“Really Good Sushi” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
East by Southwest is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 159 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: East College and 2nd Ave.
Description: A taste of the Far East in the heart of the Southwest. We create vibrant fusion cuisine rooted in the flavors of Japan & the Pacific Rim. We are proud to serve all organic meats & poultry, such as American Kobe, Kurobuta Pork, & Natural Black Angus Beef. At our sushi bar enjoy cutting edge sushi & sashimi made from the best quality seafood & fresh line caught fish from Hawaiian waters. Our menu offers many tantalizing small dishes. We encourage you to order a variety of them and share amongst your table.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Really Good Sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

East by Southwest had been recommended to me by locals for a long time. On a recent trip to Durango, I finally gave it a try. The sushi was very good. I highly recommend the NY NY, the Philly Roll and the famous east by southwest roll. The peach mojitos were also enjoyed. The decor is very nice and the service was good. We ordered too much food for 3 people, but managed to eat most of it. 4 large rolls, 3 alcoholic drinks, and the calamari appetizer, ( delicious and a generous portion) came to $74.00. Next time we would forgo the appetizer and order 3 rolls rather than 4. The meal was a delicious and enjoyable experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Dallas, Texas
“No East by Southwest”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I’ll start his review by saying I’m a sashimi/sushi snob… we won’t get into my ethnicity…

We walked around Durango and, upon finding that Sushitarian was closed on a Monday evening, decided to stop at East by Southwest based on reviews we’d read. We entered and I instantly smelled something interesting… later we figured out that the restaurant is connected to the Indian place next door. I still don’t know what that smell was (yes, I like Indian food).

We sat at the sushi bar where the sushi “chefs” said nothing and ordered beer & sake. A complimentary cucumber and seaweed salad was placed before us by one of the guys behind the counter. To our waiter we ordered the sashimi & roll set comprised of 2 pieces each of tuna, salmon, yellow tail & California or spicy tuna roll (we opted for spicy tuna) and gyoza (or pan fried dumplings – pronounced “gee-o-za”… our waiter called it “guy-o-za”).

The yellow tail & salmon tasted okay – a bit lemony as they rested on lemon slices. The spicy tuna roll was a bit “off” – until I tasted the generous slice of tuna, I didn’t realize that it was because the tuna wasn’t quite fresh. Looking at the fish behind the glass, I saw dull octopus (at a sushi bar, dull=bad). We left part of the roll & effectively one of the two slices of tuna. I asked the guy behind the counter if the ikura (salmon eggs) were “washed” in sake or if they were “pure” and was assured they were pure… if, they were, there was something wrong, I sent them back.

As if that wasn’t enough for us to leave & never come back, one of the guys from behind the sushi bar sat at the sushi bar with a bowl of udon or ramen (we guessed he got off work) and started talking with the guys still working. Then, who I guess was a manager or owner, brought beer over for the sushi workers to drink (along with the guys sitting at the sushi bar next to us) as we waited for our check.

Afterwards I texted one of our friends who have a place in Durango – they said they have never been impressed with East by Southwest either. Note to self for next trip… no East by Southwest.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Great sushi and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Traveled from El Paso, TX and discovered a great sushi restaurant in Durango, Co. Super menu, lots of variety, and great service. We eat there on Sunday so it wasn't very crowded. Highly recommended.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
“YUM!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We had an excellent meal here. Somewhat pricey but a great selection of asian/ american dishes. Everything was fresh and delish. We will definitely keep this restaurant on our list every time we visit Durango. Doesn't look great from the outside but nice decor inside. An enjoyable experience!

Visited June 2013
San Diego, California
“Maybe best Sushi in the Western US”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We live in San Diego, travel extensively, "foodies", who eat sushi regularly. This place is "exceptional".
Some reasons:
Large cold Saki list with some very reasonable priced bottles from Oregon!!!
Fish offerings I have never seen elsewhere: Belly (Toro) Salmon.. melts in your mouth, and Amberjack
Beautiful, plate presentations,
Very knowledgeable servers, with energy..the place mums and it's nicely decorated

PS: Must order "Hand Greneade" and maybe more than one!! Skimp and scallop!!
PPS: Little more expensive than "regular" Sushi joint but worth every penny