“One night passing through was enough.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
All rooms are Bi-level!
Ranked #26 of 30 Hotels in Durango
Phoenix, Arizona
“One night passing through was enough.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Just dated and older. Pretty expensive for a place like this. I really do not have anything good to say about our stay. A bit outside of town, will need to drive. I would say pass unless it was $50 cheaper. We paid a little over a $100.

• Stayed June 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Greenbrier, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We chose the Iron Horse Inn due to price (109 for 2 queens, including taxes) and the fact that it had a view of the tracks (we were in town to ride the train).There have been some efforts to renovate this unique motel outside of Durango. The bedding was all nice and new/updated. The walls/paneling had been painted/updated. The bathroom was in need of a redo. Fireplace would be neat in winter but obviously not useful in summer. Which brings me to my main complaint. It was HOT and stuffy. These are bi-level rooms with one bed up in a loft area. The a/c unit is downstairs. The air simply doesn't circulate upstairs, even though it is open. There was a box fan upstairs and a window but I am not comfortable sleeping with open windows. My husband went to sample the breakfast and said it was typical continental fare and wasn't appealing so we didn't go over. The pool was tee tiny and we did not use that either. Overall, it was an average experience but the heat/stuffiness prevented us from staying another night.

Room Tip: rooms facing the tracks are 10 more but they do have somewhat of a view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Riverside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I stayed at this hotel about 6 years ago on a whim and decided to return based on good memories. The hotel is clean and offers a decent breakfast. We stayed on the track side. I like the studio set up of the room however the stairs are pretty steep and could be dangerous for little ones. I just blocked them with a suitcase so that my baby couldn't climb them. The staff is nice. I saw another comment that someone was mad the refrigerator wasn't plugged in, but there is a sign on it to just plug it in if it isn't on... who can blame them for saving energy? The hotel is a little ways out of town so if you want to walk to restaurants from your hotel this isn't the place for you. I don't mind driving a couple minutes to save me money. We enjoyed eating on the picnic benches next to the railroad tracks in the beautiful scenery.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Maitland, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I reserved two nights accommodation at the Iron Horse, principally going the "look" and location close to the railway line. I should have done my homework (although I thought I did). The number of guests should have made us more aware when booking in. Once booked in we found out the full extent.

First it was well out of town with no nearby restaurants. The rooms although appearing on the surface to be "clean" were far from it. Junk under the bed (must have been there for a long time. Old and dated furniture, Fridge was not even plugged in. Bathroom terrible.

Only stayed one night as too spooked. Do your homework if you are considering. This place needs a major makeover.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

The Iron Horse Inn provides good value in an otherwise expensive town. Each year since 2009 we have brought a group of wounded/injured troops and veterans from Fort Carson, Colorado and Fort Huachuca, Arizona to Durango for some Fly Fishing. The folks at Iron Horse have bent over backwards for us to accommodate our special needs and insure a great trip.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Oxford, Pennsylvania, Usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

If this place was priced the same as most of the hotels we scoped out in Durango, I think some of the complaints I've read here would be more valid, but on our Rocky Mountain trip, we wanted to stay at some places that weren't the usual sanitized chains. I enjoyed seeing the Silverton-Durango train right by. For us, traveling with a teenager, the room set-up was perfect---he had some privacy upstairs and we were able to enjoy a VERY comfortable bed downstairs. The hotel was pretty quiet for the most part. The little trolley came and took us into downtown Durango every night which was fun and we could drink lots of beer and not worry about driving. :D It was far enough along on our trip we were ready to do laundry and were able to do that here. The only real complaint I had was the lack of wifi in the rooms. If they fix that they get an extra star from me. I would certainly stay here again if in the area.

Room Tip: Closer to the office you might pick up a wifi signal if that's important to you.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Searcy, Arkansas, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

First room reading lights above bed broken. Second room floor lamp broken. Chairs in laundry room broken. No WiFi in rooms. No heat of cool upstairs. Generally old and decrepit. Definitely over priced.

Only plus - nice breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Iron Horse Inn? Share your experiences!