“Stayed here 10yrs ago, stayed again, will stay here in future” 5 of 5 stars

Iron Horse Inn
5800 North Main Street, Durango, CO 81301   |
Ranked #25 of 30 hotels in Durango
Burleson, Texas, United States
“Stayed here 10yrs ago, stayed again, will stay here in future”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

First of all I don't go on vacation for the hotel I stay in, I go to do. So 10 yrs ago we stayed here to ski, we loved this place. Loved the arcade area, loved the bi-level suite. This time (Aug 2012) I came with my hubby and our boy to ride the Durango Train. It was excellent to stay in the trackside suite. We watched the train every time it came past. It made my son so happy:) My boy loved the fact that he got to sleep upstairs in his own room, and so did we! Yes, there is nothing extravagant about the rooms but they do the job. We only need a place to sleep, wash up and chill. This place did that. My son loved the playground and even got to take a dip in the pool. The playground is new and now my son wants a hotrod tire swing, lol. The pool is heated which was good becuase it was chilly in the morning and evening.
The rooms have a old fashion look and feel, but like I said I don't go on vacation for my hotel room. If I wanted a nicer room I could have paid $200-$300 more and stayed an a more updated hotel and if you want a room with all the bells and whistles I suggest you do. But if you are just going to do, this is a great place. I didn't see any bugs, my shower was clean, I got wifi, bed sheets were changed daily, the tv served it purpose, fresh towels delivered every day, we used the microwave to warm up left overs, used the fridge to store them and the a/c blew perfect cold air. We did open the windows upstairs for our son, but he thought that was cool! The employees were very polite to us and when I had a hard time getting my key to work, he was happy to come assist me.
It seems several others had a bad experience with Iron Horse Inn. That makes me sad. This place wsa great for me and my family 10 yrs ago, great for us this year and I'm sure it will be great next time. I will continue to stay at Iron Horse Inn:)

Room Tip: If you are going for the train, stay trackside
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

139 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Once again a wonderful trip to Durango made even better by our stay at the Iron Horse Inn. The accomodations, the staff and service, and the scenic view(track side) are what keep calling us back for the past 10 years...and next year we'll do it again!

Thanks Iron Mike(manager) for making our stay in Durango enjoyable and memorable.

"Same time next year".

RENODFW

Room Tip: Trackside rooms have scenic view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Tucson
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We travel to Durango regularly but this time couldn't get reservations at any of the more reputable hotels. This claimed renovated rooms, suites with refrigerator and mircrowave, queen beds upsatairs and down. When we arrived at the front desk the young lady asked how he could help us. Of course she never looked at us and clicked around on her computer resting her chin on the other hand. Obviously bored and didn't really care if we were there or not. She gave us our room number, the keys and circled the room on a little map. To say that she lacked enthusiasm would be an understatement. The room was just a little distance down from the office. We gave it a quick check before bringing in our belongings. The "refrigerator" was the smallest I have ever seen, as was the microwave. No coffee maker....? In the vanity there were two sinks - one for "personal" use and one that was a kitchen type. I guess for doing the dishes from all of the food cooked in the microwave? Too bad the cold water didn't work on that one. The shower worked but the drain "ring" was so corroded it was almost non-existent. No bed bugs but when I checked the upstairs room I noticed there was no ventilation. However, there were windows to cool the room down if you wanted to brave the spiders to open the screenless window. My husband went over to "his" side of the bed and thats when he noticed that the air conditioner had leaked fairly regularly and the mold on the brick wall right below was beyond a health hazard. We immediately requested to move. We were given a room two doors closer to the office. Identical setup to the first room but appeared to be a little better - no mold on the bricks and everything worked. The tub mat was a dull gray. Never see them sold in that color before and probaly won't. I tried to get onto wi-fi, but couldn't. I called the office and she said htat we were probaby too far away and perhaps should come to the lobby to use it. So much for being on a business trip. We spent the night but neither of us slept well. The next morning I showered and as I was drying my hair my husband brought me this huge piece of metal that he had stepped on and tt had once been an industrial staple. When he lifted his foot to pull it out he realized how dirty his foot was from walking on the carpet. Luckily it didn't puncture the skin I wanted to leave immediately but since we booked through "Gateway" he insisted that they wouldn't refund the money. While he was in the shower I went down to the office.The manager was there and said that he could call Gateway to change to another hotel or that I could call myself. He was quite nice and apologetic. I opted to call myself and before leaving the office recommended that he check out the mold in the first room we were in because it was in violation of health laws. His eyes got wide as he wrote down room number. Obviously he doesn't do enough room inspections. I was too busy packing to get out of there to even consider walking over to the breakfast area. Since our first night had been the final day of a large event in Durango we were able to get into one of our favorite hotels for the duration of our stay.

