“You Could Do Better” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 30 Hotels in Durango
Bisbee, Arizona
“You Could Do Better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

This motel is a combination of a number of motels put together to make up the Spanish Trails Inn. This property aims for the low price only traveler in a town like Durango where rooms run a little pricey because tourism is their economy. The rooms were dark, tired, and in dyer need of help. This motel offers nothing other than a secure place to lay your head to save you $20.00 a night from other rooms around the neighborhood. I'd check around before settling on this place. At least it isn't scary.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
southwestmama55, Manager at Spanish Trails Inn and Suites, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Spanish Trails does not pretend to be a chain hotel with fancy amenities. We offer clean rooms
for a budget price. Our rates are usually at least 50% of what the well-known chain hotels are offering.
Most of our guests realize this when they check other rates and are very happy to spend less on their hotel so they can spend their vacation money on doing the fun things Durango has
to offer them.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Wichita Falls, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

With tax we were charged over $86 for our room and it was pretty awful. I had booked over the phone based on some positive reviews I saw on this place and I really wished I hadn't made reservations there. When I checked in the the man at the desk did not act overly glad to see me/a guest walk in. He did offer to let me see the room and I should have turned it down and looked elsewhere for a room, but we were in town on medical stuff & I was simply too exhausted to go find another place. I asked the desk clerk if they had a problem with break-ins and crime and he said no break-ins, but some crime...when I pressed him about the crimes he said mostly just drunks on the property. So, the room was old and dingy, didn't have a phone or a coffee maker (even though I was specifically told on the phone that the rooms had coffee makers). Before we left in the morning I asked the lady at the desk about the coffee makers and she said they have never had them (which means the person I rsvp'd with lied to me) It cost 25 cents for ice, but the ice machine looked pretty "iffy" and not too clean, so we didn't try it out. The inn is situated on a very busy/loud intersection. The grounds are semi-groomed with cigarette butts thrown in all the planters. It looked like what used to be a pool or jacuzzi had been filled in wit cement and painter red. When I went out to my car in the morning the hood had ashes all over it from the people upstairs sitting in front of their rooms and smoking and flicking their ashes over the railing onto the cars parked below. At least my car hadn't been broken into! There was internet but the check-in clerk didn't give me the security code he was supposed to have given me. When I went to the office to ask about the code there was a young man/college guy working the desk and he was much friendlier and he apologized for my not having it at check in. This place rents out efficiency apartments so the people who live there were hanging out with their friends in the parking lot so it felt a bit less secure than I like in a hotel. The bathroom was very small and was old and had mold around the edges of the shower, etc. I have stayed in all kinds of places all over the world and this one was one of the worst. I don't need big and fancy, and I love getting rooms at locally owned, non-chain lodging, but this place was too far below my standards and what I expected from both the pictures and reviews. I expect cleanliness, safety/security, and the basic amenities, and Spanish Trails failed on all counts. I will say there was a towel for each of us (3) and one extra, so that was a nice surprise in light of all it didn't have. In the morning I talked to 2 older couples who said they had stayed there before and the rooms thery were given were nicer the first time. There seemed to be several other older couple that seemed to be middle class or above staying at this place and none of them seemed very happy with it, but I didn't go into details with them about it. I feel bad for having to give this lodging such a horrible review, but they earned it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
southwestmama55, Manager at Spanish Trails Inn and Suites, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
These guests were very picky and high maintenance from the time they checked in to check-out.
At $86.00 our hotel is a BARGAIN this time of year - other hotels in the area are charging upwards of twice as much for not much more. Our hotel is a budget hotel - we have not had any complaints of uncleanliness or poor service for many months. We have strived to accommodate our guests above their expectations and succeed in most instances. As for the traffic noise - most of the Durango hotels are located on the main drag as are most resort towns' hotels.
I am sorry these guests feel they were not satisifed but with 77 rooms being full nearly every night, you are bound to deal with a disgruntled guest.
TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

my girlfriend and i found ourselves with an extra night in durango in july 2012. we did not have reservations. i stopped at the hampton inn and they had one room for $189. the spanish inn had no king beds left ($69). we got a room with two queens in the "newer section" for $79 (south part, rooms numbered in the 500's).

i am fairly picky and inspected the room first, checking the bed for cleanliness and making sure the ac and fridge worked and the room was clean enough. the bed was soft, and the traffic noise was loud, but the ac was also loud and drowned it out. overall, it was roomy, fairly comfortable and reasonably clean. the staff was not unfriendly. ice was $0.25. as mentioned, it is on the free downtown trolley stop, and a liquor store and grocery is right across the street. wifi works poorly and occassionally. i was a little worried about my car as it is a luxury brand, but the parking lot was well lighted. there were no problems. my room was better than i would have thought from the other reviews, and it's possible that it has been improved since of the reviews. i would rate it 2 1/2, if tripadvisor gave me that option.. sure i would rather stay at the marriott or doubletree, and often do when their rates are not $220 or more, as they are in the summer in durango

Room Tip: get one of the "newer" rooms
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

I stay for 2 days the hotel was clean not bad but too much noice from cars and people outside wifi not open for all the rooms

• Stayed May 2012
Niagara Falls, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel while backpacking around America. We are used to basic accommodation and are not picky people but this hotel was an exception. Our room was semi clean apart from the black hairs in our bed- probably what you'd expect for around $60 a night. The real issue for us was the treatment from the manager and staff. We had several items stolen from our room and when we questioned the manager about this she was incredibly rude and aggressive to us telling us that the particular housekeeping staff in question wouldn't steal items as she is "currently on parole". I have never been treated so poorly and unprofessionally in my life and recommend staying well away from this particular hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
southwestmama55, Manager at Spanish Trails Inn and Suites, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
I am the manager of Spanish Trails. I remember these guests due to the fact that they
accused my staff of stealing from them. The true story: these guests checked out and left.
The housekeeping staff entered their room after they were gone and cleaned out their room and refrigerator. The items that they claimed were stolen were food items - not personal items. An hour or so later these guests returned and accused my staff of stealing things from their refrigerator. The wine, food items, etc. had already been disposed of. The gentlemen was very understanding that I could not pay them for something edible they left behind, but the woman was obnoxious and promised retribution.
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

This is a cheap place to stay therefore don't expect a five star hotel. Motel was clean for the most part and air cond and cable tv worked fine.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011 via mobile

Some rooms smelt smoke, wifi is weak. But don't try to get help from the manager if you are not native English speaker.. I feel humiliated!

• Stayed August 2011
This was an Asian gentlemen who spoke little English. He did not understand the protocol of staying at an American hotel I think. He didn't understand that our policy is to pay before you stay. He stayed at our establishment for 5 days I believe and was very frustrated that he had to keep paying each day. I informed him he could give us a credit card but he wanted to pay cash, therefore we needed payment each morning before he stayed in the room that night. It was very frustrating for the both of us, but I did my best to explain. The language barrier was the issue.

Been to Spanish Trails Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!