“Not Exactly What We Thought We Booked” 2 of 5 stars

Iron Horse Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5800 North Main Street, Durango, CO 81301   |
Ranked #26 of 30 hotels in Durango
Ridgway, Colorado
“Not Exactly What We Thought We Booked”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here and knew it was an older establishment. The room we were in had painted paneling, which was coming off the wall. My toddler almost pulled off the corner molding with exposed nails. The light fixtures were covered with dust and dead bugs. We had to replace light bulbs along with batteries in the tv remote. A bathtub stopper had to be retrieved from the front desk. The carpet on the stairs was tattered. An alarm clock is not provided either. The upstairs room had old mini blinds that didn't keep out much light and was hot in the afternoon/early evening. Other suites had blackout curtains for the second floor. The website indicated queen sized beds and flat screen TV's but failed to say it was a limited number of suites with these. Our room had full sized beds only. Three chairs were provided in the room but one was missing half of the upholstery on it. The bathtub was damaged and the fan didn't work either. The trolley system is great, along with the play area and pool. Don't set high expectations if you plan to stay here--guess you get what you pay for during the summer season.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

142 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Aurora, CO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We went back to the Iron Horse Inn after 13 years and were stunned at how it has gone downhill, especially since we had read that they have upgraded their rooms. Clearly, not the room we were in! Carpet was worn and torn and dirty, the microwave didn't work, there was no remote for the TV, pop machine didn't work and the ice machine near our room was empty. The toilet needed frequent plunging - not our fault, just poor water flow/pressure. Maybe it was because we were on the side that allows pets but I have seen many other hotels that take pets and they were not this bad. The staff was polite and acted very quickly regarding the microwave and the remote but the building itself was in very poor shape. Don't think we would go back, should we decide to go to Durango again. The town is very nice, people ffriendly and the free shuttle is wonderful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We came to Durango to ride the train and were looking for a discounted hotel. The Iron Horse Inn was a very good deal for the price. The staff was friendly and ready to help in any capacity possible. We enjoyed watching the train and the laundry facility on site. Our kids loved the game room which had air hockey and many arcade games. The front desk staff was very knowledgeable about the town and gave us wonderful suggestions about what to do and where to eat in durango. Would recommend toa friend.

Room Tip: Upgrade to trackside it is worth the extra 10$ newly renovovated and flat screen tvs.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

The split level suites are great for cooking when you don't want to eat out and the up and down stairs are great for the family. The best units face the train and are on the back of the property. These are no-frills suites but at a good value. There is a pool which feels great after a lot of walking around town. It is right on the rail line for the Narrow Gauge and the town trolley stops on the hill making it easy to get to town without fighting the parking. The continental breakfast is skinny but after all they aren't know for cooking here. It is just close enough to town to be convenient and far enough that you can sleep.

Room Tip: If you family likes watching the train get the suites out back, otherwise the train will wake you up...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Canton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

In booking this hotel, we thought we would be closer to town than we were but it was still only a 5 minute drive into town. The local FREE shuttle will pick you up right outside your door every 20 minutes making it easy to get around. The rooms are 2 stories. Ours had a queen on each floor giving us some space-important for 3 adults but there were no closets to hang our clothes or put our suitcases which could have been a bummer if we had stayed more than two nights. The rooms were dated and dark but spotless. A fireplace was in the room for chilly nights. The young gentleman at the desk was very helpful and the continental breakfast started early and was plenty to get you on your way. The pool was closed for the season or out of commission, I don't know which but there was a great children's play area.

Room Tip: I read some rooms are remodeled and some are not. I would ask for a remodeled room. Also, some are t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

booked this hotel because it was pet friendly. there are 2 sides to this hotel the renovated and the seriously dated! pets are not allowed in rennovated rooms. went to check in and there was no one on the front desk....went to check out and the office was closed old fashioned keys and no drop box. rooms very dark and no in room coffee maker; wifi signal only available near front office. whole property needs to be rennovated.

Room Tip: if you must ask for rennovated room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Burleson, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

First of all I don't go on vacation for the hotel I stay in, I go to do. So 10 yrs ago we stayed here to ski, we loved this place. Loved the arcade area, loved the bi-level suite. This time (Aug 2012) I came with my hubby and our boy to ride the Durango Train. It was excellent to stay in the trackside suite. We watched the train every time it came past. It made my son so happy:) My boy loved the fact that he got to sleep upstairs in his own room, and so did we! Yes, there is nothing extravagant about the rooms but they do the job. We only need a place to sleep, wash up and chill. This place did that. My son loved the playground and even got to take a dip in the pool. The playground is new and now my son wants a hotrod tire swing, lol. The pool is heated which was good becuase it was chilly in the morning and evening.
The rooms have a old fashion look and feel, but like I said I don't go on vacation for my hotel room. If I wanted a nicer room I could have paid $200-$300 more and stayed an a more updated hotel and if you want a room with all the bells and whistles I suggest you do. But if you are just going to do, this is a great place. I didn't see any bugs, my shower was clean, I got wifi, bed sheets were changed daily, the tv served it purpose, fresh towels delivered every day, we used the microwave to warm up left overs, used the fridge to store them and the a/c blew perfect cold air. We did open the windows upstairs for our son, but he thought that was cool! The employees were very polite to us and when I had a hard time getting my key to work, he was happy to come assist me.
It seems several others had a bad experience with Iron Horse Inn. That makes me sad. This place wsa great for me and my family 10 yrs ago, great for us this year and I'm sure it will be great next time. I will continue to stay at Iron Horse Inn:)

Room Tip: If you are going for the train, stay trackside
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Iron Horse Inn? Share your experiences!