“Back after Two Years, what nice changes!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Rochester Hotel & Bar to your Saves list
Rochester Hotel & Bar
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   726 E 2nd Ave, Durango, CO 81301   |
Special Offer
Bed & a Bottle of Bubbly!
Ranked #5 of 15 Durango B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Grand Junction, Colorado
“Back after Two Years, what nice changes!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We decided to run with the motorbike down through Durango. When our daughter was in College the Rochester was a favorite place to stay. Been two years since we have stayed. They have made some nice changes, bar in a nice addition and the breakfast is still as great as it always was! A great time!

This place is motorbike Friendly!!!!

Room Tip: If you are staying a few days, get a suite in Leeland House...... you can cook food in the suites!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Merritt W, Manager at Rochester Hotel & Bar, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
We are so happy to hear you have enjoyed the updates we have done over the past two years! We look forward to seeing you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Rochester house when we were roadtripping trough the area on our honeymoon, in early June 2013. From my first interaction with the folks at the Rochester, everything was fantastic. I made the reservation online, and they called to confirm the details. When I spoke on the phone with Nancy, I mentioned we were considering checking out the Durango blues train, which was going on that weekend. A few minutes after the call, Nancy called me back to say she had (on her own accord) checked on tickets for the blues train with the folks at the depot, and advised me to get ticket soon, for one night rather than the other - since one night had already sold out. That kind of service continued when we arrived. All of the staff went out of their way to give us great recommendations and make us feel comfortable. Our room - with a complimentary split of honeymoon champagne - was so cool, and the breakfasts (different every day) were delicious top to bottom. It was a perfect place to stay for our honeymoon, and I would recommend the Rochester to anyone!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Merritt W, Manager at Rochester Hotel & Bar, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
We are all so happy you had such a wonderful honeymoon with us here in Durango! I have passed along your compliments to Nancy. Please come back and visit, we would be thrilled to have you as our guests again.
Trabuco Canyon, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

There was nominal interior historic space to view and that is why we chose this hotel. It was fairly pricey and the gourmet breakfast is odd, not good. Liked the granola. The sleeping room was comfortable, wonderful Jacuzzi tub and quiet. Nice touch how they have cruiser bicycles available for guests. Everyone was extremely gracious. Wish we had been there the following night to take in the evening entertainment in the grassy courtyard. Well placed in the downtown area so you can walk to everything. I liked it more than the Strater Hotel where we stayed last trip through. Can't say I would pay this again though. Parking in downtown Durango is a challenge even adjacent to the hotels.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your comments. We would love for you to return and experience our Wednesday night summer concert series. I do apologize for the limited parking issue. It is something that plagues all of the downtown businesses each and every summer. Please know we do our utmost to make sure all of our guests have a free place to park for their stay. Happy to hear you enjoyed our granola! It is a special house recipe. Have a wonderful rest of your summer.
Chevy Chase, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The Rochester Hotel is a lovely, historic Hotel with large, lovely rooms and furnishings, a side courtyard with a Bar & free music on some nights. The complimentary breakfast is delicious and the setting is relaxing and pleasant. There are cruiser bicycles available for guests. The Hotel is perfectly located in historic downtown.

Room Tip: Note: There isn't a swimming pool--but couldn't "erase" the rating. Those next to...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
It's true - we do not have a pool being a Bed & Breakfast, however if you return to Durango again the Animas River is a wonderful outdoor water experience. (If you want to be a true local you can go tubing.)

Thank you for your kind words. It makes us happy to hear our guests are happy.
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This Spring I spent a week in Durango on business and my hosts put me up at the Rochester Hotel. Having traveled throughout Colorado and having lived in 4 different and equally magnificent parts of the state, it is rare when the lodging experience stands out above all else as the plane taxis down the runway on the return leg. It has now been almost 5 weeks since I stayed there and with the many busy things happening in my life, the warmth and friendliness of the staff remains with me. I was impressed by the classiness of the facilities, the quiet-yet central location, the free rental of bicycles, music in the courtyard, free cookies and drinks throughout the day. Not to mention the nice touches in my suite (super books, great coffee, quality robe, flat screen, no nonsense access to wireless).
Kirk and his wonderful staff have done such a fine job--they are creating community and impacting people in a simple and positive way as they come visit Durango. Great job all of you! You and the Rochester Hotel are memorable.

Room Tip: Splurge and ask for the detached suite.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Wow, thank you for such a wonderful review! We do take pride in offering exceptional service and welcoming guests as friends and family. I see from your review that we are doing our job! Let us know if there is anything we can assist you with in the future.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

My wife and I very much enjoyed staying at the Rochester Hotel. It was quiet, comfortable, friendly and terrific for Durango. Walking by the Strater on a Saturday night, boy was I glad we were in the quiet Rochester. Great breakfast as part of the deal and the outside patio was a lovely place to hang out. Borrow a bike, ask for where to eat... excellent hotel. My only negative comment is that for the price they should have up to date LARGE size televisions and better quality blankets. I was disappointed to find that the blanket was 100% polyester and so not breathable. A touch better blanket and linens should be de rigeur in an expensive hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Merritt W, Manager at Rochester Hotel & Bar, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Leland House and Rochester Hotel. We are constantly upgrading our rooms so your feedback is welcomed with open arms. We hoped you enjoyed the rest of your vacation!
Broomfield, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I decided to stay at the Leland House for my Birthday in May and we had never been to Durango before. We had the cutest room and adored the historic appeal. The staff was delightful and super helpful. They accommodated my request for a gluten free breakfast, for free, and we got a free glass of champagne when we arrived! We were able to walk to nearby restaurants, bars, shops. The hotel also have a lovely gazebo, lawn area we hung out in too. We love the stay and would definitely go back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
It thrills us to know you had such a wonderful birthday while staying with us in Durango! Thank you for your kind words. If you ever see yourself back in this part of the world please stop by. (The courtyard is quite beautiful in the fall too!)

Been to Rochester Hotel & Bar? Share your experiences!