“What Do You Expect For The Price?” 2 of 5 stars

Spanish Trails Inn and Suites
3141 Main Ave., Durango, CO   |
Ranked #27 of 30 hotels in Durango
Baltimore, Maryland
“What Do You Expect For The Price?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

My wife and daughter were traveling through the area and had to take what was available. This place was cheap and you get what you pay for.

It had a toilet (as opposed to an outhouse, if any of you remember what that was), hot and cold water, a TV, and lights.

Not much more can be said.

Room Tip: Only if you have to.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Theory desk clerk was helpful. First room was too noisy and too busy with long term tena.nts. I was moved to a nicer much quieter room. The front window was nearly falling out. No security whatsoever here was scary. Hot water was very slow. Heat was not good. I would not recommend this motel to anyone. It is large has many rooms some with long term tenants. This motel needs a complete makeover remodel improvements. It is old dirty not well maintained. Nice location across from city market. This place is very busy people all around dogs around. Noisy from highway 550 all day.

• Stayed March 2013
The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

If you are on a budget, or sometimes just don't care where you sleep: this is your choice. We were on our way through and ended up in Durango. Checked various hotels on the Main Ave. and decided to go for this one.

The 6 other hotels we asked were all $120/150 for a double queen, and with $59 this room was a bargain.

And yes, the stairs are rusty, the rooms are outdated and the hotel needs a make-over. But it is not as bad as some reviews say.

City Market and lots of shops/restaurants are within walking distance. WiFi worked OK. Good value for the price.

• Stayed September 2012
Bisbee, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

This motel is a combination of a number of motels put together to make up the Spanish Trails Inn. This property aims for the low price only traveler in a town like Durango where rooms run a little pricey because tourism is their economy. The rooms were dark, tired, and in dyer need of help. This motel offers nothing other than a secure place to lay your head to save you $20.00 a night from other rooms around the neighborhood. I'd check around before settling on this place. At least it isn't scary.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
southwestmama55, Manager at Spanish Trails Inn and Suites, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Spanish Trails does not pretend to be a chain hotel with fancy amenities. We offer clean rooms
for a budget price. Our rates are usually at least 50% of what the well-known chain hotels are offering.
Most of our guests realize this when they check other rates and are very happy to spend less on their hotel so they can spend their vacation money on doing the fun things Durango has
to offer them.
Wichita Falls, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

With tax we were charged over $86 for our room and it was pretty awful. I had booked over the phone based on some positive reviews I saw on this place and I really wished I hadn't made reservations there. When I checked in the the man at the desk did not act overly glad to see me/a guest walk in. He did offer to let me see the room and I should have turned it down and looked elsewhere for a room, but we were in town on medical stuff & I was simply too exhausted to go find another place. I asked the desk clerk if they had a problem with break-ins and crime and he said no break-ins, but some crime...when I pressed him about the crimes he said mostly just drunks on the property. So, the room was old and dingy, didn't have a phone or a coffee maker (even though I was specifically told on the phone that the rooms had coffee makers). Before we left in the morning I asked the lady at the desk about the coffee makers and she said they have never had them (which means the person I rsvp'd with lied to me) It cost 25 cents for ice, but the ice machine looked pretty "iffy" and not too clean, so we didn't try it out. The inn is situated on a very busy/loud intersection. The grounds are semi-groomed with cigarette butts thrown in all the planters. It looked like what used to be a pool or jacuzzi had been filled in wit cement and painter red. When I went out to my car in the morning the hood had ashes all over it from the people upstairs sitting in front of their rooms and smoking and flicking their ashes over the railing onto the cars parked below. At least my car hadn't been broken into! There was internet but the check-in clerk didn't give me the security code he was supposed to have given me. When I went to the office to ask about the code there was a young man/college guy working the desk and he was much friendlier and he apologized for my not having it at check in. This place rents out efficiency apartments so the people who live there were hanging out with their friends in the parking lot so it felt a bit less secure than I like in a hotel. The bathroom was very small and was old and had mold around the edges of the shower, etc. I have stayed in all kinds of places all over the world and this one was one of the worst. I don't need big and fancy, and I love getting rooms at locally owned, non-chain lodging, but this place was too far below my standards and what I expected from both the pictures and reviews. I expect cleanliness, safety/security, and the basic amenities, and Spanish Trails failed on all counts. I will say there was a towel for each of us (3) and one extra, so that was a nice surprise in light of all it didn't have. In the morning I talked to 2 older couples who said they had stayed there before and the rooms thery were given were nicer the first time. There seemed to be several other older couple that seemed to be middle class or above staying at this place and none of them seemed very happy with it, but I didn't go into details with them about it. I feel bad for having to give this lodging such a horrible review, but they earned it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
southwestmama55, Manager at Spanish Trails Inn and Suites, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
These guests were very picky and high maintenance from the time they checked in to check-out.
At $86.00 our hotel is a BARGAIN this time of year - other hotels in the area are charging upwards of twice as much for not much more. Our hotel is a budget hotel - we have not had any complaints of uncleanliness or poor service for many months. We have strived to accommodate our guests above their expectations and succeed in most instances. As for the traffic noise - most of the Durango hotels are located on the main drag as are most resort towns' hotels.
I am sorry these guests feel they were not satisifed but with 77 rooms being full nearly every night, you are bound to deal with a disgruntled guest.
TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

my girlfriend and i found ourselves with an extra night in durango in july 2012. we did not have reservations. i stopped at the hampton inn and they had one room for $189. the spanish inn had no king beds left ($69). we got a room with two queens in the "newer section" for $79 (south part, rooms numbered in the 500's).

i am fairly picky and inspected the room first, checking the bed for cleanliness and making sure the ac and fridge worked and the room was clean enough. the bed was soft, and the traffic noise was loud, but the ac was also loud and drowned it out. overall, it was roomy, fairly comfortable and reasonably clean. the staff was not unfriendly. ice was $0.25. as mentioned, it is on the free downtown trolley stop, and a liquor store and grocery is right across the street. wifi works poorly and occassionally. i was a little worried about my car as it is a luxury brand, but the parking lot was well lighted. there were no problems. my room was better than i would have thought from the other reviews, and it's possible that it has been improved since of the reviews. i would rate it 2 1/2, if tripadvisor gave me that option.. sure i would rather stay at the marriott or doubletree, and often do when their rates are not $220 or more, as they are in the summer in durango

Room Tip: get one of the "newer" rooms
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

I stay for 2 days the hotel was clean not bad but too much noice from cars and people outside wifi not open for all the rooms

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Spanish Trails Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!