“Overpriced, small portions, and poor service”
Review of East by Southwest

Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: East College and 2nd Ave.
Description: A taste of the Far East in the heart of the Southwest. We create vibrant fusion cuisine rooted in the flavors of Japan & the Pacific Rim. We are proud to serve all organic meats & poultry, such as American Kobe, Kurobuta Pork, & Natural Black Angus Beef. At our sushi bar enjoy cutting edge sushi & sashimi made from the best quality seafood & fresh line caught fish from Hawaiian waters. Our menu offers many tantalizing small dishes. We encourage you to order a variety of them and share amongst your table.
Reserve with OpenTable
Update
The time you selected has already passed.

78% Recommend
There are newer reviews for East by Southwest
Durango, Colorado
“Overpriced, small portions, and poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

On 08-15-13 my wife and I went here to celebrate and occassion. This was our second time together at the restaurant. We were seated quickly and the restaurant was busy. Our waitress came to our table and didn't introduce herself, or tell us about any specials. She asked what we wanted to drink and we ordered water, which she seemed annoyed by. Our waitress came back a while later and asked us what we wanted to order without asking if we had any questions about the menu, which we did. We ordered the Duck Spring Rolls (comes with two) to start and it was extremely greasy. We then had to wait a very long time until the waitress came back and took our order again. She served two other tables that came after us and they received their food (and alcoholic drinks) before us. The waitress seemed to be much more attentive to the two other tables near us and would consistently go back to their tables and walk by ours. The waitress was also much more friendly and outgoing to these other two tables. When we did order something off of the menu, she didn't know what I had ordered and asked me to show her on the menu. The waitress said the chefs change the menu all of the time and change the names of dishes. I ordered an entree -- Kobe top sirloin with asparugus and shiitake mushrooms. My wife ordered a salmon skin hand roll and the east by southwest roll. The portion size of my meal was similar to a Tapas style dish, not an entree. it only came withe one small shittake mushroom and three pieces of aspargus (it was $25). After we finished what we had ordered, I was still starving. Our waitress continued to wait on the other tables, continuing to take drink and food orders, while my wife and I sat at the table waiting for her to come back. When she came back, she only asked if we were going to eat dessert or not. I asked for the menu again because I wanted to order more food because I was still hungry. I ended up ordering the Salmon and Lemon roll. The roll had extremely thin sliced salmon and the roll was mostly just rice. Each piece would completely fall apart. The lemon slices were larger then atop of the salmon. At the end of the meal, it totaled to $80 and my wife and I were still hungry and felt like the meal wasn't worth what we were going to pay for the food and service. We will not be going back to East By Southwest.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Conifer, Colorado
“Just Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Not really sure why East by Southwest is ranked 27th? Everytime that I've been there the food was great and the service is good. This really is one of my Fav. places to eat at when I'm passing through the area.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Durango, Colorado
“Poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Unfortunately the service is lacking during our last dinning experience at east by SW. Our food wast brought out at the same time as we had requested and the waitress hurried us and dropped the bill without asking if we would like anything else. Don't dine any time near end of lunch. Drinks were amazing as always!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago
“Terrible service, overpriced for what you get”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We were the only people at the sushi bar but had to place our order with an incompetent server rather than directly with the suchi chef. It had been a long day of fun for us & our 2 kids (8 & 10), everyone was hungry & the waiter hardly checked on us. Drinks were slow, we finally asked the sushi chef to let us order directly from him, & when it was time to pay, the waiter took our credit card, then stopped by another customer to explain the menu, describe the rolls & take his order. We finally got up & stood by the door, waiting for our receipt & card to be returned. Food was ok, but $14 for only 3 pieces of sashimi is over the top. We will not return.

Visited July 2013
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Really Good Sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

East by Southwest had been recommended to me by locals for a long time. On a recent trip to Durango, I finally gave it a try. The sushi was very good. I highly recommend the NY NY, the Philly Roll and the famous east by southwest roll. The peach mojitos were also enjoyed. The decor is very nice and the service was good. We ordered too much food for 3 people, but managed to eat most of it. 4 large rolls, 3 alcoholic drinks, and the calamari appetizer, ( delicious and a generous portion) came to $74.00. Next time we would forgo the appetizer and order 3 rolls rather than 4. The meal was a delicious and enjoyable experience.

• Visited July 2013