“Strange place” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Fountain
Lakewood, CO
“Strange place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

It's been over a year since the last review of this motel, but nothing much seems to have changed. As others have said, it's hard to find because it's off the exit and in the middle of a sort of industrial area--plus a truck stop and large adult video store. Nothing much for eating opportunities unless you like truck stop grub (and it's nearly 7 miles to the nearest WalMart or grocery). It looks popular with truckers, perhaps because it has a very large back lot. But the poor lighting and sketchy neighborhood made me pretty nervous to leave my trailer parked.

You'd think that if it's going to be off the beaten track, it would at least be quiet. Nope--we were awoken both nights by train whistles, and there is some highway noise. Normally, I'd leave the A/C fan on low to cover up these noises, but this AC unit was wacky. It had fan choices of High/Low/Auto, but no matter where you set it, it worked in Auto mode (i.e., it only came on when thermostat decided it was time for cooling). And the thermostat seemed to have a mind of its own too--we could set it for 60 or 70, and the temperature was pretty much the same (I'd guess mid-70s--not bad, but not as cool as I would have liked it--it was actually cooler in the hallways which is rare for this class of motel.)

So, about cleanliness. My 19 year old son was staying with me, and his first comment walking down the hall was that it smelled smokey, even though all the doors were marked Non Smoking. We entered our room and it smelled smokey inside too. And no wonder--on the dresser were two ashtrays--with ashes still in them!

He then goes to take a shower and there's no soap or shampoo. It's been a while since I've been to a motel without shampoo, but I came prepared with our own--but have you ever stayed in a motel with no soap?? So I walked down to the front desk, and he hands me a couple little bars of soap and says (quite politely), "Is there anything else wrong witn your room.?" Now he said it nicely, and I made the request for the soap quite politely, so I don't think he was being sarcastic--I think he truly expected there to be other problems. So I decided to tell him about the ashtrays. He walked over to the computer, checked, and said, "You're in a non-smoking room." I said, "Yeah, I know, that's why it's pretty odd to have ashtrays--with ashes--in the room." His response, "Huh!"

We decide not to make a fuss about it, and my son goes into the bathroom with the soap, and calls out, "There's hair on the floor--lots of it." Now, remember, this is a 19 year old guy who's living with three other guys in a college apartment. If he notices the hair, you know it's bad! Interestingly, the second night we come in to find a bottle of shampoo and both bath and hand soap. So I guess they do provide it--the maid must have been asleep (or drunk, stoned, angry?) the first time.

Beyond that, our stay wasn't too bad. The beds and pillows are nothing to write home about, but this is Super 8, not a Marriott. The TV gets lots of channels, though they'd periodically go off, followed by a mysterious message about the account being cancelled. Breakfast included two cereals (Raisin Bran and some kind of Cap'n Crunch for the kiddies), standard motel-issue "premium danishes", bagels and toast, OK coffee and watered-down OJ. Not bad for the price. On the upside, the wi-fi was free, fast, and no-hassles (i.e., no password required.)

All in all, the best thing I can say was this place was that it was cheap and close to PPIR. But next time I'd stay at someplace nicer in south Colorado Springs and put up with the extra drive.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

"Crazy" is quoting the ?manager? when I asked her to describe the motel.
Clean and quiet it's not. This motel is self centered vs customer centered. Way too casual and unprofessional.
Front entrance is a turn off. Big trash can overflowing with cigarette butts. Staff and guests smoking in a couple old chairs right by the front door. A big scuzzy BBQ by the trash can.
Rooms not clean. Laundry room dirty, no detergent, dryer didn't get clothes dry after 2 cycles.
Some guys worked on a couple cars in the parking lot behind the building one day.
Animal control was there one day trying to trap some racoons in the dumpster behind the motel.

Positive aspects are very lenient with closing time on the free breakfast.
We stayed 6 nites and had 3 rooms. 3 couples, 1 with a 2 yr old.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Fountain hotels

Fritch texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2007

We stayed at this super 8 on 7-25-2007. On 8-26-2007 my credit card was charged again for the same amount as when we stayed.I could not get any response from the motel and had to get super 8 headquarters involved.My credit card has now had to be canceled due to all the fraud charges on my card.These people were very rude and unfriendly. I do not recomend this motel to anyone and will be very sceptical about staying in a super 8 again. We stayed at The best Western Acadamy in Colorado Springs the next night and this was an awsome place to stay.We will stay there whenever we go to Colorado again.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
West Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2007

Not a horrible place, actually pretty much your standard Super 8 by the highway and behind the truckstop. It was tricky finding the property from the road. Front desk person very pleasant and efficient even though it was obvious she was running the place by herself. She was reluctant to give us a couple of extra towels and we thought that odd. Nothing fancy here. Don't look for any pictures on the walls. Fridge and microwave in room. Decent shower - and that can always overcome plenty of other shortcomings. Would I seek this motel out? No. I'd head on up to Colorado Springs. But if I had business here again and needed a place to sleep; considering my choices . . . I'd stay here again. The price reflects the quality and you will get what you pay for.

• Liked — Convenient to Highway
  • Disliked — Butter Popcorn Smell Throughout the Building
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2007

This was the worst hotel we had on this ten day trip. The location was hard to get to, the beds had thin mattresses which were very uncomfortable and we couldn't get extra towels. The lady at the desk said she that she had worked two very long days and it was showing in the way she treated the guests. If it hadn't been so late when we got here, we would have looked for another place to stay.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Super 8 Fountain? Share your experiences!