“Sushi in Durango!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
East by Southwest is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 151 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: Mexican, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: East College and 2nd Ave.
Description: A taste of the Far East in the heart of the Southwest. We create vibrant fusion cuisine rooted in the flavors of Japan & the Pacific Rim. We are proud to serve all organic meats & poultry, such as American Kobe, Kurobuta Pork, & Natural Black Angus Beef. At our sushi bar enjoy cutting edge sushi & sashimi made from the best quality seafood & fresh line caught fish from Hawaiian waters. Our menu offers many tantalizing small dishes. We encourage you to order a variety of them and share amongst your table.
Austin
“Sushi in Durango!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

My wife, college age daughter (very sushi savvy) and I dropped in EXSW last night. Place was 3/4 full at 7:30 pm and we were seated immediately. The menu is extensive and demands some attention. We ordered miso, Vampire roll (highlight), NYNY roll (also very tasty), shrimp tempura roll and chicken pad thai with a couple of glasses of saki. Ingredients were very fresh, and the pacing of the meal was perfect. Our waiter, Zach, couldn't have been more attentive, anticipating our needs without being overbearing.

EXSW had been recommended to us to try. It hit the sushi spot! All in all a great experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

San Diego, California
“There are better choices . . . take them.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

It is a lovely small town but we are foodies and come from a large city where there are dozens of choices in even one style of food choice. We wanted sushi (which we enjoy weekly back home) and we had a choice of 3 restaurants. We were walking down the street, looked at the menus of each as well as the atmosphere's and we chose this one because it was busy and looked interesting. The place is nice, exciting atmosphere when you walk in with a very busy 'feel'. The sushi bar looks good through its window, the fish looks fresh. The service was the most disappointing. It took quite a while for our server to get to us. It also became apparent that he was more interested in the party next to us (his girlfriend I believe and her parents) as he would sit down at their table every time he passed by (ignoring us on the way), kept kissing her on her head while they sat, kissed her on their way out and kept talking with them as we waited at times to inquire about service or food issues. We had questions about the food as 1) there was a typo on the menu and I didn't know what a specific ingredient was only to find out they spelled it wrong. We also wanted suggestions as the menu was pretty big. We did take some time to decide but a lot had to do with we couldn't get answers etc. Also another party came in at the end of our meal and sat behind us and he was very attentive to them as it seemed many of them were possible employees of the restaurant. He wasn't rude, he just seemed non interested in our business and didn't thank us when he dropped the bill but literally dropped it on the table as he flew by to the table behind. I am not sure if he even stopped to drop it or just dropped it as he continued walking past. When he picked it up to take it to the cashier he was very peppy in his 'thank you'. I found it odd as he ignored us most of the meal. He did fill our water glasses. It was extremely overpriced and not worth it in my opinion based on the amount of Asian restaurants we visit regularly. The next day we were at a well known local adventure spot and I asked for suggestions for dinner that night. One person named East by Southwest restaurant and I said 'no thanks' and they said, "Yeah, we didn't care for it either and it's really overpriced". These were locals who said that. The food was mixed, some average to good, the sushi unexceptional as the fish had a watery taste, not a great true fish flavor. I had a single roll that had several different types of sashimi inside and no rice for $19.00 without tax & tip (for 6 huge pieces I think but the fish was small pieces except for the salmon and tuna with the rest filled with vegetables) and I was told the sauce was what made it. Personally, good sushi or sashimi shouldnt use or need sauce. It also fell apart with each piece and there was no way to eat the large piece and enjoy the flavors. It was a big negative for me. My boyfriend had the roasted honey duck and a salad that he thought was pretty good for approx. $27.00 without tax or tip. I tried his duck and the flavor was good but my bite had a lot of fat. He enjoyed it. The salad was interesting and tasty. Lastly, when I went to the restroom, on the way I saw our waiter. I asked him if they did anything for anniversaries as we were celebrating our anniversary that night and I wanted to surprise my boyfriend with a little something special. The waiter looked at me and instead of saying something kind, positive or even special, he said, "No, we only do a small ice cream sundae for birthday's." Huh? If it were me, I would first say "HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!" and then I would try to do something special just to make the evening memorable for the table since they (or we) chose this restaurant to celebrate. He blew any extra tip above average right there but I was hoping he would prove me wrong and do something, even say, "Happy Anniversary" or something but . . . nothing. Very unhappy meal for me (but not the worst), it just wasn't great. The next night we went to a small hole in the wall sushi place with barely any tables and it was sooo much better and less expensive.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Rockford, Illinois
“Conflicted...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

Visited with my teenaged daughter for dinner on a Sunday night. The restaurant was busy but not overflowing-we didn't have to wait and we didn't have a reservation.. We had a hard time deciding on what to get, and our server was no help. Compared to the tables around us, our service was slow and careless. For example, our water glasses were not refilled until we asked, and we had to flag down our server any time we needed something, even the check when it was clear we were long finished with our meal and dessert.
Even so, the food was very good. We chose a few small plates, some familiar, some new and thoroughly enjoyed each and every one. When we're back in Durango we'll try this place again and keep our fingers crossed that we get better service.

Visited July 2014
Santa Rosa, California
“Excellent Asian Cuisine in a Lovely Setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch at this restaurant. The lunch menu is innovative and interesting with so many choices it's hard to decide what to order. The wait staff is very pleasant. The only negative was the off-handed way we were shown to our table by the lunch staff manager--she was actually rather rude. That being said, we highly recommend this restaurant for a delicious meal.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I live in Durango and this is one of my favorite restaurants in town! Food is delicious with an extensive menu. If you're lucky enough to get Oso as your server you'll get someone who takes great care of you. He is attentive, friendly, and is incredibly knowledgeable about the menu. He always recommends something new and delicious when I I decide to branch out from my favorites, such great service!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food