“Pleasantly surprised!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Durango
Big Lake, Minnesota
“Pleasantly surprised!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

After checking out the prices at the historic hotel downtown ($150+), we stopped here and paid half that for a room. The room they gave us was really nice, recently remodeled and very comfy! We walked downtown for dinner and a little wandering. Breakfast was included, and I was very happy to have some yogurt included this time instead of the usual bagels, cereal and waffles. The only drawback was the thin walls, we were awakened around midnight by the very amorous couple next door! Definitely worth checking out, but you might want to have earplugs along. ; )

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Dallas Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I usually don't like staying in the heart of town, but this time we needed to. The hotel is extremely close to everything downtown. The parking is very tight. There are two rows running down the train side of the hotel and there are some places front. We got the last space and luckily it was still after a late night run to grocery store. We visiting after the holidays, so wasn't crowded. I only mention this because someone parked on the side street and had an unpleasant surprise the next morning (huge dent). The backside or long hall of the hotel is slightly lower than the main building. A little funky, but it works. The carpet was extremely worn but fairly clean (no odors). The walls are tad thin, we woke in the morning to some yelling and arguing. The room was clean and the mattresses were great. One huge plus, we got a balcony. The price was excellent. I will stay again because of the balcony, mattress and price.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Santa Monica, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We spent one night at the Durango Lodge in December 2013. The motel is in an excellent location for exploring downtown Durango on foot. The staff was polite and extremely accommodating, especially Andrea and Fran at the front desk. This will be our top pick should we ever return to Durango for another visit.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dolores, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

We live about 45 minutes out of town so when we want to make a night of it we stay at the Durango Lodge. This is the land of overpriced hotels and most of them are not within walking distance of downtown. There is one cab company and they charge accordingly. There is a free trolley if you are further North on Main. Parking is expensive and non-exsitent most of the time.
The Durango Lodge offers a basic but clean room for about 62 bucks plus tax for a double. It is in a great location and you can walk to everything. Parking is free.
If you are just in town for a night out this is the place. Also if you are passing through and want to be close to the many great restaurants in town for the evening. Its a block from the train.
If you are going to spluge downtown try the Strater or the Best Western Rio Grande.Otherwise if you want location and a bed this is the place.
Be wary of some of the cheaper places on North Main. Some, not all, are also long term rentals with a colorfull clientel. Cheers!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand Junction, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I booked this lodge a couple weeks in advance after looking for a few places around the train station. My husband and I were taking our two young children to see the Polar Express. We loved that it was in walking distance, and my husband wanted to support a local business. For us, we drove over 3 hours to go on the Polar Express. We arrived at the lodge an hour and a half early. Most hotels/motels will let you check in earlier than the listed check-in. The older woman at the front desk barely looked at me. I told her we had a reservation, which she verified. She informed me that check-in wasn't until 3:00, and the maids haven't released any of the rooms. But she treated me like I will not absolutely get checked in until 2:30, like that was a favor to me. Okay, fine. I went out to tell my husband, and found two kiddos that needed to use the restroom (as well as myself). I figured I am patronizing her business, she will let us use the restroom until she can check us in. No, absolutely not. No public restrooms. So refusing to help us out, or get off her rear and see if at least one room was ready was the last straw. She treated my husband and I like dirt. So back out the car I go with two kids. I sent my husband in for the third and final time to cancel. She informed us that unless she filled the room, she would charge the room anyway because it was within the 24-hour cancellation period. He said to go ahead and try, we'll file a dispute with the credit card company and she won't get paid anyway. We then went up the highway a bit and found a national chain hotel that would take us right away. Now that is customer service....and no, as of three days later, no charge on my card. You treat future clientele like dirt, expect a crappy review.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

We booked this lodge in late Sept because it was in walking distance to the train station. upon entering there was a very musty odor eminating from the halls. Obvoiusly from years of use. The odor was undescribable. Once in the room there was little relief. By bed time my sinuses were giving me problems like I have never had before - just kind of stuffy. It went away the next day when I was outside for a couple hours on the train. Will not stay here again unless there are improvements.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stayed at the Durango Lodge in October 2013. We chose to stay here because of it's fantastic location, right next door to the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railway which was a huge plus and a short walk to restaurants and shopping. The Lodge has great WiFi, we found it to be very quiet and clean and the staff helpful and friendly. We were able to park in their parking lot which was very convenient and we would definitely return. Very good value for money.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple