“Not a bad night considering” 3 of 5 stars

Days End Motel
2202 Main Avenue, Durango, CO 81301   |
Ranked #28 of 30 Hotels in Durango
Houston
“Not a bad night considering”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

This was probably the lowest end of hotels we used on our vacation. It had some issues, but also I seen some pluses. We arrived and the man at the desk was polite and friendly. We got a first floor room in the back of the property over looking their "creek". First impression: they need to clean the area up around the creek if they are using it as a selling point that they back up to a nice, quiet creek. Lots of trash, broken, wrapped up BBQ pit, and unsightly grass that needed weed wacker attention. Next going to go up to our room, the back door security lock at the access door was broke. Not a very secure thing to see first thing out of the gate. Walked inside to workers replacing carpet, now that was a plus, we seen the first of several upgrades at this point. Next walked the corridor to our room, workers present up and down the hall but it was only 4pm so no problem with that. We walk into our room and find it to be pleasantly redone. New carpet, new paint, a/c on and running, cool and comfortable. There was a fridge in the room which is a bonus to us, a family of 4 who needs to store drinks and snacks for the kids. My husband did find the window facing the back parking lot to be unlocked, this was a bit alarming, but he locked it, figuring the workman had left it unlocked. The workers knocked off from work around 6pm, then it was nice and quiet. All in all, not the Ritz, but a favorable stay considering some of the issues we noticed. Clean, friendly, quiet once the workman were gone and a good value for the money. Looks like the management has decided an upgrade was needed and they are doing the rooms and the hallways. We did not use the small pool in the front of the property, however, several families were using it and appeared to be having a great time. It looked clean. If I found myself thru here again, I would have to say for one night I would do it again. More than 1 night I would be looking for something a bit better than average.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Perfect cheap motel for a one night stand. Standard rooms.
No breakfast included, but we recommend you to stop at Jean-Pierre cafe and buy apricot croissants (they are delicious!)
Don't expect to jump in the pool, the pool is located along the main road.
You might ask for a quiet room in the back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dickinson, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Nice motel for the price. First night our a/c did'nt work. The next day they moved us to a much bigger and better room for the same rate. They had a big area for m/c parking protected from cars, which was nice. Housekeeping service was average. Kind of disappointing to have to pay for ice, but we survived. Convienent location to the FREE trolley system that runs all through town.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
West Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

This is a lot like Motel 6 used to be. Motel 6 used to charge 25-cents for television, but instead, Days End charges 25-cents for a bucket of ice.

We changed our plans not long after we arrived in Durango, and went to Days End around 4 PM. Our other accommodations were on the third floor and it looked a little dangerous to be dragging luggage up to the top. Fortunately, the Days End manager put us in a handicapped room. I'll call it handicapped, not wheelchair accessible. It had a real tub w/ grab bars, instead of the shower that's usually in the wheelchair accessible rooms. Even better, it was on the first floor, near the exit. No shampoo (pretty much like Motel 6 used to be), only a bar of soap and very thin towels. We also had a nice big round table near the window. Great for eating the tuna kits after our 19-block walk after our train ride.

We'd planned to stay in a bed and breakfast, so we had no breakfast fixings, and Days End only served lobby coffee after 7:30 am. No fancy coffee condiments, just good coffee. Fortunately, there was a Subway in the next block!

Comfortable beds. The only downside were the lamps w/ 40 watt light bulbs. Three lamps each with a 40 watt bulb aren't enough to light up a room. I mentioned this to the manager upon check out, and he said that decision was up to the owner. My husband could read from his Kindle Paperwhite, but I couldn't see my Kindle Touch at all. Our emergency flashlight got more use than normal.

If you're planning on the Durango transit, there are stops w/in a block of Day's End. But be sure they will be providing full service. No one told us ahead of time they planned to block off all the stops in the downtown area for the 4th of July. The transit office was closed, and route one had paper taped over it's schedule. We had walked 19 blocks before a shuttle drove up.

Room Tip: People over 40 may have trouble w/ the 40 watt light bulbs.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ventura, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My biggest pet peeve of all is being woke up by he maid at 8 a.m. while on vacation. If I wanted to be woke up at 8...I would place a wake up call. The air conditioning was asthmatic, and wheezed all night long. The room was just average, and the pool was nice, if you don't mind being along the side of a highway-like street. The only reason I didn't give it a poor rating was because the management was very nice and welcoming...too bad they can't train the maids not to wake up sleepy people and walk in uninvited....

Room Tip: The entire property is non-smoking, so if you smoke, you have to smoke in your car...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

On my way to Silt, Co stopped in Durango for the evening on the 3rd I had not made reservations and was afraid of no vacancy for the 4th holiday, but was amazed to find a several hotels with vacancy. I found a sign that read " Best Value in Town" at the Adobe Inn and was tempted to pay the $89.00, for a senior rate, but decided to look at another hotel, so glad that I drove up the street to the DAYS END, they are $59.00, have Hot Tub and Pool and free wifi - what a deal! The room is large, has 2 Queen beds large bathroom , closet and armoire. The hotel looks like it has undergone remodeling , it is clean and comfortable. I will definitely return to this place for future visits to Durango, this has been the best hotel I have stayed in during my last 4 visits here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I am generally not picky when it comes to where I stay, but this place has really gone downhill since I was last here. The place is a DUMP. The place is overpriced for the dirty room you get and my door didn't even have a lock. The police always seem to be coming and going here, and they charge just to receive ice. This place is such a dump that I ended up sleeping in my car.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Days End Motel? Share your experiences!