a different brand
which should be installed by 7/11/12.

We try to be careful in our marketing materials and what we tell guests about our complimentary continental breakfast. It meets the common definition of "continental breakfast" and is coffee, muffins, juice, and hot water for the tea and hot chocolate we provide.

There is parking around our entire property and 50' across the street from the office.
When we are at 80% to 100% of capacity as we have been since mid June, people often unload close to their room and then park for the night.

Thank you for your comments and feel free to talk to me for next time.

Very Truly Yours,
GTMI

Been to Georgetown Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!