“One of our "go to" restaurants with guests.” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mahogany Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 151 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Romantic, Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 7th Street
Transit: There is a trolley that has frequent stops throughout the Durango downtown area. www.durangotransit.com or 970.259.5538
Description: Mahogany Grille is your place to enjoy handcrafted cuisine while stepping back into time. We offer the ambiance of the Victorian Old West as we serve you an array of eclectic culinary specialties. It’s the blending of the simple with the ornate—of the old with the new. We invite you to view our menu selections where you’ll find a diverse array of faire. So whether you’re looking for a quick bite to eat, a relaxing night out, or to celebrate a special occasion, Mahogany Grille is a premiere Durango restaurant where you can create your own majestic memories.When preparing the Mahogany Grille menu, our award-winning staff gives special focus to farm-fresh recipes that represent new styles with old west flavors. We hand-cut our steaks in our butcher shop, carefully select our foods, and incorporate products by local growers when available creating a mosaic of tastes and textures. This detailed attention to our region is a reflection of our commitment to the great Southwest and its history, exceptional quality, and pleasing our community and visitors.We take pride in being well-versed in fine wine and spirits. Enjoy recommendations from our in-house Sommelier or be visually stimulated by our artisan cocktails. Complimented with our aromatic food, our wines and spirits make quite a delicious impression. One we believe will give you a unique experience that will delight your senses and keep you coming back for more.
Durango, Colorado
“One of our "go to" restaurants with guests.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Food is always good here. Since the change in chefs, haven't been disappointed. We particularly like the chateaubriaund and bananas foster. If crowded, a table in the back is usually a good idea.

Visited February 2014

Midland, Canada
“This Grille is not worth eating at.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

We decided to try out the Strater restaurant and went to the Mahogany Grille for dinner - When we arrived the dining room was almost empty.
Here is the Mahogany Grille's self description:
“Mahogany Grille specializes in the art of steak and seafood, and offers a vegan and vegetarian menu. Enjoy handcrafted cuisine while stepping back in time. Experience the ambiance of the Victorian Old West as we serve you an array of eclectic culinary specialties”

Be forewarned - Durango is EXPENSIVE- Also take into mind in the winter that Restaurants close at 9 p.m.! I looked at the menu as was surprised at the pricing- Yet I took in mind that it was attached to the Strater Hotel I understood that these types of restaurants are more costly.
We started with Pomegranate Crab Cakes- They were well presented and looked inviting.
Jumbo Lump Crab, Frisee, Roasted Corn Coulis. The 2 crab cakes were flavourful and hot - the pieces of crab were not consistent with lump crab meat. The corn was right out of the fridge and there was not enough sauce on the plate. This was the one item that was well executed.

As for Entrees - the prices were startling I ordered Entrees
$24.00 for Potato Crusted Chicken Breast;
Port salut and prosciutto stuffed chicken breast, rainbow chard, roasted red pepper coulis, basil reggiano cream.-Prior to ordering I asked if the dish came with starch or vegetables - the server said yes red peppers - when the plate arrived it was a teaspoon of red pepper coulis, no vegetables and the starch was the burnt hash browns that coated the chicken. I sent mine back- it was cold and yet burnt. I did not get it replaced.
On the positive side - the manager removed it from the bill. He explained the culinary misstep The kitchen was worried the chicken was not cooked and left the chard on the plate and re- dropped the chicken in oil. By the end of his description my appetite had vanished.
I tried the house wines - chardonnay and Cabernet and neither were worth the price tag. The pour was too small for the $10.00 they charged me per glass. Alcohol is cheap in The United States and lots of places offer half price wine.
My dinner companion ordered Gold Canyon Pork Porterhouse:
Butternut squash risotto, grilled escarole, sundried apricot gastrique, Black Mission fig butter. $24.00. The Risotto was undercooked and apricots should never make their way into this dish- Another example of the constant liberties ‘Chef’s “ take that result in disaster. The grilled escarole was a good concept but was cold and dry. The pork chop was unevenly butchered which impacted both the texture and the flavour. There was no suggestion of dessert or coffee. I was grateful I was spared. I felt rushed as the wait staff was busy cleaning the dining room- a sure sign to hurry up and pay the check.
All in all the meal was an "eclectic"expensive disaster.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Surprisingly good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Why our party of vegetarians and non-red-meat-eaters chose this restaurant I'll never know but I'm glad we did. Outstanding food. The soup was creative and delicious, the crab appetizer would make a fine main course for a light eater and the prawns were memorable. The menu features steaks and game but does offer several vegetarian options. Our wait staff was attentive without being intrusive. The decor is true to the spirit of Durango. The patrons who were seated before us came in just for the Bananas Foster so even though our group didn't try dessert, it might be worth giving that a try.

Durango
“Slow service, not the best place in town by a long shot”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We eat out often, and because we have some very old parents, they usually like something s bit more elegant such as the Palace Restaurant. Well the Palace was closed tonight so we went to the Mahogany Grill. We were seated promptly but it took forever to see a server. We had a party of seven and were seated in 2 booths across from each other which was not optimal. The hosts advised us that there were no more tables available. There must have been 10 empty large tables...whatever.
I ordered bread immediately. My kids were famished and so was I. I had to order it 3 times before the server brought it out with some oil and vinegar, and purple mustard. No butter. I had to repeatedly ask for butter as well.
The food took 35 minutes plus to arrive. I had the pepper steak which was not very peppery. But it was exceptionally delicious. One the food finally arrived it was all very good with a beautiful presentation. All in all I would say that for the price tier at the Mahogany Grill, the service should be top notch, which it definitely wasn't. But it is also very possible that we were there in an off night. This is the first time I've not had an exceptional experience. I hope the next time I done there the service is as good as the food.

San Diego, CA
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

My wife and I decided to stop here during our short stay in Durango. We did not have reservations but were seated right away anyway. The waiter was a very nice young man that have us a run down on the specials and quickly returned with our awesome Colorado wines. I had the special table side steak and my wife had the Salmon. I can't even begin to describe how wonderful the meal was. Both of use finished out entire plates including the sautéed spinach which I usually can't stand. I would go back to the Mahogany Grill ever night if I could. I highly recommend this place. As for the other reviewer with a 1-star review, I can only ask if you asked for the manager before posting such a review. You should give them a chance to fix a problem before complaining about it. The place was indeed packed and I'm bummed you didn't have the same experience we did.