“Terrible hotel, Terrible staff” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #16 of 23 hotels in Englewood
Kearney, Nebraska
“Terrible hotel, Terrible staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stayed here in April and was completely dissatisfied with my stay. First, I called around 9:00pm that night to let them know I wouldn't be checking in until around 5:00am and that I WOULD be there. When I arrived, at 5:13am, the front desk gentlemen acted like I didn't have a reservation. He wanted my confirmation number and said with a rude tone that he was told I would arrive around 3:00am and since I didn't show he cancelled my reservation that was a 2 night stay. I was not happy after driving 6 hours to get there in the middle of the night. Then after waiting 15 more minutes he hands me keys and a paper for me to sign that were sitting next to him the entire time. So he had my reservation and information to begin with but had to have me wait a total of 20 minutes to check in... I wanted to switch my credit card and he said I was already charged! What kind of hotel ALREADY CHARGES you? I have worked at a hotel for 5 years and I know that your card may be authorized at check in but not charged. I wanted the amount they charged me to be refunded and put on a different card but he said he would have to have someone else do that. I told him fine I would like a phone call later that day from the General Manager he said he would. I never got a phone call from the general manager for the 2 days I stayed. When my fiance went done to the desk to check us out he waited 15 minutes before someone came up to the desk, which was the general manager, who said he would find someone to check us out. Did not help us out at all! Besides that, the staff takes personal phone calls at the desk and they DON'T ASK FOR A PHOTO ID AT CHECK IN even when I gave my credit card! That is mandatory. TERRIBLE STAY!

Room Tip: Believe all bad reviews.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Glenn W, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Meridian Business Center, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for the review of your stay with us in April. New management has been brought to this hotel since your stay. Understanding the challenges before us with regards to the lack of staff training, we have made significant progress in this area. Since I have been on board as the General Manager, we have implemented many changes. Some of the changes you addressed as issues during your stay. If you have an opportunity to visit our area in the future, please feel free to reach out to me. I would enjoy the opportunity to accommodate you under new management and our new staff training.

Glenn W.

46 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
nashville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

As someone that has worked in the hospitality industry for many years, I find it a total lack of customer service when the reserved room is not available. Let me clarify - if you book a certain type of room, and another guest that was already in the hotel decides to spend another night, at least have the courtesy to pick up the phone and call the one with the reservation. This is happening way too frequently.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Meridian Business Center, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear ezdays,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns. I apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced.

We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Thank you again for your comments. Your business is valued and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG properties.

Regards,

Brenda J.
eMedia Coordinator
Oakland, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed here for 13 days. The area is loaded with shops, grocery store, movie theater, etc. but you have to drive. This place was OK. Not OK like alright. OK like so-so. Its definitely on the lower end of the Candlewood scale. Check in was good and they seemed to have fixed the odor problem others wrote about, as I didn't notice anything. The room was fine, clean and properly stocked. The pillows were soft so I went to front desk to get firm ones. Since they had to wait for clean cases he said he would bring them to my room, which after a little while he did. Since I had 2 beds I only exchanged pillows on one and after I put the new cases on the firm pillows I noticed a huge difference. The new cases were fresh and white the other cases were so dirty they were literally yellow! Clearly they do not clean the cases after each stay. OK I understand not cleaning the spread, but the pillow cases have scalp oils, drool, acne ooze and who knows what else from each person. I often throw extra pillows on the floor to block sound and light from under the door. They should be cleaned every time and these looked to have gone several months! Yuk Thankfully I do bring my own pillow to sleep on. On the plus side the firm pillows were very nice.

The bed was firm, the decor is the usual Candlewood updates except they opted for the cheap looking light cabinets over the dark espresso with glass inserts that I usually see. The desk/eating table was a bit small but workable. The bathroom was OK. Although the towels seemed a bit worn. The shower head was terrible. My room, 323, faced the freeway but I heard nothing. Usually there are trash cans at the end of the hall, in fact it says so on the cabinet door under the sink, but there are none. I asked the front desk where they were and he said they don't have any trash cans anywhere, I should just put my trash outside the door. I dislike that. It's low class, looks bad, contributes to bad odors and attracts bugs. I don't want to walk by or see bags of trash in the hallway of my hotel. I expect that at other types of hotels but not Candlewood.

The laundry "room" consisted of 4 each front load washer/dryers stacked into a small closet area with nothing else. Barely space for 2 people, definitely no room for folding or sorting. I did not use the food Cupboard, but it was also the smallest I have ever seen at a Candlewood.

