“Perfect location, walk to downtown.” 4 of 5 stars

Durango Downtown Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   800 Camino Del Rio, Durango, CO 81301   |
Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Durango
Tampa, Florida
“Perfect location, walk to downtown.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We enjoyed our 2 night stay at this hotel. It was in walking distance of all the fun of downtown and right on the river if you're feeling like a morning jog. Our room was clean and comfortable, and staff was always friendly and helpful when needed. Perfect hotel for bugdet travelers, clean rooms great price. Also it's pet friendly and for only a small fee! Will stay again on our next visit to Durango.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
the west
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Located right on the river, this is a good location but not the nicest hotel. The staff is really great but the hotel is a little tired. This is an economy choice, adequate, but not impressive. There is a nice Applebee's restaurant on site and it is open for breakfast!!! That is a plus.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back of the Inn are right on the river and away from the street noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Made reservations, upon arrival we discovered that there was a communication failure (wrong name, and not correct number of rooms/need two rooms joining) the front desk clerk was amazing at helping me get everything straightened out (I think his name was Forrest or Forrester, something of the sort. Couldn't see his name tag fully) he was very happy to fix the mix up and was a pleasure to do business with!!!
Now..... entering the room, as I opened the door the stench of animal urine slapped us in the face. We opened both room doors and febrezed the room.
went to Durango march 16th and enjoyed the night life for St Patricks day. We returned to our room after Dennys around 3am.. Yes I know a little late, and other guests are trying to sleep. So as we where all eating in our room talking and getting ready for bed a random old man BARGED into our room!!! (our door was cracked slightly as someone had just went outside to smoke) WITHOUT IDENTIFYING HIMSELF HE STARTS SCREAMING and cussing telling us " you are to damn loud, I can hear you from outside shut up or get the hell off the property or I will have the police here in seconds!!!" I got up said "excuse me, sorry for the noise, but I do not appreciate you coming in our room no knock or anything and yelling at us making more noise then what was originally in our room" his reply was "I'm the night manager and can and will tell to you how I feel necessary" I'M SORRY BUT I 100% UNDERSTAND TELLING A BUNCH OF DRUNKS TO QUIET IT DOWN! I am not a drinker and know how obnoxious they can be.BUT I DO NOT FEEL HIS APPROACH WAS PROFESSIONAL NOR APPROPRIATE AT ANY LEVEL! Will never stay again just because the attitude from the manager.
On top of that, I had already fought with myself about wanting to stay at this location due to staying in September and discovering after house keeping had been in the room we where missing clothing (who steals clothes??) We reported the missing items to the front desk where we were told they will write it down, and ask house keeping who said they don't know where the clothes are and unfortunately they had no cameras to look back on. After returning home we found out the hotel had charged our debit card multiple times resulting in us having to fight with them to return the money, which took 11 days to return!!!n all this hotel has a great location,a few great workers. BUT I WILL NEVER STAY AGAIN EVER , as well as any of the rest of the guests that where in the room when the old man decided to come in screaming!! And I'm hoping with this stay my card was only charged once!! Guess we will find out in the morning!!!
I would however like to send apologies to any guest that may have been disturbed by us eating and talking at 3am! Understandable reason to have a manager contact us, just would have enjoyed a professional manager.

• Stayed March 2013
mmeehanDurango, General Manager at Durango Downtown Inn, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback to help improve our hotel. We appreciate the kind words about Forrest. In response to the night attendant coming to your room, this happened only after several noise complaints from your neighbors. While the interpretations of the situation seem to vary, and the night attendant claims he respectfully asked the guest to quite down, we would never want a guest to feel disrespected in any way. That being said, while our location is a perfect place for guests that enjoy imbibing a bit and having a safe place to stay, we will not tolerate guests that are disturbing the rest of the hotel. We take noise complaints very seriously and hope that all of our guests are able to show respect to their fellow neighbors. If this is not the case the situation will be immediately rectified.
In response to your September stay, as you said "who steals cloths", I can assure you that our room attendants do not. We receive hundreds of lost and found items a week, from cash to cloths to diamonds and meticulously keep records of items turned in. We give every effort possible to contact a guest that has left an item in a room with in a day so we are able to ship them. If an item is not picked up or shipped with in a 30 day time frame we will donate all items to a local charity. An accusation of theft of clothing is beyond ludicrous. Once again thank you for your response and I truly apologize that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel.
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I'm surprised that so few people have commented on the cleanliness (or lack thereof) of this hotel. The chairs are covered in thick grime, the curtains clearly haven't been washed since they were installed a jillion years ago, the rug is filled with stains, and the entire room gives the ambiance of old and dirty. It's one of those hotels like you see on that "Hotel Impossible" show. Its only selling point is that it sits along the river, but that's not enough to make it worth staying there. Mess!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback that will help improve our hotel. I truly apologize that the room was not satisfactory, as you stated, this is rarely a complaint that we have. It is an exception and not the rule. We take great pride in the cleanliness of the hotel but realize that things can be overseen. We hope that you will give us an opportunity to show you what so many other guests have experienced. Once again thank you for your feedback.
Megan Meehan
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The hotel is located in a very convenient location just a few blocks from the downtown area. Everything is within walking distance. An Applebee's is attached; however, we shy away from chain restaurants and did not eat/drink there. The pool/hot tub were being updated; therefore, the staff provided free tickets to Trimble Hot Springs. This was a great substitute; however, the second day we requested the tickets, they were out and did not have any available the following day either. Arrangements should have been made between the 2 managements to ensure that guests were accommodated if that is what is stated. Room was clean. Only negative is the square pillows. Overstuffed and square just doesn't make for a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Rooms looking over the Animas River have better view; however, I believe the hotel charges more
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Orangeburg, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a fine hotel; rooms are standard but comfortable. The location is why you want this one. On the backside is a river. On the front (across a slightly busy road) is downtown. You are 2-3 blocks from all the good storefronts and restaurants, which makes your Durango visit very convenient. The only problem I had was that the hot tub wasn't functional, and since I booked through a travel website, I didn't know that ahead of time (kind of the main reason I wanted to stay here). Other than that, I had a great stay and I'm sure you will too.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

The staff at this hotel is wonderful. They let us check in early. The pet fee was only $10 which is cheaper than most hotels. The location is also great. Walking distance to downtown. However, the cleanliness of the rooms are horrible. Hair on the toilet seat, towels are worn, and carpet is dirty and faded. This hotel needs a lot of upgrading and renovation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Durango Downtown Inn? Share your experiences!