“Stayed two nights” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 30 Hotels in Durango
Grand Junction, Colorado
“Stayed two nights”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

The housekeeping seemed good and was the best attribute of our room.
There was no place to hang clothes until we complained and they installed a rod under the stairs.
The tub and sink drained slowly.
The toilet did not flush properly.
The light over the bathroom counter is inadequate.
The tub taps leak.
The room is awkwardly arranged with only one bed side table.
There was no Wi-Fi in our room.
We'll not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Was talked into this place by hotels.com phone operator unfortunately. Ended up with a restless nights sleep. Outdated and extremely sketchy. My boyfriend slept with a knife beside our bed just to be safe if needed. The adjoining doors for the next door bedroom looked like it had been kicked down before. It barely locked and was unlocked when we first came in. The bathroom was so unappealing and the loft had no AC. The room smelled AWFUL. We ended up leaving at 2am so we didn't have to be there anymore. NOT WORTH $120. Spend and extra few bucks to have an enjoyable comfortable stay SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!

Stayed July 2014
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Our family of 4 stayed here 2 nights after waiting too long to book a "standard" hotel and not wanting to pay high, last minute booking prices. The location is fine, the rooms are dated but okay for the price -- kind of a campy feel, but the lack of decent A/C is hard to take after a long day of rafting and walking Main St. The A/C works, but the room doesn't truly cool down until sometime in the middle of the night. Coffee is decent in the morning, but don't bank on breakfast -- we tried it and ended up eating somewhere else. Ultimately, we saved $200 staying here rather than at a more commercialized lodging, but we also sacrificed a bit in comfort....oh, we wore our flip-flops inside, too, because the carpet is old...and dirty....and kind of sticky. We also had to air out the room after every cleaning because of the air or carpet freshener....more harm than good there. Probably an effort to cover up the dingy carpet smell. I wouldn't choose this lodging again, although we made it alright for 2 days.

Stayed July 2014
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Our first impression was NOT good but it was turned around quickly.

We booked a "Standard" room for 3 nights for our Durango part of our vacation. The reviews were mixed so I was a little leery. The day of check in I called to let them know we would be checking in late and I asked to confirm we would have 2 queen beds (Booking.com said 2 queens). The nice girl who took my call informed me that we would actually have 1 queen and 1 double. I read in reviews that the upstairs rooms were hot so I asked if the Queen was downstairs and she told me no, that it was upstairs. She put me on hold and checked to see if they had any rooms with 2 queens available and came back and told me they were booked solid that night. I told her no problem at all, we would make it work.

We arrived very late at night (after midnight so early morning really) and got to our room. It was old and outdated and VERY hot upstairs. So much for going right to sleep. The kids took the double downstairs and hubby and I stayed upstairs. There was no fan..nothing to help circulate the air since the a/c was downstairs.

The next morning we got up very early for the train. Early in the afternoon while in Silverton I noticed I had missed a call and had a voicemail. It was the hotel. I called them back and they told me that they were moving us to a Trackside deluxe room with 2 queen beds per the management. Talk about a "Wow" moment. We never asked or complained but they proactively moved us. They said just to come get the new key and told us what our new room # would be and that there would be no additional charge.

After our lovely day on the train we got back around 6:30 and got all our stuff out of the old room and went to pick up the key for our new room at the office. The new room was night and day from the old one! Completely remodeled with a little kitchen area and a jacuzzi tub as well as upgraded beds (both queens) and bedding. We also had a lovely view of the mountains and really enjoyed being able to watch the trains go by right from the room. There was a fan upstairs and TV's both upstairs and down. (flatscreen downstairs) We thoroughly enjoyed the remainder of our stay at the Iron Horse and will definitely stay again in a Trackside Deluxe Room. (Not the Standard) The front desk told us they have remodeled all of the trackside rooms so far and are working on getting the remaining rooms upgraded soon.

2 of the mornings we were there we ate the continental breakfast. Just enough options to get you to lunch. The waffle station is a nice touch.

Kudos to the management and staff for being proactive and making our stay so comfortable and pleasant!

Room Tip: Trackside Deluxe is the only way to go.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We called the Iron Horse Inn our home base for 2 nights as we explored the spectacular surroundings of Durango and the San Juan Mountains. Most important was that it was pet-friendly, so based on that alone, I am appreciative of any place that welcomes our boys. And boy, oh boy, are they pet-friendly. Almost everyone at the Inn had their pups with them. The room was a funky bi-level, standard room, so all we had was a microwave (no fridge). But another big plus was the extra pillows that I pulled down from the upstairs bedroom (great for families!). I made fast friends with the sweetest front-desk/reservations/check-in gal in the lobby. Thank you, Janelle, for your friendly and welcoming service! We loved Durango and hope to be back really soon! Special note for sightseers: head NORTH up to Silverton, Ouray, and over to Telluride - great day-trip loop. Don't forget your cameras!

Room Tip: Standard rooms do not have mini-fridges. WiFi available in the lobby area.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

My Daughter and I were finishing up a 2300 mi 4 day college tour and was scheduled to visit Ft Lewis College in Durango on June 26th. Coming from the Denver area, we knew we would be late and called the hotel to let them know and to arrange a late arrival. They informed us there would be a note on the door with a phone number to call, a phone outside for our convenience. When we arrived a 1 am, there was a phone, but no note, no number. I would not have been so bad except the town was completely booked on the 25th. our option was to try to find a room or sleep in the car. An hour and a half later, we did find a wonderful individual who gave us his emergency room. When I contacted the manager at the Iron Horse, he said he was "sorry" about what happened, but would not pay us the difference of $60 between his room and the room we finally found. This was a horrible experience and just wanted to warn people of the carelessness and un-businesslike attitude of this establishment. I recommend you do not give them your money, and because Durango sometimes fills up, book early.

Room Tip: Choose to never stay here
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hutchinson, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This place is on the far north end of town, but the bi-level suites and trackside views make it a unique place to stay. They have plenty of parking right in front of your door and the rooms are nicely equipped with the modern standards (fridge, microwave, flat panel TV) as well as less usual features like a fireplace and the upstairs bedroom. The free trolley stops in front of the office every twenty minutes, so it is easy to get downtown for shopping and dining, without having to deal with traffic or parking. They had a nice breakfast selection with plenty of room and another nice view of the trains.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Been to Iron Horse Inn? Share your experiences!