“Facility and staff great but it was the little things....” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Durango
Phoenix, Arizona
“Facility and staff great but it was the little things....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

There are no complaints whatsoever about this property. The rooms were quiet, clean and nice with comfortable beds. The indoor pool is also very nice. The complimentary breakfast offered the best selection I have seen in awhile. It was well-stocked and staffed. The rate was reasonable for this locale where rooms need to be booked well in advance during the summer, at least. The front desk was very helpful and courteous. The hotel is not far from charming downtown Durango and the train depot. Reservations, check-in, and check-out were seamless. It is a very nice property.

I hesitate to even mention the seemingly minor issues: one would almost have to be in our situation to appreciate the impact, or very empathetic. Suffice it to say we were traveling with 2 grandchildren and had had a long day on the road, losing an hour to a time zone change. We were pressed to get all their stuff out of the car, get them to bed, so we could arise very early in order to be at the train depot at 7 A.M.

I load the 'frig and get ready to dry the long tangled hair of the 5 year-old. Dryer doesn't work. Back to the van to dig out mine I'd brought along - just in case. Try to set the alarm and clock, as the time was wrong. It was not a basic clock and went into a mode of "au" which I couldn't correct. I just could not set this thing. Granddaughter gets sick so we clean that up. Go to the 'frig - nothing was chilled. Guess I'd better check the microwave too. Nope, it didn't work. We found neither were plugged in and we managed to dig out the cord behind the unmovable cabinet unit and plug both in. Call the desk but no one answered. Went down to report the problems. A maintenance request was filled out. Another stab at the clock. We'd asked for a wakeup call but I didn't want the alarm going off in the middle of the night. I unplugged it and the lamp as they seemed to be wired in together. It STILL went off at 3:30 A.M.

We returned from our all-day train ride made longer by a mechanical problem with the train. We return late to the hotel and none of our key cards worked. The desk hadn't programmed them to work for the 2nd night. Hair dryer still didn't work. Clock had been worked with but the time was set wrong. I find an obscure little button on the bottom that "locked/unlocked" the clock. Still, there was no obvious way to advance the time for the clock although I could for the alarm, since I'd found it was "locked". So I ended up just changing the time zone on the thing to approximate the actual time.

We all ended up just totally exhausted due to these issues. When a room is cleaned, there is no reason there can't be a checklist to make sure things work and are plugged in. For heaven's sake, if you're going to provide a more-complicated alarm clock, don't wire it into the outlet so there's no way to disable it. Just be aware.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Patti R, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn and Suites Durango, Colorado, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel.
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations.
We are happy to hear that you had no complaints about the hotel, amenities or service, but apologize that you had so much trouble with the alarm clock in your room.
Comfort Inn & Suites Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Beloit, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

This was a nice place .. The clerk at the front desk was very friendly and helpful.. The rooms were nice and the beds were comfortable.. The breakfast staff was down right rude!!!!! We stayed here at the end of a week of hiking and let the kids sleep in, so we were late going down to breakfast. Breakfast was served until 930, it was 920 when we got there. I hadnt checked the time so didnt realize it was over at 930.. They were cleaning up, which would have been fine, but they walked around us picking up things and acted as though we werent there. When I asked about breakfast, the lady snapped at me and said they were done serving..They need to train their staff better and explain manners to them.. Don't think I would stay here again

