“Great sushi terrible service” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
East by Southwest is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 160 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: East College and 2nd Ave.
Description: A taste of the Far East in the heart of the Southwest. We create vibrant fusion cuisine rooted in the flavors of Japan & the Pacific Rim. We are proud to serve all organic meats & poultry, such as American Kobe, Kurobuta Pork, & Natural Black Angus Beef. At our sushi bar enjoy cutting edge sushi & sashimi made from the best quality seafood & fresh line caught fish from Hawaiian waters. Our menu offers many tantalizing small dishes. We encourage you to order a variety of them and share amongst your table.
Durango, Colorado
“Great sushi terrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I've written a prior review but have to re-post given our recent experience. One member of our party was served and the remaining two orders did not arrive. After 45 minutes, and after our waitress attempted to serve us another tables sushi roll, we had to get up and find someone to ask about our missing orders. We were told "it will be right out". After 15 more minutes we got up again, and were told "the kitchen is just really busy". The restaurant was about 1/4 full. When we were finally served (just after deciding to leave) we were also given our tab - with no accommodation or apology for the hour delay. The food is good, but $50 for lunch demands a reasonable level of service. You are better off with sushitarian or rice monkey for sushi or Thai in Durango until east by southwest gets its act back together. Sad to post a negative review, this was formerly our favorite place in town.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

79% Recommend
“NY NY roll was really good... Service was below average.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I get to go here about twice a year. It's very expensive but the food is usually great quality. I had a NY NY roll that was excellent and a Thai spicy roll that was good quality, just not my favorite taste. Service was below average although friendly.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Durango, Colorado
“Overpriced, small portions, and poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

On 08-15-13 my wife and I went here to celebrate and occassion. This was our second time together at the restaurant. We were seated quickly and the restaurant was busy. Our waitress came to our table and didn't introduce herself, or tell us about any specials. She asked what we wanted to drink and we ordered water, which she seemed annoyed by. Our waitress came back a while later and asked us what we wanted to order without asking if we had any questions about the menu, which we did. We ordered the Duck Spring Rolls (comes with two) to start and it was extremely greasy. We then had to wait a very long time until the waitress came back and took our order again. She served two other tables that came after us and they received their food (and alcoholic drinks) before us. The waitress seemed to be much more attentive to the two other tables near us and would consistently go back to their tables and walk by ours. The waitress was also much more friendly and outgoing to these other two tables. When we did order something off of the menu, she didn't know what I had ordered and asked me to show her on the menu. The waitress said the chefs change the menu all of the time and change the names of dishes. I ordered an entree -- Kobe top sirloin with asparugus and shiitake mushrooms. My wife ordered a salmon skin hand roll and the east by southwest roll. The portion size of my meal was similar to a Tapas style dish, not an entree. it only came withe one small shittake mushroom and three pieces of aspargus (it was $25). After we finished what we had ordered, I was still starving. Our waitress continued to wait on the other tables, continuing to take drink and food orders, while my wife and I sat at the table waiting for her to come back. When she came back, she only asked if we were going to eat dessert or not. I asked for the menu again because I wanted to order more food because I was still hungry. I ended up ordering the Salmon and Lemon roll. The roll had extremely thin sliced salmon and the roll was mostly just rice. Each piece would completely fall apart. The lemon slices were larger then atop of the salmon. At the end of the meal, it totaled to $80 and my wife and I were still hungry and felt like the meal wasn't worth what we were going to pay for the food and service. We will not be going back to East By Southwest.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Conifer, Colorado
“Just Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Not really sure why East by Southwest is ranked 27th? Everytime that I've been there the food was great and the service is good. This really is one of my Fav. places to eat at when I'm passing through the area.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Unfortunately the service is lacking during our last dinning experience at east by SW. Our food wast brought out at the same time as we had requested and the waitress hurried us and dropped the bill without asking if we would like anything else. Don't dine any time near end of lunch. Drinks were amazing as always!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere