“Great Place” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
California
“Great Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

We have been to the Red Snapper several times, most recently in May 2008. It's always good with excellent service. Probably has the best, albeit small, salad bar in Durango. I highly recommend this restaurant. It's not cheap, but the value is consistent with the pricing.

AZ - CA - CO - FL - TX
“Phenomenal Restaurant!! Spectacular Service - Best Food in Durango!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2008

WOW!! What a phenomenal restaurant! The service was spectacular and the food...Best in DURANGO!!! We really enjoyed the atmosphere with the large fish tank and aquarium. Our table was located next to the open kitchen - which gave us great pleasure to watch the chef(s) as they prepared our dinners. Our server was very busy although she was more attentive than I have ever experienced! Our meals were beyond belief -5 star qualities in taste and appearance! Of course I cannot forget dessert - literally to DIE for! We ordered their ‘signature’ dessert…Death By Chocolate with cappuccinos. I have never seen a dessert so BIG and our server made our cappuccinos with hearts designed in the foam. We Loved the Red Snapper will be back soon!

Houma, Louisiana
“Some of the best food ever. Extremely pricey, lousy service, and a cramped dining room do not make the best restaurant...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2007

Some of the best food ever. Extremely pricey, lousy service, and a cramped dining room do not make the best restaurant ever.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Best seafood in Durango...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2007

Best seafood in Durango. Has a open salad bar included in all meals which I love. Service is good and atmosphere is very nice.

Albuquerque
“The Mighty have fallen”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2007

Sometime between May of 2006 and May of 2007 something went seriously wrong here. Prior to 2007 this was one of my family's favorite restaurants. It became our tradition to visit this upscale seafood establishment on the last night prior to returning home from vacation... it was our last great 'splurge' before going back to our normal everyday lives.

Our visit in May of 2007 was the biggest dining disappointment of the year.

I called early to make reservations. This used to be a *must* if you intended to eat there in any reasonable amount of time. We arrived on time and were a little surprised to see that there was no wait. (On a weekend night, at dinnertime, this should have been a warning sign!) In fact, there were only four or five other parties there dining. Obviously the locals and other regulars have figured something out that we had yet to learn.

We were seated immediately. The decor was nice, as usual. Dark colors, sea or fish themed artwork and all around. Nicely lit fishtanks here and there in the dividing walls.

Our server was slow to bring drinks, and even slower to take food orders. I was disappointed to see my favorite item was GONE. (The Monterey Scallops -- a serving of sea scallops baked in lemon-garlic butter and covered in melted monterey jack cheese.) I ordered a steak instead, hoping that I could find a new favorite.

Our wine was just plain nasty. --And that is entirely our fault, as something less than oenophiles (connoisseurs of wine) it took a bit more than just a sniff and a sip to realize we'd made a mistake. We'll just chalk that one up to experience and be more careful in ordering in the future.

The salad bar was, as it always has been, excellent! A good variety of crisp vegetables and toppings. I enjoyed the iceberg lettuce mix with sunflower seeds, baby corns, and cherry peppers. An excellent array of fresh veggies and dressings made this the high point of our dinner.

In the past, when the we got up to fetch salads, the service staff would tidy up the table... refold the napkins neatly and what-not. This time, the table was just as we'd left it... Oh well, there's nothing really wrong with that.

On my way to the salad bar, our server stopped me to tell me that the steak I'd ordered 'rare' was an end-cut and probably be very good 'rare'. Well, ok, I can eat steaks that are more done than that. I asked him to make it a medium.

Allowing my wife's water glass to sit in front of her empty for more than ten or fifteen minutes is a really good way to get your tip minimized. Her glass sat on the table empty for most of our time there.

Dirty restrooms are also a big turn-off for my wife. Returning from the restrooms with my daughter in tow, my wife proclaimed them "filthy".

When the food finally arrived they'd brought the wrong item for my mother-in-law. (We weren't really in that much of a hurry, but we hadn't brought enough activities to keep our two-year-old occupied for more than about an hour. From the time we ordered until our food came was a little over 30 minutes.) Our server apologized and took the food back to the kitchen to order the correct item.

The food was ordinary. There was absolutely nothing that made it special or unique in any way. I've had more exciting food at Applebees! This was a big disappointment. I've bragged about this restaurant to friends and family for years, and when I finally get my mother-in-law out here to try it, they bring out this bland, I-could-have-done-it-myself meal.

The dessert was a piece of cake that had obviously been put on the plate some time well before we arrived at the restaurant.

On our way out, my wife expressed our disappointment with the 'dining experience' to the manager. (I hate those words, but it is exactly that concept that makes the cost palatable.) She was apologetic, but it didn't really make us feel any happier about it.

On the way out, as my wife looked over the receipt again, she realized that the cash my mother-in-law had put with our credit card to pay for the meal hadn't been subtracted from the total! (She'd wanted to pay for her portion of the bill.) We went back in to talk to the manager once again. She brought the server out to find out what had happened. He claimed he thought the cash was his tip! A thirty dollar 'tip' on a $130+ ticket is one heck of a tip! While this is plausible, he didn't even ask before charging our card.

We had the total recalculated, minus what we'd given in cash, and left him a grudging fifteen percent.

We will not be back. There's numerous excellent dining places within walking distance that will happily serve superb food and provide excellent service. (And clean restrooms.)

What was once a shining jewel in the Durango dining scene has now aged, most ungracefully, to be an overpriced seafood and steakhouse bar worth visiting only for sentimental reasons.