The worst part came near the end of my stay when the fire alarm went off at 4am. The alarm itself had no obvious fire notations. For instance the room I am in right now has FIRE on it in big red letters. And a black stick figure running from a red flame, that can be seen across the room. The one here had nothing just a small running stick figure molded into the case in the same color that I could not see until I inspected it up close later. So when it went off, I wasn't sure what it was, especially since I was in a dead sleep. Additionally it was so loud my ears felt brutally assaulted and rang for a full day afterward. When I called the front desk, the teen casually informed me "That's our fire alarm" I asked was it real should I leave and he said "I suggest you do" Yes I am an adult, but I was sleepy, startled and a bit confused I would have appreciated a little more info. "That's our fire alarm, please gather your valuables and proceed to the lobby or parking lot via the stairs"-would have been better. I looked into the hallway and saw firemen who mentioned it was burning food, so I opted to stay in my room. Then the family of 4 who burnt the popcorn was moved to the room next to mine, so I knew it was time to go.

I checked out the next morning and thought how terrible it would be if something serious happened and there was nothing but teenagers running the hotel. Which seems to be the case these days. Most of the kids here were pleasant but it would be nice if retired persons were hired for these positions, I'm sure I would have gotten more helpful support with the fire event if the front desk people were adults.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Meridian Business Center, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear JFighterstein,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. It is nice to know that you noticed the cleanliness of the room. However, please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced over the fire alarm. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Karen G.
Case Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there three nights in a row this past week, the hotel is a little outdated but still holds true the candlewood look of the kitchens in all the rooms! Great location for shopping eating and a great gym close bye. The only downside is it is a very noisy place u can hear the people next to you and above u to often.

• Stayed January 2013
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed here while on a road trip that took us from Wyoming, through Colorado, and on to New Mexico. We needed to stop for the night and this hotel was close to the interstate and even with a late booking we were able to get an amazing rate and a large room. Because it was just a stop, sleep, then go, we didn't use any of the amenities so this review will be about the room and the property in general. The hotel is in a business park just a mile from I-25. The clerk informed us on check-in that they do not offer any type of breakfast but all room come with a full kitchen and there are grocery stores and restaurants close by. Not very convenient for us but since all we needed was a bed, it wasn't a big deal. He also told us that every room has a DVD player and they have a large selection of DVDs available to borrow. We booked a king suite and found our room on the fourth floor (top floor). First thing we noticed when stepping off the elevator was a very strong smell of cigarette smoke being unsuccessfully masked by a plug-in air freshener. The result was a bit of a sickly sweet stomach turning aroma. We weren't aware until after the fact that there are both smoking and non-smoking rooms on the same floor. Fortunately one we entered the suite and shut the door, the smell was not noticeable. The room was very big with high ceilings, a true full kitchen (Full size fridge, microwave, stove, dishwasher, utensils, etc.), large modern bathroom, comfortable bed, and a big recliner that I could have slept in. The room was excellent. The only draw back and I'm not sure it applies to all rooms, were the curtains. There were no blackout drapes only the filmy, see through kind that do nothing to keep the light. Fortunately we had to be on the road early but had we wanted to sleep in, the sun would not have let us. We slept well and had a nice shower before checking out. On the way out of the room in the morning, we were greeted by the tobacco/pineapple smell but now it was mixed with curry and onions that someone was cooking up for there breakfast. It was so pungent and strong that my wife actually gagged. Thank god the elevator was waiting so we got out of there fast. Overall, the room was well worth the price but you may have to run the gauntlet of unpleasant odors before making it there.

Room Tip: Fourth floor rooms do not have blackout curtains. For non-smokers, ask room on a non-smoking floor i...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Avon, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This motel has little to distinguish itself. The drapes blocked neither sunlight nor ambient light pollution from the area. Room cleanliness was OK but the hallways were filthy and not cleaned during my stay, nor was the elevator working. My room was directly above a function room on the first floor, which hosted a wedding reception - the dj was so loud my room shook. No response from the front desk other than to give me the closing time - luckily the reception ended early. The refrigerator was malfunctioning - I unplugged it rather than wait for a fix. No worthwhile food service in the motel or nearby - take your pick from the strip malls nearby. There is a good fitness center within a 5-minute drive, but otherwise the area is sterile in terms of attractions. Stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Meridian Business Center, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear ct_traveler_93012,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced. Rest assured that I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Janice A
Case Manager
Mexico City, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Horrible smell in hallways and bed sheets. I spent 3 nights sleeping in the living room to avoid the bedroom odor. Extremely unpleasant stay. Avoid.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Candlewood Suites Meridian Business Center? Share your experiences!