“Staff was terrific” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Durango
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Staff was terrific”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

It's not unusual that hotel front desk people are friendly, but here Dustin was exceptional. He was smart, funny and helpful with just the right touch of personality- not overly familiar and no forced cheerfulness, just a truly decent guy. We stayed here one weekend and again 7 days later and were sincerely glad to see him again- a new friend in a new place. The hotel was basic but Dustin made it a place we'd return to anytime.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
goosealina, Manager at BEST WESTERN Durango Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your service received by Dustin. We are truly lucky to have a staff so dedicated to service and customer satisfaction. In addition, the staff are so appreciative of the recognition for their efforts. It is so nice for them to hear the "good things." We will pass your comments along to Dustin. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Durango, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

A nice hotel with friendly staff an a shady pool area. Breakfast outside is possible ! Not far away from the nice riverwalk at the Animas River! A nice Mexican restaurant with good food and good prices and friendly waiters,

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you! We love your comments. We hope to see you again soon and a sincere thanks for taking the time to submit your input.
Lees summit, mo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Don't plan on sleeping past 8am at this Best Western as they schedule your sleep for you! The maid cleaning the room is more important than the comfort and sleep of the guest!!! Maid knocked on our door at 8 am and then opened it waking us from a dead sleep! Since we were on vacation and had been up late the night before the last thing we wanted was to be woke up by a maid! I called the front desk and she informed me I should have put out our "do not disturb" sign and said she would talk to maid service. However, even if we would have had the sign on the door, thebknocking could be heard as the maid proceeded down the corridor. Everything else about the stay was good. Friendly staff, updated and clean rooms.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
goosealina, Manager at BEST WESTERN Durango Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Our sincerest apologies for your interrupted sleep. Indeed, our housekeeping staff begin their duties around 8:15am so that we can accommodate all our guest needs and fulfill our commitment for a 2:00pm check in. We regret we were not aware of your late evening and disturbed you against your wishes. We do hope you will still choose to stay with us again.
waldoboro, maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We had the good fortune to work with Dustin at this hotel. He was incredible...helping us with information that was right on target, arranging things for our needs at the hotel, friendly and just a great guy. The hotel was fine, but this service bumped it up for us. Thanks Dustin!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite.....really a big difference in the whole experience!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
goosealina, Manager at BEST WESTERN Durango Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
We will pass along your comments to Dustin. He is one among many of our superstars. Thank you for your business. We look forward to seeing you again.
Riverside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We visited Durango to ride the Durango Silverton Train and to visit Mesa Verde. The BW Durango was conveniently located to the train and was a reasonable drive to Mesa Verde.

The room was a very good size, neat clean ad well maintained.

There is a restaurant, Christina's Bar & Grill, on the property. Please see the review for that property.

The hotel is pricey, even for the Durango area, but we would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
goosealina, Owner at BEST WESTERN Durango Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for your valuable input. We know for certain that such details are so helpful to other travelers when choosing a lodging facility. We look forward to seeing you again and appreciate your time and efforts in submitting a review.
Huaraz, Peru
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

First of all, I booked this hotel because I needed to get some work done while visiting my sister. She has a crowded apartment and I would have slept on the couch, but I decided I would rather have a bed and a desk with internet to get work done. I was sorely mistaken. I thought for $135/night plus tax, I would have gotten internet that would have at least let me connect to gmail. I couldn't even connect to the basic HTML version of it! I couldn't load my work email, couldn't load basic websites to book air travel, and to top it off, the cell service was very spotty for me. After contacting the front desk about the issue, they had no clue what to do. The wireless network signal was very weak and even when connected, it was slower than 56K. Not once was any sort of other option was given to me, such as a cable to connect to the wall or a different location/room.

That was the worst part, but the ineptitude and overall bad demeanor of the front desk staff also didn't make it a welcome visit. When interacting with the front desk during my stay, I was not greeted with a smile or hello, and the staff seemed like they didn't want to be there. When checking in, the young man acted as if I was keeping him from something more interesting and just wanted to get me out of there. One night, I left my key in my room and went to the front desk to get some help about 11:00 pm. No one was there, and the front door had notes on it for late arrivals to call for check-in. The hotel advertised 24-hour service at the front desk, so this was very frustrating for me. I called and no one answered for about 5 minutes. I tried the door and it was unlocked, so I went in. No one was around the front desk, so I walked around the back and into all the office rooms to find someone. I couldn't find anyone anywhere. Luckily, someone else was trying to book a room that night and helped me find the night manager room, where the guy on duty was asleep on the couch watching the TV and couldn't hear the phone or us yelling for him. About 11:30 he was able to get me another key so I could get to my room.

There were so many things wrong with the layout of the room as well, such as the AC in the bathroom instead of the front of the unit. But I did have a good sleep, so the room wasn't that awful. Just for the price I paid for the room, I expected a lot more. There is a Holiday Inn and a Residence Inn down the road that I will stay in next time I visit my sister. I will not stay in this Best Western again, and I am leaving a review on Trip Advisor so the manager of the hotel has some idea of how his staff is not helping the rate he charges.

Room Tip: Choose one near the front desk. The ones in the back don't have heat/AC in the same room as the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
We are so very grateful for your valuable input and appreciate your assuring that we are aware of the issues you experienced. As you are aware, we have received your comments through our Best Western Survey department as well. We are disturbed, mostly by your customer services issues. As you can see by the plethora of other surveys, poor customer service is not our modus operandi. We take pride in our work as a team, and regret that someone let the team down. We have identified the individual involved and have already begun our coaching and counseling. In addition, we have many resolution options for the internet service and are disappointed that none of them were executed. We sincerely hope you do not choose to stay at either competitor in the future and hope you will return to the Best Western Durango Inn and Suites so you can experience our traditional service and charm.
Anytown, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here while stopping in Durango on our way to Mesa Verde. We really enjoyed the room- it was nice and clean, had a comfy bed, and everything worked properly (plenty of hot water, etc). Also, it was not too far from Mesa Verde- about an hour drive. There were some really chatty people in the parking lot one morning, which made it hard to sleep in. But, that's the only gripe. Breakfast was pleasant: make-your-own-waffle station, hot sausages, cereal, coffee, juice, milk, little muffins, apples and oranges. Just to be clear- this is about a mile from downtown Durango. The walk definitely is do-able if you have the time or inclination (there is a sidewalk most of the way), but otherwise plan to drive back and forth.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. We are grateful for your comments and look forward to seeing you again.

Been to BEST WESTERN Durango Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!