“Interesting” 4 of 5 stars

Durango Melodrama Package
Ranked #5 of 30 hotels in Durango
“Interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Staff are great, bar and entertainment was really good with a real fun aspect, restaurant had impeccable service, food ok, room was tiny and not what booked ,bed was a tiny double with no support, nice for me but uncomfortable for partner

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
mthomgm, General Manager at Strater Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for visiting Durango and choosing the Strater Hotel to host you during your recent visit. We are pleased to have received your positive feedback and insightful comments.

We truly appreciate you taking the time to allow us the opportunity to learn about your recent experience.
All of us here at the Strater Hotel look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

488 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Page, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Perfect location . Just walk out the front door and you are in the middle of all the action. Beautiful hotel. Just keep in mind that's it's an old historic place so the rooms are small and it's noisier than newer modern hotels but certainly worth the experience.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Strater for the first time. It's a quaint, old west hotel with a lot of charm. Our reservationist (in training) was very pleasant and checked us in prior to check-in time.

The guest rooms are small but to be expected for an older property. The bed was very hard and the pillows were very flat, not supportive at all. The bathroom was extremely small but the water pressure was great and it didn't take long for it to heat up. We spent most of our time out and about in town so the overall room met it's purpose.

We tried the Diamond Belle saloon out right away; the staff was very accommodating. They host several local brews on tap, a vast selection of cocktails and a great menu. The two days we stayed, the saloon hosted local musicians as well.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Strater for one night on our way through Durango to Pagosa Springs. We wanted to stay at a hotel with character and not your run-of-the-mill hotel chain and we were not disappointed. If you love history stay here!! We upgraded to the Premier room and the total after tax was right around $200. Since it was the week before Christmas I found this price to be reasonable. The room had a ton of space and we had a big bay window that overlooked the main street below which was awesome - it was exactly what we wanted. Since we were here in December, the streets were decorated with Xmas lights and the mountains were covered with snow so we got the white Xmas we came to Colorado for. The room was very clean (I am always crazy about cleanliness and this place passed the test). There was a lot of antique furniture in the room, an old historic couch and a big square table right in front of the bay window perfect for playing cards or eating at. We didn't get a chance to eat breakfast or dinner at the hotel, but we did go down to the saloon for a few cocktails before dinner. I loved the saloon and it's right off the main lobby!! Small intimate tables, great drinks (I had the spiced rum cider) and there was live music. I would have stayed there all night but the rest of my party wanted to hit up the town. Down in the lobby there was a cool seating area with a fireplace that you could relax in either waiting for people or just reading. We didn't interact with the hotel staff much since we only stayed one night, but when we checked in/out the service was fantastic. Very relaxed, small town feel. I would definitely recommend staying at the Strater and next time I'm in Durango I will definitely go back to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

ARRIVAL and LOCATION

The lobby area is dressed in period furniture and stained-glass window art. You’ll get the feeling you’re in a mini museum when you browse the hotel’s displays of artifacts. Being a writer, I especially liked seeing a typewriter from the early days of the hotel near the old on-site post office.

The hotel sits beside the small mountains of Durango on the main avenue of town. The street is peppered with adorable shops selling old-time toys, rugged clothes, delicious food, music and candy. We brought two of our five boys along and the shops kept them occupied for hours. The hotel has a restaurant and saloon and we found delicious food all along the main run. Fort Lewis College is located very close – just a five-minute car ride away.

ROOMS

Most of the furniture and the wallpaper are period appropriate or actual antiques. There are no cookie cutter rooms here! Each is different and has its own highlight. The ceiling in the Charlie Schumacher room steals the show, for example. If you stay there, notice the carved wood molding and accented chandelier.

Many rooms have plaques beside them announcing their significance. I stuck my head into the Louis and Kathy L’Amour room to see the desk where the famous author wrote many of his books. The housekeeper was making the bed at the time, so I took the opportunity to ask her about Mr. L’Amour and whether or not the hotel was haunted. Her answers: yes, the writer and his family spent a great deal of time at the hotel and no, there are no ghosts.

All the beds are impressive with beautifully detailed headboards. My husband and I had a canopy bed in our room (I felt like a princess) and our boys stayed in the Strater Family room next door, which has two sturdy, yet ornate beds and a pass-through closet.

THE DINING ROOM

The Mahogany Grille is considered one of the best restaurants in Durango by the locals. We enjoyed a breakfast here, but would like to try the steak for dinner next time as it seemed to be what the other guests were looking forward to. Chef Arnold Safari, originally from Zanzibar, is head chef for the hotel and is rolling out the “Strater Culinary Safari” soon with various world cuisines featured during each theme dinner.

MY RECOMMENDATION

If you have a child at Fort Lewis College as we do, there is no better place to stay for convenience. Regardless of your reason to visit, I recommend the hotel for its story and comfort.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

We have stayed at the Strater about 6 times over the course of 20 years and have always enjoyed being there. I booked over the internet from the hotel's website. Look for the Everyone's a Local special deal. I asked for a quiet room with a view. Our room was way down the hall and we could look out to the Mountains and watch the steam engine train come through town. We have stayed in rooms overlooking Main Street and have enjoyed that view as well. We ate in the dining room and had an early bird diner. Very reasonable for a full course meal - I had the trout with apple/fennel stuffing, brussels sprout,salad and apple pie for desert. My amigo chose the steak, potatoes and veggies. Both were excellent meals. The atmosphere is relaxed yet elegant,quiet and private. The service is friendly and professional. Also, they buy from local farmers, which is always a plus in our book. Your room price includes breakfast. Many choices from homemade granola and sweets, posole, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, coffees, teas, juices. The free parking is a plus and you can walk around downtown Durango.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I took my boyfriend here for his 60th birthday, and the hotel was good in reserving the right room I requested. I was a little surprised that they didn't do anything for his special event. I asked and they said they charged for chocolates or anything else. I thought just a nice note in the room would have been thoughtful. We liked our room, and the service was okay. The hotel itself is like a living museum, and my boyfriend who loves history and the old west, thoroughly enjoyed it. The more formal bar not the gimmicky western bar, was very relaxing and beautiful. We had appetizers in there and they were quite good. Also, the main dining room was quite beautiful, though we never ate there only for our breakfast which was included in the room price. We would definitely go back, and only stay at the Strater Hotel, it just gives you that feel of another time. I guess over the summer they repainted and recarpted but keeping it all within the same décor and time. Also, it is the perfect location in exploring downtown historic Durango.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Strater Hotel? Share your experiences!