“Cheap and serviceable” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 30 Hotels in Durango
London
“Cheap and serviceable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Some of the previous reviewers are delicate flowers who probably should never leave home. I stayed here on my own and all was well. Noone tried to break into my room or my brand new car or kidnap me and sell me into the white slave trade. The desk clerk was friendly, the room was clean and comfortable and it was 40 bucks which is damn good value for Durango.

Room Tip: It's. Not the Ritz. It doesn't pretend to be.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

This was a very gross hotel from first glance. It was obviously a very busy hotel by the looks of the parking lot. Gave this hotel a chance while I was traveling through for Christmas. The hotel room itself was very dirty and very dated. The floor heating system did not work, there was mold in the bathroom, the bath tub was not cleaned. The front staff was not friendly at all. It was a very scary hotel to be at during the 3 day stay I was there. The cops had showed up twice during my three day stay where individuals had gotten arrested. Somebody who was staying next to mr stated there was an issue with crime at the hotel. I travel through Durango when I am coming or going for school and I will not recommended this hotel to anyone or stay again.

• Stayed December 2013
southwestmama55, General Manager at Spanish Trails Inn and Suites, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Durango is a tourist town and a college town and therefore all hotels in town have issues with
crazy patrons. Sorry that this customer wasn't happy with his stay. Most realize that for the price they are not going to get the Ritz. We are constantly updating and perhaps this patron was in one
of the few rooms not yet attended to - wintertime is our remodel/update time as we are always booked in the summer. Our hotel is not any more police-patroled than any of the others which goes back to being a college town and tourist area. People are here to relax and sometimes get a little
crazy. So sorry this patron felt unsafe.
Flagstaff, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

This place was only $40 a night so I didn't expect much. The room was the worst smelling room I've ever been in. It was obviously smoked in... For years. Bedding was burnt and stained so I'm glad I had my own sleeping bag which is still being washed. Spend a few $ more and have a good night somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2013
southwestmama55, Manager at Spanish Trails Inn and Suites, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
This guest booked himself into a smoking room so I can't understand his complaint about the room smelling like smoke. If he did not wish to have a smoking room, we had many other non-smoking accomodations available. I am sorry he felt that our accomodations were not up to his standards.
We strive to serve those on a very tight budget and our ammenities reflect this. We do our best to make sure everyone is happy with their stay and if this guest had spoken with our staff, those
issues would have been addressed. I assume he has stayed at EVERY other hotel in the United States since he has determined that ours is the very worst in the United States. Hard to believe
that is the case.
Southwest Harbor, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

My fiance and I arrived in Durango late at night and were just looking for a cheap place to rest our heads after a 40hr journey across the country. The price was very reasonable and the first night was not that bad, relatively quiet and we just needed to sleep. After the first night being ok, we decided to stay for a couple more nights while we were searching for an apartment to move in to. The longer we stayed, the worse things got. Like the reviewer below- there was a couple that we needed to tell the front desk about because of domestic abuse. It was awful and we felt very unsafe. Unfortunely, the front desk only told the couple that was fighting that they either needed to quiet down or they would be kicked out. As the night went on- the couple brought back a bunch of extremely intoxicated people who stayed up and partied all night. The cost was the only good thing about this place- it's very unfortunate because it could be a great spot for budget travelers.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bishop, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

We stayed here for the cost and for far less, this place still wouldn't be worth it. Its grimy and the copious amount of meth heads in the place, both staying and working at the establishment make it the sleaziest place in Durango.

We wanted a non-smoking room and it reeked of smoke anyways. The police were called a couple times due to domestic disputes and drug use. Overall, I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

Just terrible.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

This place is good for ski bums and biker gangs only. It looks like the kind of place you would have a kegger. The beds "looked" clean but it didn't feel clean. Neither my fiancé or myself slept well at all. The lighting was not that good. The free WiFi didn't work. Very much a no frills kind of place. I would no recommend this to anybody.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed in the hotel two times in 2013. At first, we were hesitant, seeing some negative reviews, but were attracted by the price. We were so glad we decided to give it a try! The place is just a standard well-maintained motel, no luxuries here, but: you cannot beat the price; it is just 7 min away from downtown on a FREE trolley and the stop is next to the hotel; and there is an excellent food+drug store across the street. In addition, the stuff was very friendly and happy to accommodate any requests of ours. Will stay there again next time we are in town.

Room Tip: May be a little noisy if the room is close to the street.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Spanish Trails Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!