Room Tip: Afirst glance the rooms look quaint and rustic with the fireplace and stairs. But don't be fool...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Loveland, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Wish I had read the reviews of others rather than basing our booking on the hotel website and photos. We were offered a "newly remodeled" room as part of a package w/ the Durango-Silverton railroad. The only update I observed was a small, flat screen TV that you could not see from the bed. Very dim, not clean, bugs. Cracks in the sink and had to crouch under the showerhead and I'm 5'4". "Bath towels" barely covered my 6 yr old's body. And does not offer the amenities that ALL modern hotels/motels offer: no hair dryers, no coffee in room. Upstairs terribly hot. No wi-fi in the room. Breakfast was lacking. The pool is quite nice but the shady crowd hanging out in the parking lot made this less enjoyable. Sadly, dreaded returning to the room at the end of our days out in beautiful Durango - really put a damper on our 3-night stay.

Louisburg, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We thought it would be fun to have a room right along the Narrow Gauge railroad so we could watch the trains, and that part was kind of cool, but this hotel has definitely seen better days. I can't say that our stay was terrible, as our room was basically clean and served it's purpose. We were on a long family vacation, and chose this place because they also offered a "Family Suite" with 3 beds, which was a plus for our 2 grown children, as they could have their own bed for the night. Another plus was the free shuttle that came right through the property and picked you up to take you downtown where all the shops and restaurants were. That allowed us to leave our car, relax for the ride in, and we could all have a drink with dinner and not have to drive back. The negatives.... it is somewhat outdated, especially the bathrooms. The couch in the living room was the most uncomfortable thing I have ever sat on, and we really had to do some adjusting of furniture to make sure that the sleeping area (on the 2nd floor of the suite) could get the cool air from the air conditioner (two of the beds were covering up the vents, and when we first arrived, thought there was no way we could sleep upstairs, as it was so warm, but moved the beds a little and opened the vents all the way, and by the time we retired for the night, it was nice and cool). It was also further out of town than we expected. Good thing for that shuttle, or it would have taken us another 10-15 minutes to drive back into town. Overall, it was an ok place to stay. We were only there one night, so it served it's purpose. Would we stay again.... probably not, but we have definitely stayed in worse places.

Room Tip: If you want a room along the railroad tracks, it will cost you a little more, and you need to book i...
Littleton, Colorado, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Stayed there a few weeks ago while on business. I took my family with me and the Double Tree was booked. Soooo even though after reading the other reviews I chanced it. It isn't the worst but the floors are gross. They also provide minimal clean towels and I am not entirely sure theyare 100% clean. I went to Walmart and bought some cleaning supplies and made it livable. They are spacious and the crowd there is colorful. Service is of NO importance so don't go expecting anyone to address your needs. It is cheap and thus far bed bug free. It is a step up from tent camping. If you are ok with that (which I was for my short stay). I really wish they had some owners who cared it could be awesome.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Iron_Horse_Durango, Manager at Iron Horse Inn, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
First, I'd like to apologize if you found your stay with us unpleasant. We do supply four towels in each room upon check in, and we keep an additional supply of clean towels at our front desk. Also, our cleaning staff completes regularly-scheduled shampooing of all rooms' carpets. If there were any issues where you requested assistance from our staff that we were unable to provide, we again apologize and hope you'll stay with us again down the line. We sincerely hope the rest of your travels went well!
Julesburg, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

My first reaction to the hotel was that it was a very neat place however as time went on the experience got worse and worse. Our first night there we started to notice an ant problem in our room. Not too pleasant waking up to ants crawling on you while you are in bed. Also it seemed as if people were living in the hotel. There were always people outside standing around drinking. Not very desirable people either I might add. The second night there a huge fight broke out in front of our room and four cops showed up. Later that night the cops had to be called back out to break up another fight. Our third night there I was approached by two men who were drunk. I asked them several times to leave me alone but they wouldnt go away. After being completely terrified and threatening to call the police they finally walked away. After that my friend and I checked out and went and found another hotel for the remainder of our trip. The hotels sign claims this is a family friendly hotel......I think not!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
We appreciate that you found our property unique. We are proud of being an unconventional motel with our bi-level rooms and glad we were able to pique your interest. As for your stay with us, I'm terribly sorry that you didn't have a good time. Again, we pride ourselves on being fun for the whole family with our outdoor swimming pool, large play area, and game room. I wish you would have notified our employees about your concerns because we surely would have done everything in our power to rectify the situation to make your stay more pleasant. Again, I'm very sorry that your stay was less than memorable, and I hope you're willing to give us a second chance to make things better sometime in the future.

Been to Iron Horse Inn? Share your experiences!