“Served it's purpose, but nothing special.” 3 of 5 stars

Iron Horse Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5800 North Main Street, Durango, CO 81301   |
Ranked #26 of 30 hotels in Durango
Louisburg, Kansas
“Served it's purpose, but nothing special.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We thought it would be fun to have a room right along the Narrow Gauge railroad so we could watch the trains, and that part was kind of cool, but this hotel has definitely seen better days. I can't say that our stay was terrible, as our room was basically clean and served it's purpose. We were on a long family vacation, and chose this place because they also offered a "Family Suite" with 3 beds, which was a plus for our 2 grown children, as they could have their own bed for the night. Another plus was the free shuttle that came right through the property and picked you up to take you downtown where all the shops and restaurants were. That allowed us to leave our car, relax for the ride in, and we could all have a drink with dinner and not have to drive back. The negatives.... it is somewhat outdated, especially the bathrooms. The couch in the living room was the most uncomfortable thing I have ever sat on, and we really had to do some adjusting of furniture to make sure that the sleeping area (on the 2nd floor of the suite) could get the cool air from the air conditioner (two of the beds were covering up the vents, and when we first arrived, thought there was no way we could sleep upstairs, as it was so warm, but moved the beds a little and opened the vents all the way, and by the time we retired for the night, it was nice and cool). It was also further out of town than we expected. Good thing for that shuttle, or it would have taken us another 10-15 minutes to drive back into town. Overall, it was an ok place to stay. We were only there one night, so it served it's purpose. Would we stay again.... probably not, but we have definitely stayed in worse places.

Room Tip: If you want a room along the railroad tracks, it will cost you a little more, and you need to book i...

145 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Littleton, Colorado, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Stayed there a few weeks ago while on business. I took my family with me and the Double Tree was booked. Soooo even though after reading the other reviews I chanced it. It isn't the worst but the floors are gross. They also provide minimal clean towels and I am not entirely sure theyare 100% clean. I went to Walmart and bought some cleaning supplies and made it livable. They are spacious and the crowd there is colorful. Service is of NO importance so don't go expecting anyone to address your needs. It is cheap and thus far bed bug free. It is a step up from tent camping. If you are ok with that (which I was for my short stay). I really wish they had some owners who cared it could be awesome.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Iron_Horse_Durango, Manager at Iron Horse Inn, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
First, I'd like to apologize if you found your stay with us unpleasant. We do supply four towels in each room upon check in, and we keep an additional supply of clean towels at our front desk. Also, our cleaning staff completes regularly-scheduled shampooing of all rooms' carpets. If there were any issues where you requested assistance from our staff that we were unable to provide, we again apologize and hope you'll stay with us again down the line. We sincerely hope the rest of your travels went well!
Julesburg, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

My first reaction to the hotel was that it was a very neat place however as time went on the experience got worse and worse. Our first night there we started to notice an ant problem in our room. Not too pleasant waking up to ants crawling on you while you are in bed. Also it seemed as if people were living in the hotel. There were always people outside standing around drinking. Not very desirable people either I might add. The second night there a huge fight broke out in front of our room and four cops showed up. Later that night the cops had to be called back out to break up another fight. Our third night there I was approached by two men who were drunk. I asked them several times to leave me alone but they wouldnt go away. After being completely terrified and threatening to call the police they finally walked away. After that my friend and I checked out and went and found another hotel for the remainder of our trip. The hotels sign claims this is a family friendly hotel......I think not!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
We appreciate that you found our property unique. We are proud of being an unconventional motel with our bi-level rooms and glad we were able to pique your interest. As for your stay with us, I'm terribly sorry that you didn't have a good time. Again, we pride ourselves on being fun for the whole family with our outdoor swimming pool, large play area, and game room. I wish you would have notified our employees about your concerns because we surely would have done everything in our power to rectify the situation to make your stay more pleasant. Again, I'm very sorry that your stay was less than memorable, and I hope you're willing to give us a second chance to make things better sometime in the future.
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

First off, the good news and why I booked in the first place. One of THE only pet friendly hotels in Durango, with no smell detected at all knowing other dogs were there. I didn't expect great looking room because of this, so you shouldn't either. The durango train passes right by the back of the hotel for some great photo shots. Nothing pretty about the room at all (thin indoor/outdoor carpet), eye strain to see the small TV (with very few channels), no shampoo provided in those small packets, no washcloths, toilet needed a plunger, but the worst part for me as a traveler, is NO small refrigerator at all and no in room coffee pot. If you order take out, you better eat it all in one sitting unless you want it on ice. PLUS, their coffee was not working the day I was their....they forgot to "de-freeze" the liquid coffee. NOT BREWED coffee. Came in some frozen rectangular container with a spickit at the bottom. Breakfast was simply cereal, bagels and oatmeal packets. For the price of $109 I would NEVER go again except if I have the dogs. For the price, you get nothing but a bed and a roof over your head.

Room Tip: If you have dogs, you get the standard room only that comes with nothing. BUT, be thankful they allo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Waukesha
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We were in Durango to ride the train and we were able to save a bit on the rooms by booking a combination train/hotel package. As noted in previous review - the wireless did not work in the trackside room - I had to sit in the office or the laundry room to get wireless. The breakfast is pretty basic - but there is a pool and laundry facilities and our room had a microwave/refrigerator and fireplace. We didn't use the fireplace with the temps being in the 90s - but it was a nice addition for atmosphere. Office staff were friendly and helpful. I don't know if the trackside rooms are worth extra - the train does go by - but we were usually out and about when it went through. When I booked Durango hotels on-line there appeared to be limited availability in town - but we saw lots of places with vacancy when we actually drove through town.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

My family decided to stay a night in Durango, on our trip in Colorado. My husband and I had stayed there before, and were excited for the kids to see the trains go by and what not.

We were told the hotel provided free wi-fi and that there was a continental breakfast in the morning. When we got to our room, my husband discovered he couldn't connect to the wi-fi, called the front desk, where they informed us, our room was in the back (by the train track), so it wouldn't work.

The next morning, when we went to get breakfast, all that was left at 9:00 in the morning, was some dried up bagels and a tray of soggy muffins. They ran out of milk, cereal, toast, it was extremely dissapointing!

Then when we were packing up, we discovered a condom wrapper by our bed, which as you could imagine, seriously grossed us out. Obviously, the room wasn't cleaned very well!

When I complained, they said there was nothing they could or (would) do.

I travel to Durango a lot, and will never stay at the Iron Horse Inn again!

Thanks,
Tara Ross

Brighton, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed 3 nights at the Iron Horse Inn, rooms overlooked the lake and had the Steam train going past us which was amazing! Staff were very friendly , room was good bed comfy what more could you ask for, bit far out of town but it has a free tram every 20 minutes which took you in to town. Travelled around USA for 6 weeks and Durango is in my top 3 of places to be in the USA. People were very friendly and bars and restaurants were great>

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Iron Horse Inn? Share your experiences!