“Clean, but outdated and air conditioning broken” 3 of 5 stars

Durango Downtown Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   800 Camino Del Rio, Durango, CO 81301   |
Ranked #16 of 30 hotels in Durango
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Clean, but outdated and air conditioning broken”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

A positive is that the river view is very nice. The river was flowing and it was great to have it in view. I also liked that I didn't have to go through the hotel to get to my room. I did have two rooms next to each other and they came in to fix the air conditioner in one of the rooms without notice. So, that was an interruption about 4 minutes after getting to the room. In the adjoining room, I found out late at night, when it was very warm and stuffy, that the air conditioning wasn't working. Only the fan. So, my nose was stuffy and it wasn't a pleasant sleep. Also, no fan in the bathroom. It was clean, but didn't feel super clean because it was outdated and I could just imagine what was going on in the carpet. The pool and hot tub room were recently remodeled. Nothing special, but it was great for kids. Plusses for the hotel are the low cost, proximity to town, dogs are allowed and it's close to the off-leash dog park. Also, the staff is very nice. Great hotel for family and the room was quiet.

Room Tip: I would pay the extra $10 for the river view room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
mmeehanDurango, General Manager at Durango Downtown Inn, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback to help us improve the hotel. We appreciate very much the kind words about the staff and cleanliness. We are definitely working to resolve the issue with the air conditioner. As the summer starts we are checking every room with our on-staff certified HVAC repairman to ensure that other guests do not have a similair experience. Thank you again so much for your feedback it really helps to make our hotel better. We hope that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Megan Meehan

177 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Creede, colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The hotel isn't historic or mind-blowing. It is comfortable, clean, and easy to get around in with the right price. It is two blocks from Durango's historic main street including, dining, bars, galleries, shops etc. I faced the "garden and pool/hot tub area", I wanted the river walk view but this was nice too. The grounds were well kept and the staff was friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed here on a recent trip to visit a college son. We traveled with a teenager,senior citizen and 2 small dogs! I chose this hotel primarily due to needing to bring the dogs with us and wishing to be located downtown. When we arrived, our rooms were not adjacent as I requested(more like around the corner!) Take note, King beds and double beds are not on the same side! If you are traveling with family and want to have easy access, go with the doublebeds!The clerk on duty was pleasant and accommodating when I asked if we could switch our king room to be closer to my mother. We ended up with 2 double bed rooms which worked out much better. The double rooms look out to the court yard/pool area, very pleasant. One side looks out to the river. If you don't want to go anywhere for meals, the Applebee's is attached and open for breakfast! There is a very nice pool(shallow, only 4ft at deepest) and hot tub, which wasn't very hot on our visit,but nice to hang out in! Very clean, nice towels for use. There is a walking path right behind the hotel and is really nice for walking the dogs, next to the river. The main downtown "Historic District" is a couple of block hike, but easy drive to everything from the hotel. Pet fee was only $10, far cheaper than most places. We will most definitely stay again, especially if we need to bring the dogs with us!

Room Tip: If you want a room facing the courtyard and grass and easy access to the pool, ask double beds!You m...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Love this hotel. Staff was great. Our room wasn't clean when we arrived after 3pm, they recommended a restaurant we could take our pet with us. The room we were given was on the ground floor opening to the courtyard by the pool. Nice location. The outside rooms back up to a river that people were tubing and kayaking. Walked across the street to downtown. Great bars and restaurants with live music. $10 pet fee.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We enjoyed our 2 night stay at this hotel. It was in walking distance of all the fun of downtown and right on the river if you're feeling like a morning jog. Our room was clean and comfortable, and staff was always friendly and helpful when needed. Perfect hotel for bugdet travelers, clean rooms great price. Also it's pet friendly and for only a small fee! Will stay again on our next visit to Durango.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
the west
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Located right on the river, this is a good location but not the nicest hotel. The staff is really great but the hotel is a little tired. This is an economy choice, adequate, but not impressive. There is a nice Applebee's restaurant on site and it is open for breakfast!!! That is a plus.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back of the Inn are right on the river and away from the street noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Made reservations, upon arrival we discovered that there was a communication failure (wrong name, and not correct number of rooms/need two rooms joining) the front desk clerk was amazing at helping me get everything straightened out (I think his name was Forrest or Forrester, something of the sort. Couldn't see his name tag fully) he was very happy to fix the mix up and was a pleasure to do business with!!!
Now..... entering the room, as I opened the door the stench of animal urine slapped us in the face. We opened both room doors and febrezed the room.
went to Durango march 16th and enjoyed the night life for St Patricks day. We returned to our room after Dennys around 3am.. Yes I know a little late, and other guests are trying to sleep. So as we where all eating in our room talking and getting ready for bed a random old man BARGED into our room!!! (our door was cracked slightly as someone had just went outside to smoke) WITHOUT IDENTIFYING HIMSELF HE STARTS SCREAMING and cussing telling us " you are to damn loud, I can hear you from outside shut up or get the hell off the property or I will have the police here in seconds!!!" I got up said "excuse me, sorry for the noise, but I do not appreciate you coming in our room no knock or anything and yelling at us making more noise then what was originally in our room" his reply was "I'm the night manager and can and will tell to you how I feel necessary" I'M SORRY BUT I 100% UNDERSTAND TELLING A BUNCH OF DRUNKS TO QUIET IT DOWN! I am not a drinker and know how obnoxious they can be.BUT I DO NOT FEEL HIS APPROACH WAS PROFESSIONAL NOR APPROPRIATE AT ANY LEVEL! Will never stay again just because the attitude from the manager.
On top of that, I had already fought with myself about wanting to stay at this location due to staying in September and discovering after house keeping had been in the room we where missing clothing (who steals clothes??) We reported the missing items to the front desk where we were told they will write it down, and ask house keeping who said they don't know where the clothes are and unfortunately they had no cameras to look back on. After returning home we found out the hotel had charged our debit card multiple times resulting in us having to fight with them to return the money, which took 11 days to return!!!n all this hotel has a great location,a few great workers. BUT I WILL NEVER STAY AGAIN EVER , as well as any of the rest of the guests that where in the room when the old man decided to come in screaming!! And I'm hoping with this stay my card was only charged once!! Guess we will find out in the morning!!!
I would however like to send apologies to any guest that may have been disturbed by us eating and talking at 3am! Understandable reason to have a manager contact us, just would have enjoyed a professional manager.

• Stayed March 2013
mmeehanDurango, General Manager at Durango Downtown Inn, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback to help improve our hotel. We appreciate the kind words about Forrest. In response to the night attendant coming to your room, this happened only after several noise complaints from your neighbors. While the interpretations of the situation seem to vary, and the night attendant claims he respectfully asked the guest to quite down, we would never want a guest to feel disrespected in any way. That being said, while our location is a perfect place for guests that enjoy imbibing a bit and having a safe place to stay, we will not tolerate guests that are disturbing the rest of the hotel. We take noise complaints very seriously and hope that all of our guests are able to show respect to their fellow neighbors. If this is not the case the situation will be immediately rectified.
In response to your September stay, as you said "who steals cloths", I can assure you that our room attendants do not. We receive hundreds of lost and found items a week, from cash to cloths to diamonds and meticulously keep records of items turned in. We give every effort possible to contact a guest that has left an item in a room with in a day so we are able to ship them. If an item is not picked up or shipped with in a 30 day time frame we will donate all items to a local charity. An accusation of theft of clothing is beyond ludicrous. Once again thank you for your response and I truly apologize that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel.

Been to Durango Downtown Inn? Share your experiences!