“Great location!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Shreveport, Louisiana
“Great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Nice hotel, easily accessed from highway into town. Within walking distance to downtown, the train and an Alberstons grocery is conveniently located across the side street. Our room was on the lowest level, with a walk out patio to the river trail and river access. It was a very large room, with 2 very comfortable queens, a comfy chairs and nice bathroom.
My only complaint would be the carpet was dingy and the room had a musty smell when we arrived. Upon returning after an outing, a cat rug and dog dish with dog treats had been put in the room. I was a appalled. I had never seen anything like that before, so I immediately knew it was a pet friendly room. We do not prefer pet friendly rooms as we do not travel with pets. There were people next to us with a dog that barked loudly from time to time during the night. It wasn't bad enough for us to complain though. If I were to return, I would have to ask for a non-pet room, if one is available.
A plus though, was we were provided 2 bottles of water and a nice note recognizing us as Hilton Honors members.
We ate dinner in the restaurant that overlooks the Animas river. The food was delicious. We were very impressed with the food, presentation and service. The view was awesome. We did not eat breakfast either morning but I believe it is buffet, not complimentary.
All in all, it was a pleasant stay and we loved the location as we like to walk around a small town.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Peter M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Durango, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for reviewing our hotel, the DoubleTree by Hilton Durango on Trip Advisor. It is great to get your feedback and learn that you enjoyed our location. It is a great location, on the banks of the Animas River, close to all the amenities that Durango has to offer. Thank you for staying with us, we welcome you back anytime you are in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Lubbock, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

the title says it all. I just spent 2 nights at the double tree for my wedding so we were in "the best suite" which was out dated a bit. the sliding door to one of the private decks was barley hanging on to the wall, all of the lamp shades were bent or stained not to mention none of them matched at all, and the fold out couch was stained. For 500.00 a night I was disappointed although the location was great and its very roomie. did I mention nothing was included with the room besides a cookie that was handed to us upon check in. this hotel has great river views though....
I have stayed at many Hilton hotels and this is defiantly the lowest quality....sad to say :(

Room Tip: the suite isn't worth the money (500.00 a night), no breakfast but café onsite, great river view...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Peter M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Durango, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you for reviewing our hotel, the DoubleTree by Hilton Durango on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your comments. We noted your issues with the suite and have addressed them via our housekeeping and maintenance teams. We thank you for staying with us and hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back should your travels bring you back to this area.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Don't get me wrong, this hotel is very nice and the food is very yummy but the have airline crews that stay here. And there is nothing wrong with the airline crews themselves but if they happen to be put in a room up above you and have an early flight they just may wake you up. Two mornings in a row I was woken up by an airline crew that was staying up above me. That crew sounded like they were doing jumping jacks when they walked across the floor. Holy cow I thought they were going to come thru the roof. The first morning I did mention this to the front desk and he apologized. But I was not so friendly when it happened the next morning as well. Fortunately I was leaving that day or I would have requested a different room. So if you are planning to stay here make sure you ask for a room on the top floor or one the don't use for airline crews... unless of course you are an early riser.
But I would also like to mention that otherwise the staff is very attentive to your needs. I had a problem with my sliding door and a lamp and it was taken care of right away. With a note and some chocolates left my the gentleman that took care of it.
My rateing would have been better except for the fact of being woken up 2 times in a row at 4:00am. Would I stay here again? Yes but I would ask for a top room floor where no one else is above me.

Room Tip: ask for a room that will not have a airline crew staying above you! The river side views are bett...
Green Features: They do have recycle containers located all throughout the hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. the DoubleTree by Hilton Durango on Trip Advisor. It is always great to get feedback from our guests. We do sometimes get noise complaints and have instructed our team to be very proactive in addressing these to avoid the kind of issues that you experienced. We are glad that your requests were handled promptly by our staff. Thank you for staying with us. We would like to welcome you back to stay again whenever your travels bring you back to Durango.
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

We had a double river-view room with balcony for three nights. The non-river view rooms look out over the parking lot - not the nicest of views if you'll be lounging on your balcony. The room was quite large, with two sinks and plenty of room to move the four of us and all of our stuff around. There's a coin-operated (you can also purchase detergent in there from a machine) laundry room that officially closes at 9pm but we were able to finish our laundry after that time. Breakfast was included in our room so we took advantage of that - beautiful buffet with pretty good food, but I wouldn't pay $17 for the buffet otherwise. Nice omelet station, waffles, lots of fruit and yogurt choices. Solid wifi (again, included in our rate when we were there). Bigger indoor pool than most hotels. The lower level where the pool and laundry are is a bit dated and needs some updating. We used Durango as our hopping off point to the San Juan Skyway (and a wonderful day in Ouray) and to Mesa Verde (about 45 minutes to park entrance). You can walk into main street area of Durango in less than five minutes from this hotel - a great plus. And, there's a large grocery store next door for gathering picnic supplies, etc. Staff were very professional and helpful.

Room Tip: Book a river view room and enjoy a few minutes on the pretty balcony.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing our hotel, the DoubleTree by Hilton Durango on Trip Advisor. We do appreciate your feedback. Its great to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have great rooms, plenty of space, etc. We are in the planning stages for a renovation for our hotel. We are waiting for corporate approvals. We do thank you for staying with us and welcome you back anytime you are in the area.
Paraparaumu, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

This is a big swish hotel but feels comfortable. Staff friendly and helpful.
I liked the chocolate cookie in the room on arrival!
The bed was a bit soft for me, but still fairly comfortable.. Good size towels.
Handy for station and restaurants

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for reviewing our hotel, the DoubleTree by Hilton Durango on Trip Advisor. Its great to get feedback from our guests. We're pleased that you had a great stay with us and enjoyed our guest rooms. Our beds are specially made for Hilton Hotels and are called Sweet Dreams Beds. They consist of a feather bed on top of a firm mattress set and are completed with down pillows and comforter. They are very popular with our guests. Thanks for staying with us, come back to see us again soon.
pineville, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

This was a beautiful hotel in Durango. If you are looking for place to stay - choose this. Restaurant was also very good. and there is an excellent gift shop, too. Rooms were quiet and very comfortable. Everything is new and clean.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for reviewing our hotel, the DoubleTree by Hilton Durango on Trip Advisor. We do appreciate your feedback. We're pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks for choosing our hotel; we welcome you back anytime you are in the Durango area.
Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

If you are looking for a conveniently located hotel close to downtown then this hotel is good. The hotel is overpriced for the service you receive. Nothing is free or included in the price of the room. You can get the same room amenities at a hotel half the price. They do not have a continental breakfast available free of charge it cost $10 and was mediocre at best. I will not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for reviewing our hotel, the DoubleTree by Hilton Durango on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your comments. I hope that you will consider our off-season offerings that are substantially more affordable, but I do understand that the summer is much higher. We do thank you for staying with us and of course welcome you back anytime you are in the area.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Durango? Share your experiences!