“A Gorgeous View, a Great Drive and Fresh Mountain Air” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Purgatory Village Condo Hotel

Save Saved
You added Purgatory Village Condo Hotel to your Saves list
Purgatory Village Condo Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5 Skier Place, Durango Mountain Resort, Durango, CO 81301   |
Ranked #25 of 30 Hotels in Durango
Ashland, Ohio
“A Gorgeous View, a Great Drive and Fresh Mountain Air”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

Most people who visit Durango want to stay downtown near the attractions. These condos are in the ski area about 30 minutes up the canyon so their prices are much more reasonable than the inflated prices they charge for the motels in the city. For me, the drive up and down the canyon was one of the high points of my visit. It's a wonderfully scenic winding road along a mountain stream and if your timing is good you will get to see the Durango & Silverton steam engine puffing along the tracks. When I found out I could stay here for about the same price as the Motel 6 in town it was a no-brainer for me. I ate dinner in the restaurant in the lodge and the food and service were outstanding.

Room Tip: When you call ask if they 'have anymore of the $100 rooms left and they will do their best to fi...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Santa Fe, NM
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

My husband, two teenage boys and I had a condo in the Eolus condos and it was incredibly uncomfortable. We arrived to find that the studio condo had one Murphy bed (with a very firm mattress) and the sofa bed for the kids was a hideous 70's couch that opened up to a thin mattress which was mostly springs. There were no linens and I had to call housekeeping. My son closed the bed back up and slept on the couch with his legs hanging over. My other son ended sleeping on the recliner. When I complained to the front desk the next morning, they did not seem to care. I luckily was able to upgrade to a two bedroom unit in a pretty new condo the next night.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Houston, TX.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

I stayed here for about 5 days, and for the most part had a blast.. I went here in January, and stayed at a friends 2 bedroom condo. It was in the heart of the ski season and was pretty busy. I went skiing the first day, and snowboarding the second day I was there. Unfortunately I broke my wrist the second day I was there and it was half way through an all day snowboarding lesson/school. The first aid clinic at the bottom of the mountain was great, and everyone else was nice. There are a few shops on the premise, and have a little bar there called Purgy's. The food was pretty good, and all of the people there were really nice. The place is definately a skiiers heaven. The views of the mountains were really a treat.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

We were traveling to Mesa Verde National Park with my elderly father and felt we would fare better with a one-bedroom condo at Purgatory rather than with two pricey hotel rooms down in Durango. We were correct! Although there was some miscommunication as to the type of unit we had requested (make certain you request a "A" unit as all units are privately owned and some have not been updated) it was resolved by management. They ended up assigning us a beautiful two bedroom unit for the same price as a one-bedroom unit. We were thrilled with the property and we thank Durango Mountain Resorts for their most accommodating and understanding manner!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

After looking in town for a hotel and getting very disappointed my husband said lets just drive up the road to the ski resort. ( Thinking that it would be way out of our price range). We drove up and what a beautiful drive it was, went up to the main desk and asked to look at a couple of rooms. The first one in the eolus building was ok but not what i was looking for and then we went to room 305 in the purgatory Village center and OMG! 1 bedroom living room, dining room, great kitchen and 2 balconies overlooking the village plaza area and mountain and the other balcony off of the bedroom facing the ski lift and not to mention the new pool and hot tub area next door in the Purgatory Lodge was sooo beautiful and relaxing...The condo was around 130.00 a night for that week was a steal, considering some hotels in town like the Ramada wanted 129.00 for a one room overlooking a parking lot and a beat up old truck.. And the Spanish Trails well, I would not consider that a place to sleep or shower. nasty nasty nasty...

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Owasso, OK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

We recently returned from our stay in Durango, CO at the Purgatory Village Condo Hotel. After reading the reviews, I decided to go ahead and book a one bedroom for our family of four. Make for sure you ask for an "A" rated room when booking. These condos are individually owned, so each one will be different. They are rated according to how new/nice they are. They are not luxury, but the room we had was very clean and well appointed. We had every thing we needed. If you are looking for something newer, try the Purgatory Lodge. However, you have to walk a bit further to the lifts. The staff was very helpful and efficient. I would recommend this place for anyone looking for a great ski in/out location. We walked right out the door and put on our skis! There are a couple of places to dine right down stairs. Ski lockers are also available in the hotel. The ski rental shop is located downstairs too! A free shuttle picks you up at the hotel to take you to the tubing hill. Airport transfer was very easy and took us to a grocery store on the way. They even made an extra stop at a pharmacy so we could pick up a prescription! We will go back next year!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

We were very disappointed.. We drove out of our way to go to this hotel. I was assured by hotel staff that the activities would be available for the kids. We were told that the chair lift, digglers, and alpine slides would be open on June 19th. When asked if this was a FOR SURE DATE, I was told yes. It was posted on the interenet, etc. We planned our trip around this date because the kids were looking forward to these specific activities. When we arrived we were told nothing would open until the 20th. (The day we were driving home.) I will never go back!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Purgatory Village Condo Hotel? Share your experiences!