“Pleasant Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 30 hotels in Durango
Grand Junction, CO
“Pleasant Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Spanish Trails on the way to Santa Fe, NM on July 17th. After reading some of the reviews one would think you would contract hepatitis upon entering your room, so we were pleasantly surprised when we found a clean, comfortable, and large room that was not like what the negative reviews had suggested we would find. The room shows its age, but it was not dirty or sketchy. The desk clerk in both the evening and morning were also very pleasant and helpful. The only complaints are that our room was above the lobby and faced the street, which on a Friday night was rather busy and noisy, there was no soap or shampoo provided, and the room took a long time to cool down because of the small window unit air conditioner located on the opposite side of the room by the bathroom. For the price ($65) in Durango in the peak of summer season, I would certainly stay there again and recommend it to anyone looking for decent budget accommodations instead of a ridiculously priced "name brand" hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Boulder
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

I had a great experience at the Spanish Trails. I was able to book a room at a great rate during the peak of summer. It was clean, quiet, and in a great location. Yes, the hotel is older, but very clean.

The staff was very helpful and gave me great tips as far as fun things to do while I in town.

I love to support locally owned businesses like the Spanish Trails, which gave me great quality for a minimal expense.

Hope you enjoy!

• Liked — I loved the location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed August 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
geopak
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

It really was July of 2002. Perhaps the management has changed.
I was traveling with a group of 3 motorcycles. We had no complaints.
The room was clean and fine. I was allowed to park the motorcycle in the carport. I had agreed to $60 a night for 3 nights. Reserved the room with a Discover Card. On arriving I noticed they were advertising a $50 a night rate. I inquired, they lowered the rate to $50 without a squeek.
The help was friendly and helpful.
The clothes washers and driers worked fine.
Walk to the curb and take the bus to town. How convient.

Sorry, some folks have had a bad experience lately.
I would have planned to use the motel again, now I am not so sure.

Stayed July 2004
New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2007

Wow! Where do I begin after the experiences of the other two reviewers. I must be crazy, as I stayed two nights at this motel in September 2006! The price was right, $39 for a king-sized bed, but all Durango motels fluctuate wildly from week to week depending on what activity is going on in town at the time of your visit. Check the schedule for events before visiting Durango.
I found my room to be reasonably clean, including the sheets. Ditto the bathroom. This was once one of Durango's best motels (I know, I stayed here with my family in the 60's and 70's!) It draws customers because of it's relatively low prices compared to the newer variety. I agree the desk people were of a "take it or leave it" attitude, but I only went in twice, to get the room, and leaving my key. Some rooms are newer than others also, so maybe the other two had samples of the oldest section, although that doesn't excuse filth certainly. My two day impression of my room was perhaps a C- grade. Microwave, refrigerator included. Grocery right across the street, and the little city tram/bus stops right in front to ride to downtown to avoid the parking insanity. (The only comparable place I've experienced was downtown Santa Fe!) I'd planned to stay here again this summer, but now I don't know. Caveat emptor! Check your room out first before paying for it! Another of life's roll of the dice! LOL! Also, I think the policy of "if you used it" applies across the board in motels. I once used the toilet, before discovering my bolted on TV didn't work properly. I asked for another room, but since they would (they claimed) now have to have the maid return to clean the toilet, I'd still have to pay for the first room! I kept the room and the quasi-operating TV. I could have lied about using anything, but unfortunately, I'm an honest individual...and also didn't think that fast! :-)

• Liked — Good location, out of the downtown area's traffic mess
  • Disliked — It's starting to show its age.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
san clemente ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2006

I was passing through town and need a place to stay. this place is a real [--]. I ended up using the nasty shower to get questionably clean, and then slept in the back of my nice clean van. If you like clean happy ammenities, avoid this place at all costs. You could probably catch a disease sleeping in this place.

• Liked — near freeway
  • Disliked — the filth
  • Tips/Secrets — stay away at all costs
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Spanish Trails Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!