“Good First Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Aurora, Colorado
“Good First Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

My wife and I ate at this restaurant for the first time recently. We live in Aurora and this restaurant is easy to get to from E470 heading toward I25. There is plenty of parking as it is basically co-located by several hotels right off I25.

We arrived early on a Saturday, around 5:30, so were able to get seated right away. There is a nice outdoor patio area with a firepit for when the wx is nice but that was full so we sat inside. The restaurant is fairly large inside but I know it does seem pretty busy on weekends as we stopped once before on a Sat night a little later and there were lots of folks waiting to get in.

Once seated our waiter arrived quickly to take drink orders and someone brought out a basket of warm chips and salsa which we thought were very good. Our drinks came out in short order and the waiter took our dinner orders - we ordered steak & chicken fajitas for two. There is a reasonable selection of beer on tap so I was happy with that. We finished the chips while we were having our drinks and waiting for our food and someone quickly replenished the basket of chips and salsa.

I thought the fajitas portion was fine as we ended up taking about some of them home. The flavor was good and the meat was not tough but tender. The tortillas were a bit small for my taste, making it hard to put too much filler in, but they were good. We were at a table for two and I admit that with the separate plates for the fajitas there was not much room at the table. The service throughout the meal was excellent.

Overall I thought the decor of the place was nice, the food was decent, and, at least during our visit, the service was excellent. I would go back here to eat again.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Centennial,Colorado
“Little more than a pleasant watering hole”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

The restaurant is a beautiful, welcoming place to meet with friends or family. The drinks are good. So are the chips and salsa. That said, it amazes me how this place can always be so consistently packed with people when the food is so marginal.

My son and I ate at this Hacienda Colorado this evening. He said his chimichanga was okay, but my fish tacos got sent back to the kitchen. The fish was way overcooked, dried out and chewy. It was also pretty fishy tasting, as in "not very fresh." They brought me another platter of fish tacos. Guess what? The second effort was every bit as bad as the first one. I sent that one back as well and settled for a cup of tortilla soup that was oversalted, overloaded with tortilla strips, and had no meat whatsoever in it. At that point I just wanted to go home and check the fridge for leftovers. To their credit, they did take the fish tacos off the bill and didn't charge for the soup. However, that didn't really make up for a spoiled evening.

If you go to the Hacienda Colorado, go for the drinks and the companionship of your friends. Don't go expecting a stellar meal as you will likely be disappointed--and don't order anything with fish. They don't know how to prepare it. With so many good Mexican restaurants in metro-Denver, I doubt we will ever go back to this one.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Shockingly Popular for Reasons I Can't Understand”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

OK, I wa raised in Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado, so I'm a bit of a purist... That said, I can't understand the popularity of this amazingly bland chain. The chile rellenos are wrapped in tortillas and then fried. Really? Horrible. The beer selection is terrible--in Colorado. The sauces are bland and the guacamole is really poor, too chunky and lacking in taste. The carnitas are just as bland. The sopapillas are thick and doughy. We had to go here for an awards dinner--second year in a row--and I've complained again that it just sucks. Oh, and the fajitas were bad, too. My wife couldn't stand to finish them. She asked for the lettuce wrap version, but got tortillas anyway.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Littleton, Colorado
“Hit or miss”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

I know now why it has been so long since we ordered the fajitas. Their fajitas used to be the best! They kept changing the presentation and portion. My husband and I ordered the steak and chicken combination for two ($30). Now they serve it on separate platers (taking up too much room on the table). We each got 3 small strips of steak and 3 small strips of chicken. My portion was larger when I ordered the individual lunch portion. We asked them to substitute the beans and rice sides for extra veggies. They charged us extra for this. My son's "crispy" taco had so much grease that it was soggy and fell apart. Our appetizers and entrees came out at the same time. I believe our server entered everything the same time instead of trying to time things correctly. We will just make our own fajitas and crispy tacos next time. Disappointing.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
denver, co
“Not impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

We were not impressed with the food at all. They claim 'authentic Mexican food', which is different for everyone, but we did not like the flavor/taste. The atmosphere was very nice but we felt like it was not a good place for young children, older children would be fine. The menu did not have good options for kids. Not overly friendly staff but would say it was good. Pricey!

• Visited March 2014