“Very Dissapointing” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairplay Hotel

The Fairplay Hotel
You added The Fairplay Hotel to your Saves list
The Fairplay Hotel
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   500 Main Street, Fairplay, CO 80440 (Formerly Fairplay-Valiton Hotel)   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Fairplay B&B and Inns
Avon, Colorado
“Very Dissapointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We showed up at the hotel at 9pm and they had given our room away even though they had our credit card and new we were arriving late. The front desk could have cared less.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011 via mobile

Tired, altitude-lagged and quite far from my actual destination, I knew I needed to stop for the night and then go on in the morning. The Fairplay-Valotin looked perfect to me as I drove by, and I was right. The owner, Constance, was welcoming and kind, and the young male staff --- her son, plus a small clutch of others --- were polite, friendly, helpful. If only every little town had such a place! Historic but comfy, not fancy but plain in a good way, it's more European than American, really, in feel --- except it's so clearly a Western survival. Don't miss the charming old-style bar!

• Stayed July 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

If you like staying at a Marriott this is not your place. The owner will check you in and her son was working the bar. The place is old and the aminities are few but it has some character and it's supposed to be haunted. The weekend we stayed there was a large group of paranormals staying there. They had all these cameras and detectors set up throughout the hotel. There's a restaurant which we only ate breakfast at which was pretty good. It's right in town so everthing is walkable. The rooms are old, the bathrooms small and the beds are also old. We like these strange little places, so we enjoyed our stay. Fairplay is the home to the fictional town of Southpark.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

I would stay here again if the owner wasn't the rudest woman I ever encountered. Seriously, I don't think I've EVER even sent food back. I never complain, but this woman was unbelievable for someone in the hospitality business. I wouldn't give her another dime toward her profession, because she simply doesn't deserve it! I won't go into details, but assure you, if you encounter her, her shinning personality will come through.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Constance54, Owner at The Fairplay Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
I treat all of my guests fairly and politely, but will not have the guest decide the hotel policies.ie: when she will pay the bill. Upon arrival, she told my son she would pay cash upon check out. When I found out of this arrangement, I told her we needed to run her CC or get the cash up front. This angered her that I knocked on the door during her party and she became very indignant. I was very polite, but firm.
I was very accommodating to this family, but this woman was confrontational and arrived with a bad attitude. Even with that, I was polite and even tempered. She refused maid service for the 2 days, but I offered clean towels, toilet paper . She came out of the room and held a wet, dirty towel in my face, and I asked her to place it in the laundry basket that was 2 feet away from her. She became very indignant and threw the towel. She later called me on the phone and said I was rude for not touching the dirty towel. I told her I was cooking in the kitchen and was extremely busy at that moment.
We had a dance later that evening and they attended and were treated well by all, myself included. No matter what we did, she was in a foul mood.
Please remove this unfair review. We try to make everyone happy here!
Constance and staff
Fairplay Valiton Hotel
Fairplay, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

My family and I have stayed at the Fairplay many times over the past year, and our stay has always been very good. The rooms are always clean, the bedding is very comfortable, and the breakfasts are great in the restaurant located off the main lobby. The Fairplay-Valiton is a pet friendly hotel which is a very rare find. We found the owner available, and accomodating if there were any issues with the TV, or hot water. This is a classic historic building, and is a charming alternative to the highway hotels.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Fairplay Hotel? Share your experiences!