“Not as nice as other Hampton Inns” 4 of 5 stars

Book Early-Save up to 15%
Ranked #2 of 30 hotels in Durango
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hempstead, Texas
“Not as nice as other Hampton Inns”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We've stayed at a few Hampton Inns over the past few months. This one was being renovated while we were there, as was one that we stayed at last month. Whereas the owners of the previous property we stayed at went out of their way to offset the renovation. This property did nothing. All the floorboards had been removed, there were plastic curtains hanging, there was a bit of construction dust. At least there was an indoor pool and hot tub -- both in good condition. The pool is large and the temperature perfect, even in winter. The location is quite far away from downtown, so you need to have a car to get to the historic area. The room was very clean and the bathroom looked new. The biggest disappointment to me is a lack of an exercise room. If you want to work out, you need to head mile down the road to a recreation center. So, all in all, not as good as any of the Hampton Inns we have stayed at recently, and hopefully once the renovation is complete it will be more up to par.

Room Tip: You do NOT want to be above the pool -- it may be noisy....
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

397 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

My family and I stayed at the Durango Hampton Inn to take our kids to the local Polar Express train ride. My children are 3 years old and 18 months, and my nieces are 4 and 2 years old. We received two noise complaints, one at 7:30 am in room, from lower residence and another at 11 am in pool from residence above. We researched our room booklet for the policy of "quiet hours" and did not find any company policies. When we approached the hotel manger, "Heather" regarding what the noise rules were, she handled situation so unprofessionally, I was dumbfounded. She immediately advised us that she did not think we would get offended at her approaching us, instead of explaining to us the policy then proceeded to tell my family and I that "we were the loudest guests she has ever experienced." I was truly offended at that remark. When I contacted main Hampton corporation they did not provide any assistance and stated it was up to us if we wanted to go to another hotel. We have yet to find the noise policy. I understand we may have been a bit noisy, but anybody with kids will state kids will be kids. I absolutely disagree with the pool complaint, because it was in the middle of day. Also, this is my kids vacation and I am not going to just sit my children on a couch. I don't complain at people slamming doors at 5 am, these are things you accept when staying at a high occupancy establishment. Whether you agree or do not, I have never been treated so unprofessionally and I have never ran into this situation at other hotels. Also Hampton may want to look into proper insulation. Do not stay if you have young kiddos, they did not make us feel it was a family friendly corporation.

• Stayed December 2012
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Durango Sunday night 12/25/12. It was late when we checked in and the desk clerk, Josh, went out of his way to make us feel welcome. It looked as if the renovation was almost complete and and property has lots of nice details. The morning staff was as friendly as Josh was and the breakfast was great. We look forward to staying there again soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

First, the staff was very friendly and the management is going out of its way to avoid any inconvenience to its guests during the remodel. They schedule the workers between 10 AM and 5 PM to avoid noise, dust or disruption. We never saw them. That being said, the property definitely needs an overhaul and it is great that they are doing that. The decor was dated; the shower had weak water pressure and wouldn't hold the temperature (hot-cold-hot...you know the type.) The breakfast was a little disappointing compared to other Hampton Inn's we have frequented: not much variety or selection on the days we were there. I thought it was great that a coffee/tea/hot chocolate "bar" was set up for guest use throughout the day/evening and they served fresh cookies in the evening (that go VERY fast!). It's a bit out of the way for the Durango-Silverton train but it is in a quieter location away from downtown. And it didn't take long to drive to the train depot.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Moab Utah USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This is A Great Hotel! It has been remodeled very recently and there is a little bit of construction still going on, but no noise or anything that would make it less than perfect . I had lots of fun discovering all the amenities in the room, there is even a beer bottle opener in the bathroom, a regular size hair dryer, not one of the little wall ones, plenty of pillows, towels, you name it! And the free breakfast is great with premium stuff and a great selection of coffee and teas, fresh hot waffles, cheese omelet, yogurts and a great selection of different breads. Overall extremely pleased. The indoor swimming pool and hot tub was GREAT! Definitely my new favorite spot in Durango.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Quad Cities, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

We a family of five were traveling from Illinois on a trip to Flagstaff,AZ, this was our third night stay away from home. This place made you feel welcome and at home from check in to check out. Our one bedroom suite was clean, all sleep areas comfy and relaxing decor! Breakfast was warn, hot, cold depending on what we chose. The bagel toppers were AMAZING, AWESOME, very TASTEFUL (as described by my 12 yr old)! This place worth the money and HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

• Stayed November 2012
Pleasant Hill, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed here while visiting family in Durango. No issues with online reservation. I was upgraded with no reason to a larger room so no complaints about that at all. Staff was friendly and helpful with directions. My stay was quiet and enjoyable. Bed was very comfy and obviously clean since all the bedding including the comforter were bright white. Would recommend this Hampton to anyone.

Room Tip: I always try and stay on top floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn Durango Hotel? Share your experiences!