“Definitely The Best In Town!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Durango Melodrama Package
Ranked #4 of 30 hotels in Durango
Orange County, CA
“Definitely The Best In Town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

This Victorian Hotel is top-notch in every way! Very romantic for couples - We especially recommend the Victorian hot tub, which must be reserved at the front desk. You get exclusive use of the hot tub and facilities for an hour. The breakfast was nice, service was great, and bathroom was wonderful. Also, the bed was very comfortable. Parking is somewhat inconvenient as you have to walk from one of four locations, but not too bad. If you will be riding the train while in Durango, you can leave your car parked and easily walk the 2 blocks to the depot, avoiding the $8 parking charge there.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

495 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

Our family stayed at the Strater for three nights in June. We enjoyed the location, just steps away from restaurants and shops. We loved the French bakery, Jean Pierre, which was right down the street, and the Steamworks Microbrewery. The hotel was also very convenient for riding the train. Our room was much larger than we expected, and we all liked it, even our twenty-one year old daughter who works in the hotel business and is a little picky. The furniture was beautiful! Our younger daughter enjoyed looking for the Prohibition-era hiding places where liquor was stashed in the lobby. My husband enjoyed waiting in the downstairs saloon listening to music while the rest of us finished shopping.
It was our first trip to Durango but hopefully not our last. When we go back, I would definitely want to stay at the Strater again. The history and atmosphere made our trip memorable.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Marysville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

Located on the main street -- an easy walk to the train station, this very clean and elegant western hotel was entertaining all by itself. While the room charge was high, we did take advantage of a discount when packaged with the Durango-Silverton train ride. The room had antique style furniture in excellent condition, was very clean and most important had a very comfortable bed. The western saloon was fun, complete with costumed waitresses and an old time piano player. Parking was free, though rolling baggage across the street wasn't ideal. The package included a light breakfast each morning in the main dining room which was quiet and had a very pleasant relaxing atmosphere. My wife came down early one morning and had the dining room to herself before breakfast officially started. She was offered and enjoyed a cup of coffee while crocheting at a table by a window listening to relaxing music while waiting for me to come down for breakfast. This is an older hotel, so WiFi signal isn't perfect in all locations. It was necessary to take my laptop to the lobby for a strong signal to check e-mail. It actually turned out to be less of a bother than I thought it would be. The lobby in this hotel is actually a very comfortable and interesting sitting room. People watching was far more enjoyable than anything I was reading on MSNBC.
-- Glenn Harvey, Marysville WA

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

The historic Strater Hotel was a good choice for the area, it is right in the old downtown area and you can walk to shops and restaurants. For some reason every hotel we checked in this area seemed expensive for the area. This was as reasonable as anything we checked and we thought it would be nice to stay in an historic inn. When you first arrive, you have to pull up to a yellow curb in front where you can park for a few minutes to check in. You must lug your bags up the steps from the street, check in then look for a place to park. The hotel has no parking lot of their own, but give you a little map with options for parking. We found a space, it was free, but a few blocks away. The hotel itself in very pretty and has an elevator that is small, but we fit with all our luggage. The room and bathroom were small, but comfortable. The only complaint is with the bed. The sheets were too small for the mattress and kept bunching up underneath me every time I rolled over, and the mattress pad was just a quilted piece that lay on top of the mattress and would bunch also. I don't like sleeping on lumps. The breakfast was nice with wonderful granola, some posole, which I would have liked to try, but not for breakfast. They also had fruit, yogurt and an assortment of bread, bisquits and gravy and was served in one of the hotels restaurants.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

We spent July 4th in Durango, and loved being downtown by the parade, fireworks, and BBQ tasting. The Strater is a hotel from yesteryear, well preserved although not especially elegant. (Awful little elevator with carpet walls) The rooms are spacious and nicely decorated. Gorgeous bar.

Staff was busy and not especially helpful considering the relatively high room cost ($200 with tax per night, includes generous breakfast). No one offered to help my friend struggling with luggage.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
rio rancho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

My family and I enjoyed our stay. It has an excellent location and staff was friendly. The rooms are just beautiful. If you don't enjoy history and victorian architecture that is in its original state then stay somewhere else. The rooms have little journals for guests to write in which is very interesting. The rooms were also very comfortable.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Savannah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

This hotel seemed dreary to me. As others have stated, the elevator is VERY small. We had to carry our own luggage up all the stairs, down long halls and steps. No one offered to help with luggage. Then, after a long day of traveling, I was going to have a cup of tea and couldn't find the coffee maker. Looked everywhere, then called the front desk and was told there aren't any. I asked if they could give me one (or a cup of tea) and was told they weren't allowed. After explaining that I really would like a cup of tea (or coffee) she finally told me I would have to go to the bar downstairs and get one. So had to go back down the hall and stairs to a bar full of loud young people. When the bartender finally got around to me, I asked for hot tea. He poured a glass of hot water, handed me a basket of a couple of tea choices (none that I wanted) and charged me TWO DOLLARS for the hot water. After paying that, I trudged back up to the room again, and used a tea bag I had brought with me, but by then the water was not hot. We sat down on the bed and the mattress literally folded in the middle. The mattress was horrible. Our room was big enough. The bathroom was old and simple. (No vanity space to put anything. Had to put things on the floor). The only water to drink in the room had a price tag on it. They did have a very large basket of treats in the room, all with a price tag on them. I thought that was very tacky. Never seen anything like that. There is a very small parking lot across the street if you are lucky enough to get a spot. Otherwise, their other parking lot is a least a black away in a gravel lot behind Denny's. (Remember that after hauling your luggage all that way you are going to still have to get it up the stairs and down the steps and hallways.) Continental breakfast was OK. Unfortunately we were there for 2 nights. We could hear every move the people upstairs or beside us made in the mornings. All in all, I felt there was NO offer to help us with anything, the place was dreary, mattress horrible, no amenities that you would find even in the CHEAPEST hotels. (Coffee pot, water, iron, ect.) We have stayed in much nicer places for much less money. Wouldn not stay there again. If I just want to be around antiques, I can go to a museum. Because as far as I could tell, the antique furniture (and the location) was the only thing this place had going for it. Way overpriced.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Strater Hotel? Share your experiences!