“Happy hour was great” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
East by Southwest is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 161 restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: East College and 2nd Ave.
Description: A taste of the Far East in the heart of the Southwest. We create vibrant fusion cuisine rooted in the flavors of Japan & the Pacific Rim. We are proud to serve all organic meats & poultry, such as American Kobe, Kurobuta Pork, & Natural Black Angus Beef. At our sushi bar enjoy cutting edge sushi & sashimi made from the best quality seafood & fresh line caught fish from Hawaiian waters. Our menu offers many tantalizing small dishes. We encourage you to order a variety of them and share amongst your table.
Cruso, North Carolina, United States
“Happy hour was great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We don't usually have sushi 1000 miles from the coast but we'd heard great things about East by SW and decided "happy hour" was a good time to try it. We were, indeed, happy with the appetizers and prices. The blackened albacore sashimi was great, as good as I've had (including in Japan). The NYNY sushi roll was very tasty and a generous portion. The sake was very good and inexpensive. We were a bit disappointed in the beef. The service was fine although our waitress did make a mistake on our check.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

79% Recommend
Durango, Colorado
“Imaginative Cuisine and Menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

We went in for Presidents Weekend with a large mixed group. My husband ate an incredible filet cooked to perfection, I had a wonderful Ramen soup, my grandsons ate chicken teriyaki nuggets that were great (awesome kid menu with NO chicken fingers or hamburgers), and my daughter and son-in-law had amazing sushi dishes. The food came out at different times but our server told us when we ordered that it would. The fish dishes were beautiful works of art and we did not want to eat them. We took some picture to remember them by. Overall, this was a great place for a mixed group like ours. Everyone found something that they liked. A "must visit place" for sure.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Elk River, Minnesota
“Great Sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I was pleasantly surprised to the value and quality of Sushi here. It was very good and prepared wonderfully. Generous portions and a great value.

Remember Sushi isn't low priced, but this is average priced and the quality and portions were plenty.

Visited February 2014
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Rude service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

I ordered a scotch the waiter suggested Glenlivet. When I reviewed my bill I was shocked to see I was charged $18 for the drink. I approached the waiter asking why I was served an 18 year old scotch with out him letting me know. His response was," you ordered it, you drank it, you enjoyed it didn't you?' My response was, "I was not made aware that I was ordering an 18 year old scotch." The waiter repeated his statements in a very rude manner. I left not tip and the following day I sent and e-mail to the company bringing the situation to their attention. I never got a response. The service was poor and the resolution even worse!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Topsushichef, Owner at East by Southwest, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Regarding your experience at EXSW. I apologize the servers response to you was direct . We do train our servers in to offer suggestive selling in order to improve our guests experience through premium products and brands, we do not however promote any misleading sales. We have used this incident as a training opportunity for the staff and to direct their suggestive selling to improve service and the quality of the food & beverage experience. Regarding resolution please know that I personally handle all customer concerns and these issues are directed to my personal e mail , I did contact you immediately upon reading the post through our web site. I enjoyed the opportunity to speak with you personally, and offer you resolution , We look forward to serving you again as you use the gift certificate we sent.
Chef?Owner Sergio Alfonso Verduzco
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Horrible and Disrespectful Service!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

We had friends in town last week and took them to Golden Triangle and East By Southwest, we were completely ignored by the staff until we decided to walk out and go eat at a restaurant that appreciated our business. There were empty seats and no one showed us to them or apologized for the wait or even had the common decency to let us know they would be right with us. If they can not handle the business maybe they should downsize or hire some other employees that care about the customers. Also disappointed to see that several of the long standing dishes are no longer on the menu. For the high prices they charge, I would think that customer service would be a top priority. We stared at the bartender for almost 15 min without even a simple hello. Will NEVER go back!!! There are plenty of other restaurants that believe in customer service!!!!!

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Topsushichef, Owner at East by Southwest, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
We apologize for your recent experience at East by Southwest. I assure you that customer service is one of our top priorities. We are using your experience as a training topic in our opening shift meeting so we improve the quality of our service .
Thank you for your feedback.
Sergio a Verduzco