“Always my first choice” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 30 hotels in Durango
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Always my first choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I ski a lot in NM, but usually try to get to Durango at least 2 weekends a year. The Strater is ALWAYS my first call. It's like stepping into the 90's - the 1890's! Everything is just gorgeous, the rooms are all differently decorated and the Diamond Belle Saloon is really fun (live music nearly every night!). Yes, it's a 30 minute drive to the slopes, but staying in town is WAY more fun and the Strater is pretty much in the middle (all the cheap motels are NOT within walking distance of the many downtown bars and restaurants). The hottub is wonderful after a day on the slopes, and the free breakfasts are usually just what we need to get going. The only time I had trouble there was on a particularly busy weekend, and I was put into a "full" bed. Full means my legs were sticking out of the end. But the people downstairs figured out some way and suddenly I was transferred to a beautiful queen room. Other than that, absolutley NO problems! But book early cuz they are always the FIRST hotel to sell out.

Room Tip: Rooms that look out to the main street are nice but usually more expensive because they are the bigg...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

494 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Langley
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is a great hotel but recently the customer service was terrible. We have a ranch just outside of Durango and stay in town when we are there. There was an error on our reservation that we inquired about and were never called back. We are quite disappointed. When the agent was unable to help us she passed me to the manager. I left a message and my husband went in to inquire and there was never a follow up on their end.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
mthomgm, General Manager at Strater Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review the property and voice your concerns. We always strive to do what we can, and realize we fall short at times and want to make it better.
In your review you said that you notified management, however I am the General Manager and never heard anything about this until you posted it on Facebook and on Tripadvisor. I immediatly sent you a reply on Facebook, and never heard back from you. Hopefully this message will reach you and I can help solve the issue. Can you give me more specifics of what the glitch in the reservation was, did we make the mistake? A third party booking engine or an oversight somewhere else? Sometimes if we can back track we can figure it out and get everyone moving in the same direction. Again, we do want to help, and hope you will reach back to me so we can solve this issue together.

We always try to go above and beyond in our service and our rooms. We receive many high alcolades and ratings reviewing our service and our product in that arena, so my apologies if in this area we fell short for you.

Regards
Management
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had a 2 night stop at this hotel in December - we had started in San Diego and were looping our way through Monument Valley, Arches, Canyonlands via Moab, Ouray and this was our next stopping point whilst making our way back to San Diego.

We had checked out the hotel on-line and on Trip Advisor and we liked the look of it's old world charm. We managed to get a room for a couple of nights and although one of their smaller rooms it was quite adequate (a little re-arrangement of a table and chairs to fit in our large suitcases). The room was clean, comfortable, quaint and characterful. The bed was very comfy and we slept very well. The complimentary breakfast was quite good with plenty of options to fill you up and keep you going for a few hours.

The location in Durango was excellent with an easy walk to all shops, bars and restaurants and the famous railway. We thought Durango was a great place and it would have been nice to be able to stay a bit longer and had it been a few degrees warmer - it went very cold while we were there and we decided to leave for Prescott, Arizona before the snow came.

The staff we came into contact with were very pleasant and helpful. A really nice place to stop when in Durango and a lovely change from the usual chain hotels.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
norman, ok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed in the Strater last summer on a trip to Durango and it was wonderful! We stayed on the top floor and it was very quiet. Our room had a plaque with a name on it, as we had noticed several others had, and later found out that these plaques let you know of some important person who had stayed there, or event having transpired there. The staff was exceptionally helpful and friendly, we got a lot of good info about hiking in the area from the concierge. The hotel is located right in the heart of all the fun things to see and do in Durango, restaurants, shops, so once you've parked your car you can just walk everywhere. The complimentary breakfast is superb! You get to eat in the connected restaurant and it feels like a pricey meal, much better than any complimentary breakfast I've had elsewhere ( of course it's only complimentary so far as its included in the price, but even then I would guess my husband and I would have spent $20-$30 on an equal meal elsewhere). The rooms were lovely! Old fashioned and very period specific, but with the bathroom updated and tv and all modern amenities. On the third floor we were pleasantly surprised to find they set up a little coffee bar, so you could just walk out, grab a cup, and return to your room until you were ready to go down for breakfast. We also tried the connected saloon which was very fun. It had a hint of that touristy feeling, but not much and it really is a historic building so sometimes it's just fun to indulge in those tourist types. There did seem to be quite a few locals when we went. Overall the Strater is charming and worth the money. We are usually cheapos so the $160 a night was a little pricey, but I definitely think it was worth it and made our stay in Durango that much more fun!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I was very pleased with this hotel. We went to durango on a last min trip. Stayed at another hotel the first night, saw the sign while driving around and decided to try staying here. The rate was right in line if not less than most of the other hotels, and was a great deal. The continental breakfast was one of the best I have had at a hotel, and they sit you in the Mahogany grill which is beautiful. The beds were comfy. Sometime theres some worry about older places that are full of "personality" and what issues that "personality" causes. None here. The service and people around were great, willing to give a "tour" of all the little hotel gems hidden away. I will defiantly be back.

Room Tip: Fourth floor, and a corner room near the back is a little bigger.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Although it's in downtown and not close to the ski resort, I had stayed here before and liked the hotel and the location. You are in a good spot in old downtown where you can walk to fast food, grocery store, bars, the train, etc. It's been 8 years or so and the hotel still looks great inside. Looks like an old western in color. The front desk staff was very friendly and had a good knowledge of the area bars and restaurants.

There are two bar/restaurants on site. One, accessed from the main lobby is like an old west bar and an older crowd seems to hang out here, the second, called The Office I think, has a younger more local crowd. Was surprised how good a deal he food was.....Had a flat iron steak in The Office for $14......

Breakfast is really nice and is more than what I expected....had fresh fruit and bagels and hot soup (Pelote) with pastries.

The room is comfortable with interesting antique furniture. Heater worked well when it was -20 outside. Mattress is pretty firm and not great quality but comfortable.

Couple peeves I had that may not be a big deal to some. First, the doors have pretty strong springs on them and if you are a light sleeper you will be awakened by the "ker-thump" of doors closing around you very early and late. Second, like a lot of hotels nowdays, the shower stream is about like a shower in a old Winnebago Camper. Very sad..... And lastly, the hotel preauthorized my card for about $3000. even though I was only staying for a couple days. When asked, he front desk staff said that the business office probably hit too many digits??

Room Tip: Get a room away from the staircase otherwise you will here the foot traffic.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Evergreen, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Decided to not stay in a chain hotel, and very happy with my choice. Very clean, and the staff were all very friendly. Room was clean, and unique with antiques. There is an excellent restaruant on-site for a delicious high-end dinner, a bar for music and drinks and room service food was delicious. Happy all the way around. Great location on Main Street, with free parking across the street from the hotel...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Strater Hotel? Share your experiences!