“Favorite breakfast spot” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Laporte, Colorado
“Favorite breakfast spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Unfortunately I went there last week and it was closed and empty!!! Is it really gone? So disappointing! The food was always great, as was the coffee. Especially love the rosemary toast. I never had any complaints about the service. Once my coffee was week, when I complained, it was promptly and cheerfully refilled with a stronger batch that is their flavorful norm.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Fort Collins, Colorado
“After several visits the food has been decent, but service is poor at best!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We have been to Dempseys several times for breakfast and the food has always been decent if not very good for a breakfast. However, we have never had good service here, and on Fathers Day it was especially bad. Over 1/3rd of the tables were empty and they had a thirty minute wait. They were obviously short staffed and the hostess ended up getting us our drinks before the server ended up taking our order. Our food has never been bad here, but waiting to get our food made it not worth going back. If they could keep staff and streamline their service from hostess's down to the servers they would have a great restaurant.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Owner cares less”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Fort Collins is home to several excellent restaurants; however, Dempseys is not one of them.

Dempseys is one of Fort Collins’ best restaurants only if you love being treated like a third world citizen throughout your entire dining experience. I’ve been a Fort Collins resident for 30 years and I’ve never encountered such poor attitudes and service anywhere in my entire my life. If you enjoy being rushed and treated rudely, then Dempseys in Fort Collins is the place for you!

After finally having a free weekend to spend with my wife, we decided to treat ourselves to a nice meal. We considered several other restaurants before settling on Dempseys and boy do we regret it. Upon our arrival, we were quickly seated without a wait, which was the most positive part of our visit; although, we now understand why there was no wait. After being seated, we waited almost ten minutes. Finally, our server arrived and abruptly asked if we were ready to order. There was no friendly greeting, no smile, no “hello, welcome to Dempseys, how is your morning going?” She simply walked up to our table and snarled “are you ready to order?”

We should have followed our instincts and left then because it only got worse. Our servers bad attitude really escalated when we started asking questions about items on the menu. Apparently, this server does not like when people ask questions. My wife asked how the Chai Tea was prepared; to which the server responded “it’s Chai Tea.” As if to insinuate my wife is an idiot for even asking. Again, we remained patient, hoping the servers attitude would improve.

When our server returned, our drinks were slammed down on the table and, again, she snarled “are you ready”, in a very rude tone of voice. I asked what kind of sausage was used in one of their dishes because I don’t do well with spicy foods; to which our server responded “it’s sausage, you know, sausage”. Like, come on you idiot, don’t you know what sausage is? When I asked if that was a weird question, our server responded with “yes, it is a weird question”. How could you be in the restaurant business and not know that there are multiple kinds of sausage (i.e.-pork sausage, kielbasa, Andouille, chorizo, etc.). Why was this so hard to answer? And why was it so important for this woman to make her customers feel like idiots?

Eventually, the server became very argumentative and combative. We finally decided to get up and leave. To say the least, I’m not a fan of spending money at a restaurant and, essentially, paying for someone to treat me and my wife like crap on our day off. Our server looked at me and said “fine, leave, just leave.” It gets better …

On our way out, we asked to speak with a manager, thinking someone might actually care about the business. Our server, AnnMarie, returned, with a smirk on her face and said “oh yeah, that’s right, I own this place”. At this point, I was astonished. I’ve never met a business owner that cared less about customers or her business. AnnMarie has no business being in the restaurant business. She put her hand in my wife’s face and told us both to leave. I told AnnMarie that we would not be returning and she responded saying “fine”. I also explained we would be telling everyone we know not to visit her establishment. AnnMarie then said “fine, I don’t care, just leave”. Well, I can say, AnnMarie truly does not care. She doesn’t care about her customers or Dempseys and she ought to be ashamed of herself for treating any human being as poorly as she did; especially her own customers.

We came to enjoy a nice meal at Dempseys and we left feeling very frustrated and disappointed. Save your money and visit a restaurant (and owner) that actually gives a damn about whether you enjoy dining in their establishment. I recommend Lucilles, Austins, Blue Bird, or Back Porch Café. We finally settled on Café Vino, where we’ve never had a bad experience and we’re always treated with dignity and respect. Never in my life have I ever been insulted for having the audacity to ask questions about a menu.

When it comes to AnnMarie and Dempseys; remember one thing: run like hell. Save your money and go elsewhere.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
austin
“Dempsey's”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Our family has been to Dempsey's several times and we have had nothing but good food and excellent service. Our favs are their breakfast offerings and the hot Monte Cristo sandwich.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
ft collins
“ehhhh”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

service was sloppy, they couldnt get us coffee, no one knew how to make a fresh pot, food was burnt, they were busy so i know things can get crazy, but nothing steers me to go back

Visited November 2012