“A very good Residence Inn in Durango” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Durango
Del Mar, California
“A very good Residence Inn in Durango”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Second time we have stayed here and haven't been disappointed with this hotel. The staff at the front desk was very helpful and gave us some good information about things we wanted to do in the area. Our one bedroom suite was very nice and very clean. The breakfast was good and the staff was very accommodating to our needs and making sure that there was plenty of food out. This is a very good hotel in Durango and looking forward to our next stay here.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

We stayed in a King studio during a recent stop in Durango. The staff were most helpful during checkin and throughout our stay. The room was clean, very comfortable with all the amenities expected of a Residence Inn. A very good size and suitable for a family with small kids or couples. Parking is free which is an advantage over some downtown hotels.

We found the location to be convenient to the Downtown attractions and for those who are staying a little longer, there is a grocery store right after you cross the river (very close to the hotel) where you can stock up with supplies.

I wished we had stayed a little longer but we will definitely stay here again when we return to Durango!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Norman, OKI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Stayed at this hotel on rewards points, otherwise at the really high summer rate would not have done so. Had a king studio which was a great sized room with all the amenities you would expect from a Residence Inn. The location is pretty good with easy access to the old downtown area of Durango and eating/drinking places there. During my stay the hotel was full so the "happy hour" and breakfast were overcrowded with slim pickings of food/drink. The happy hour consists of free drinks, but all are bottom of the line beers and wines. Nothing appealing to me in that selection.

The worst part of the stay was the room location - front of the hotel towards the highway. Exceptionally loud with traffic all day/night. Since they were full we could not change rooms.

If in Durango again will stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Don't get a room fronting the highway side of the hotel!!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
David S, General Manager at Residence Inn Durango, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. Please accept my apology for any inconvenience you encountered. As a valued guest your feedback is important to us. We take great pride in providing service that you deserve, in that field it seems we fell short of your expectations.
Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We stayed one night in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom suite. The suite was spacious, nicely decorated and very clean. The hotel is located in a very quiet area. We never heard any noise from outside of the hotel. We did hear some noise from the hall and upstairs, but nothing that was too bothersome. The free breakfast is very nice with lots of hot and cold choices. They even had toppings for the do-it-yourself waffles (whipped cream, chocolate chips, strawberries) which was a very nice touch! The eating area is large with lots of tables. The staff members that we encountered were all very friendly.
The main issue that we had with this hotel is the awful speed of the free Wi-Fi. It was INCREDIBLY slow. It almost felt like we were using dial-up again. They do sell higher speed internet service for $5.00 a night. It made us wonder if the free internet is purposely slowed WAY down to entice people to purchase the higher speed. I would hope that isn't the case.
The internet speed aside, this is a nice hotel and we would definitely consider staying here again if we are in Durango.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
College Station, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

My kids and I stayed here a week during our family vacation in July. Room was what I've come to expect from a Residence Inn property--clean and well maintained. The hotel is located on HWY 160 and about a half mile walk to the train station and downtown. It's an easy walk along a sidewalk and a neat pedestrian bridge over the Animas River.

Lots of value-added features with this hotel starting with the free breakfast with plenty of options. We ate at various times of the morning throughout the week and the attentive staff made sure the buffet was fresh and stocked. There's also a manager's special Mon-Thurs evenings. The special features free beer and wine with snack foods. One night they had tasty wings with a salad and we ended up making that our supper. Another night they had beef stew with rolls and salad and my kids were happy eating that. And you get free wi-fi with a decently strong signal.

I'll also add that I like staying at Residence Inns on family vacations because of the full kitchen. If the kids were tired and didn't want to go out, I'd whip up a quick easy meal.

There is an indoor pool with an adjacent hot tub.

Really I have no complaints at all about this hotel. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good place to stay for a family vacation.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I booked this hotel well in advance for a business conference my wife attended. I specifically asked for feather pillows to be delivered to the room prior to our arrival. On arriving we found pillows in the closet. But they weren't feather pillows - my wife complained. I ordered another set. They delivered another set. Same thing. What Marriott claims to be feather pillows are actually tiny bits of shredded foam that they try to pass off as feather pillows. Really?!! Yep. (I actually opened up a pillow to be sure) Front desk management asserted the pillows were indeed feather and what's more, tried to explain away the bulkiness of the pillows by the 3 layer multiple sheath covers and pillow slips. Really Marriott? I expected more from Marriott. My wife had a difficult and disappointing rest and attended the conference with a sore neck and back the whole stay. Bummer.

I don't know for sure but out of the several Marriott hotels I've stayed at, (several), They always seem to have elevators that creak and make you think your ride might be the last one. This hotel was no exception. The elevator "popped" and creaked when riding it - either direction.

Our room was nice. Pleasant. A little older but pleasant. I liked the layout - 1 bedroom suites. But the A/C was a bummer. LOUD. I asked for a quite room. What I got was an HVAC blower that was akin to a blast-air furnace motor running at high speed at random intervals. Another negative. To compensate we turned the A/C down to 68 deg. before retiring to bed and then turned it up to 72 degrees during the night. That helped but I did discover that despite how I set the thermostat there was some sort of central control that seemed to over-ride the manual settings during the night. Didn't get much sleep and soon became accustomed to waking to an A/C blower motor blasting on.

Bed was just ok. Nothing to brag about. I returned home with a sore back.

Staff was courteous and friendly. A little too much so according to my wife. She pointed out that the breakfast buffet, (We ate a late breakfast), was occupied by staff having breakfast too. She felt uncomfortable having hotel staff eating with us in the dining area. It didn't really bother me but on reflection it did seem to be intrusive into our visit. Service staff should be more discrete in my opinion.

Would I stay there again? No. And the primary reason is the cost. $200+ per night. I will waive off a trip to Durango if invited again. Not worth the cost for the product.

Sorry Marriott, you need to step it up if you want more of my dollars.

Room Tip: Try to get a room near the main parking lot. Parking is limited on the So West side. Also, if you wa...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
David S, General Manager at Residence Inn Durango, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thank you for your response. As a valued guest, your comments mean a great deal to me.
Please accept my apology for any inconvenience you encountered while at our property. I am taking steps to ensure that the staff know the difference between feather and foam pillow. As for the staff eating, I allow the staff to come down fifteen minutes after the scheduled ending times for breakfast. My apologizes if they intruded.
Edgewood, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

We were in town for the Music in the Mountains Festival at Durango Mountain Resort. We stayed 2 nights and were very pleased with our accommodations. Lots of room for just the two of us. Very clean and up to date. Very comfortable beds. Good shower, nice towels... Enjoyed free internet and having breakfast included. Our last night we had a family above us that had kids making a lot of noise. After awhile (9:30pm) when they did not quiet down, I called the front desk and within a short time, the matter was resolved.
I liked that we were off the main drag but still close to the historic downtown area. We would definitely stay here again if in the Durango area.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Residence Inn Durango? Share your experiences!