“The absolute worst hotel I've stayed in” 1 of 5 stars

Budget Inn
3077 Main Avenue, Durango, CO 81301   |
Ranked #30 of 30 hotels in Durango
San Miguel de Allende, MX
“The absolute worst hotel I've stayed in”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

And I've traveled extensively in the 2nd and 3rd world. At the Budget Inn, in Durango, CO, I found roaches, unhelpful staff, and a refusal to refund my money after the room I had reserved was not available. After checking in I went into town for dinner, when I returned, the AC unit in my King sized room was not functioning. They offered me a room with 3 queen sized beds jammed in like some 3rd world hostal, but would not refund the difference between a king sized room and a queen room, (only $10). When I saw a roach crawl over my pillow, I decided to check into another hotel, and was quite happy to pay almost twice the rate of the "Budget" Inn for it. If you're on that much of a budget that you have to stay in this hotel, my heart goes out to you. Stay away from this hotel at all costs!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

46 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

As we approach the town of Durango, I ask what hotel we were staying at? My dad answered "The Budget Inn!" I guess that when he was looking at hotels it was a three star hotel. To keep it short it wasn't. When we pulled up in a Cadillac we knew out of place, and the Amish people in the rooms next to our parking spot knew it too! My dad still was optimistic so he got the keys to the room and we went to go check it out. While looking at the "pool" we could see that it hadent been cleaned in many months! We walked into the room and me and my brother started laughing at the stench of mold and dust! My dad still optimistic went to the bathroom to turn on the lights and he turns to us and says "not happening!" Please do yourself a favor and stay as far as possible from the budget inn unless your looking to dare your friend to stay there a night!

• Stayed July 2013
Gilbert, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We were in town for my Daughters graduation from Fort Lewis College and our favorite hotel was booked solid because of the graduation as were all the hotels.So I started looking at motels. Budget Inn had vacancy.I had never even seen the place on previous trips but I thought Durango is a nice clean little town it will be fine....how wrong I was,The minute I pulled up I knew I had made a big mistake. The prostitute smoking in front of the place led me to ask for the room key before we unloaded our luggage. Upon entering the room I was hit in the face with a horrible smell of mold and filth. The room was worse than I could have ever imagined.I do think a homeless person would turn it down for free. Everything was dirty and moldy. I returned to our car in tears with the thought of having to sleep in the car. There was no way I could allow my family to even enter the room. The manager Karlin Mayberry did not care and still charged my card. Thankfully the Travelodge across the street had rooms available and they were very clean. Please do your self a favor and avoid this place. It is disgusting.

Room Tip: Go to the traveldge accross the street !The staff is friendly ,the rooms are CLEAN and reasonable
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Redruth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Checked in, but was unable to log on to the free wifi, so went back to reception and got that sorted and connected but lost connection in our first room. So went back to reception and was offered a room closer to enable us to connect to wifi. 2nd room stank or either smoke or damp or a mixture of both. Checked out 15 mins after checking in. Would highly recommend avoiding this place. We ended up in the Travellodge accross the street. Our experience with this Budget Inn nearly prevented us from trying a couple of others on our road trip which i have to say were superb. Its a shame an establishment like this is allow to tarnish the reputation of others.

Room Tip: Just don't stay there.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

My wife me and our child stay in this motel as a emergency. The first room that was given to us had no heat with a outside temp of -1°. They moved us to another room that had heat. Come morning the room temp was only 65° we couldn't even walk on the floor without our shoes extremely cold. Not only are the rooms very cold and dirty they have a major black mold issue. The few day we were their my child and I were sick with headaches and a bad cough. I found the mold when I was trying to retrieve a toy my child dropped behind the bed the mold was only 6" away from our heads along the wall. I went to the office and asked about the mold they said they had no idea about it. I asked the manager if he inspect the rooms after housekeeping he said yes. I then told him I could no longer stay here that is was toxic mold and extremely unsafe for my child and pregnant wife. I asked for a refund of my remaining time left since I paid a week in advance. They responded with a no that it was none refundable. So now we are out $200. When I showed them the photos I have of the room and mold they said it wasn't there room. I would never recommend this as a place to stay while your in Durango.

• Stayed January 2013
Melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Don't stay here. Worst accom so far. $75 for crummy old room ... Hard towels, mould on bathroom ceiling, noise from shower next door like jet aircraft taking off, no tissues, no shampoos etc, no coffee maker, no hair dryer Did have bright bathroom lights, good water pressure. Frig and microwave

Travelled as a (mature age Australian) couple for all of August 2012 throughout California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona and into Colorado by car. Generally did not book ahead, prefer to have freedom to linger as we please, and to actually see the room before we commit. Have travelled this way many times before in USA and Europe. Stayed at a variety of hotels and B+Bs from 1 to 4 star. In busy areas (San Francisco) we booked in advance from Tripadviser reviews.

Room Tip: avoid all of them
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Peyton, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This hotel should be condemned. The room smelled, there were stains on the mattresses, the pillows were only 2 inches thick, there was mold in the shower on the tile grout, the towels were the size of small hair towels, which you couldn't even wrap around your body, and there was "NO PHONE" in the room. The carpet was dirty and the room overall was dingy. The so called swimming pool was the size of two queen beds and the hot tub hours were only from 4pm to 930 pm. Who does that??? Regardless, when I called the man at the desk said they were privately and locally owned. He did not seem to care about my complaints and said "I will note your concerns and I guess we won't be seeing you again". PLEASE consider staying somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Budget Inn? Share your experiences!