Room Tip: Dont be late to breakfast...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Patti R, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn and Suites Durango, Colorado, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our nice rooms and comfortable beds. We thank you for your kind praise of our friendly, helpful Front Desk Staff.
Please accept my most sincere apologies that you did not experience the same with our Breakfast Staff. Our breakfast hours are daily from 6:30-9:30 am and during those hours we provide a wonderful, hot, complimentary breakfast with many delicious choices. We do end the breakfast service at 9:30 and staff are instructed to break down breakfast and clean and prep for the next day. However, it is unacceptable for you to encounter anything other than friendly and accommodating staff. I apologize if you experienced anything other than our most gracious customer service. We have used your comments to better train our staff in good service and assure you that these types of situations will not happen again.
We hope that you will visit us again and give us the opportunity to provide you with excellent service
Comfort Inn &Suites Staff
Grand Junction, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I was in town for a business meeting and typically stay where everyone else does, but during peak summer season the Holiday Inn was $100 more and I just couldn't justify that to my employer. I had stayed at this Comfort in before particularly for it's hot tub, location and value. Unfortunately, the tub has been replaced with a sauna (sorry NOT the same). My back was not impressed with the bed which I suspect is also getting tired. The breakfast area was chaotic, I didn't stick around for the plastic eggs and burnt sausage. I hate to be so negative, but this was my experience. If I could I would give it a 2.5 rating as it really doesn't warrant a POOR one. I might be back, but not if other properties reasonably available.

Room Tip: Definitely stay on 3rd floor facing east.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. We appreciate your opinions and will use them to make our hotel better for every guest.
Please allow me to apologize for your disappointment regarding our free amenities. We did recently replace our old hot tub with a beautiful, new "Finnish" sauna. Our guests really seem to enjoy a hot steam after a workout in our fitness room, a swim in our heated indoor pool or just a tiring day. I am sorry that it was not to your liking.
I also apologize if you experienced anything other than a restful and comfortable nights sleep. We have recently placed new Serta Sleeper mattresses in most of our rooms and are working hard to complete 100% of this process.
I understand that breakfast can be quite busy in the morning as we do have a large hotel of over 120 rooms. Our breakfast staff do a great job of providing fresh, real scrambled eggs, and bacon or sausage for our hot items in addition to all of our other continental choices. I am sorry you did not get a chance to sample our breakfast.
We assure you that we will work on the areas you mentioned and do everything we can to offer an outstanding stay to all our guests each and every time. We hope you will visit us again in the future to allow us to provide you with the kind of service you expect.
Gilbert, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I expected a better stay for the price that I paid. Although the bed was comfortable and the room was clean, there were other areas that were lacking. The hallways needed a good cleaning with crushed food on the carpets when we checked in and still there when we checked out. The pool wasn't working and the breakfast the next morning was cold and lacked flavor. We were on a two week road trip and this hotel for $160, wasn't as nice as some of the cheaper hotels we stayed in. I'm guessing the price was higher because of the tourist season, but I would stay someplace else next time.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our clean rooms and comfortable beds. I do apologize if there was an area of the hotel that did not receive the proper cleaning during your stay and have brought this to the attention of our Manager and cleaning staff. We will use your valuable feedback to correct this issue so that it does not happen again in the future.
I am also very sorry that you did not enjoy our complimentary hot breakfast. We do try to serve a very good breakfast that includes hot eggs, sausage or bacon, pastries, cereals, fruit, yogurt, fresh made waffles and many other choices. I am so sorry that there was not anything you found to your liking.
We hope that you will visit us again in the future to allow s to provide you with an exceptional stay.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

I hope this was all just a fluke, but we had a bit of bad luck with the Comfort Inn and Suites in Durango, Colorado. We reserved a room for three nights with four queen-sized beds. We were going to pay more than we'd originally wanted, but we thought the convenience of all children having their own beds might make it worth it. When we got to the hotel, we were greeted by a strange, stale smell upon entering the door of the room. We looked over the beds as we normally do when arriving at a hotel. Two of the four beds had hairs on them. One of the bed's hair looked like an animal's hair; the other's looked like pubic hairs.

We left the hotel for a while to eat; I planned to address the hair issue when we returned. When we opened the door the next time, the room actually smelled of urine. I called to discuss the beds and the smell with the desk. The very nice girl at the desk said she'd love to move us but no other rooms were available. For the smell she offered Febreze. She also said she was the only one around and that housekeeping was gone for the day, so no one could change our sheets. I said I'd do it if she could get some sheets for me, but that the price we were paying was way too high for a room that smelled of urine with hairs on the beds. She said she'd discuss it with the manager and they'd reduce our price in the morning. While waiting for the sheets that I was going to have to change myself on my vacation we began to look over the rest of the room. One nightstand had boogers and other sticky substances stuck to it. The stand with the fridge and microwave had a white blob (hopefully pastry frosting?) dried to it. And we discovered the smell emanated from one of the air-conditioning units when in use. We turned on the other unit and smelled nothing. There was also hair on the toilet. When we changed the sheets on two of the four beds we saw stains all over the sagging mattresses and hairs all over the mattress pads.

You might wonder when reading this why we stayed. You would be right to do so. The fact is, we have three children who were tired and it was late enough we didn't want to have to begin the long process of returning everything to the vehicle and finding another place to stay at nine in the evening.

We travel with Clorox wipes. We got out those wipes and proceeded to wipe down every surface we thought we would touching during our stay. There were literally dirty hand-prints on those wipes after wiping the surfaces. I guarantee the room is now cleaner than it has been in a long time.

The next morning when I went to check out, the girl at the desk didn't know anything about the issues from the night before. I told her about the smell, the sheets, the boogers, and the sticky substances. She apologized, disappeared for a few minutes and and returned to say her manager had told her to lower the price by $60. $190 is still way too much money to pay for a filthy room. I will not return.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Patti R, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn and Suites Durango, Colorado, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel.
We take great pride in all departments of our team and so it is very disappointing to learn of the cleanliness issues you encountered. I want to apologize for the inconveniences you and your family encountered and assure that these problems have been addressed with our Manager and staff. We would like to invite you to contact the hotel directly to discuss further options that would result in your satisfaction.
Again, we are very sorry for your disappointment but hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.
Monroe, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We reserved a 2 rooms here at the last minute after staying at another hotel in town and having problems with air conditioning and management. The staff here was so nice and even allowed us to put our luggage in their office for the day until our rooms were ready so that it didn't have to remain in our car! The rooms were large and the beds were extremely comfortable. The breakfast was great and had a variety of food. I only wish we had booked this hotel to begin with!!

Room Tip: Our rooms faced the road but the hotel is far enough off of it that noise was not an issue.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Patti R, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn and Suites Durango, Colorado, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your kind review. We appreciate your compliments and thank you for the encouragement to continue to strive for excellence for all our guests. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will return again to beautiful Durango Colorado and the Durango Comfort Inn very soon!
Best Regards,
Dallas Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights with our teenager while we visited Durango and Silverton. We were on the second floor and our room faced the highway. Our activities started early each day so we were just waking up when the road noise started at 6:30 each morning. In most hotels you can count on the fan hum of the A/C to cover outdoor noises, but the cool outdoor temperatures meant the unit did not run much at night.
Our room was quite spacious and updated. Everything was clean and comfortable ( well maybe the sofa bed is not too comfortable, but it is a sofa bed so we expected that!) There were plenty of convenient plugs for charging electronics. The location was great for us. We had our own vehicle and it was a short 5 minute drive to downtown historic Durango. Check in/out was fast and efficient.
The breakfast was hot and well stocked. The serving area and tables were clean. They had fresh whole fruit but were usually out of bananas. The one day they did have bananas they were over ripe and very bruised.
We used a AAA discount and the price was a good value. I would definitely stay here again if we are in this area.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We are always thrilled to receive such kind compliments and your satisfaction means a great deal to us. We are glad you enjoyed your 3 nights in our beautiful town and were able to visit some of our areas great attractions from our convenient location. Our staff work very hard to provide all our guests with clean rooms, a well stocked and hot breakfast and a great value. Your comments and feedback serve as encouragement to all our departments to continue to provide exceptional service.
We hope you will visit us again in the near future.
Comfort Inn & Suites Staff

Been to Comfort Inn and Suites Durango, Colorado? Share your experiences!