“Our worst experience. They have mold!!” 1 of 5 stars

You added Budget Inn to your Saves list
Budget Inn
3077 Main Avenue, Durango, CO 81301   |
Ranked #30 of 30 Hotels in Durango
“Our worst experience. They have mold!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

My wife me and our child stay in this motel as a emergency. The first room that was given to us had no heat with a outside temp of -1°. They moved us to another room that had heat. Come morning the room temp was only 65° we couldn't even walk on the floor without our shoes extremely cold. Not only are the rooms very cold and dirty they have a major black mold issue. The few day we were their my child and I were sick with headaches and a bad cough. I found the mold when I was trying to retrieve a toy my child dropped behind the bed the mold was only 6" away from our heads along the wall. I went to the office and asked about the mold they said they had no idea about it. I asked the manager if he inspect the rooms after housekeeping he said yes. I then told him I could no longer stay here that is was toxic mold and extremely unsafe for my child and pregnant wife. I asked for a refund of my remaining time left since I paid a week in advance. They responded with a no that it was none refundable. So now we are out $200. When I showed them the photos I have of the room and mold they said it wasn't there room. I would never recommend this as a place to stay while your in Durango.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Don't stay here. Worst accom so far. $75 for crummy old room ... Hard towels, mould on bathroom ceiling, noise from shower next door like jet aircraft taking off, no tissues, no shampoos etc, no coffee maker, no hair dryer Did have bright bathroom lights, good water pressure. Frig and microwave

Travelled as a (mature age Australian) couple for all of August 2012 throughout California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona and into Colorado by car. Generally did not book ahead, prefer to have freedom to linger as we please, and to actually see the room before we commit. Have travelled this way many times before in USA and Europe. Stayed at a variety of hotels and B+Bs from 1 to 4 star. In busy areas (San Francisco) we booked in advance from Tripadviser reviews.

Room Tip: avoid all of them
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Peyton, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This hotel should be condemned. The room smelled, there were stains on the mattresses, the pillows were only 2 inches thick, there was mold in the shower on the tile grout, the towels were the size of small hair towels, which you couldn't even wrap around your body, and there was "NO PHONE" in the room. The carpet was dirty and the room overall was dingy. The so called swimming pool was the size of two queen beds and the hot tub hours were only from 4pm to 930 pm. Who does that??? Regardless, when I called the man at the desk said they were privately and locally owned. He did not seem to care about my complaints and said "I will note your concerns and I guess we won't be seeing you again". PLEASE consider staying somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

aside from the bed bug bites im still itching, the rank smell of a "non-smoking" room still on my personal items, and almost being arrested for asking for heat in my, 49$+ not the 44$ as advertised, room( a fact not mentioned at check-in or on the billboard), this place was awesome! JK!! this place was a dump and your or my 54 dollars would be better spent tossed out the window. by far the nastiest, shadiest, and worst hotel in durango! keep going down the road two blocks and find a beautiful oasis for a similar cost. then you will not need to deal with karlin mayberry a racist and not all that smart on site manager, who, after i requested heat called me a redneck and made fun of how i dressed(work pants and a white tee shirt), while his tie ended six inches above his belt buckle. the bbb is next on my informed list.

"budget inn durango where the price is so cheep there is no heat! - but there are bed bugs to keep you warm :)!"

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dolores, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I'm known for finding the best value for the money but this motel isn't it. There's inexpensive and then there's CHEAP. I kept describing this to others as "Fleabag". I worried about bedbugs...the carpet made you want to leave you shoes on...broken window in the bathroom wouldn't close...cigarette burns in the furniture. Need I say more? I must repeat what another reviewer said: "I wouldn't stay here again if it was free".

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Robbinsville, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

This was the worst place we stayed on a 14 day vacation out west. It was dirty, moldy, and gross. Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere. I wouldn't stay there again if it was free. Disgusting. It is outdated and there were missing locks on the door. There also appeared to be people living there.

Room Tip: Don't bother!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Silverton, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stayed here back in 2009, I came back and looked at the reviews today just to see if this motel had made any improvement since our stay there only to find it had obviously not changed at all. How this place still lures unsuspecting travelers in is hard to believe. Many of the same complaints we had during our stay are still being seen on here, and obviously nothing if much after 3 years has been done to even address these problems, such as many of the rooms not having an air conditioner that works. We were told that someone was coming to fix them the next day... NOT! We had called 5 months in advance and booked our stay, they gave us the crappiest rooms they had and the carpet was absolutely filthy black. The sheets were disgusting and the whole room stunk to high heaven. And to top it off, the air conditioner didn't work and it was VERY HOT. We had booked a four night stay, and being during 4th of July holiday, there was nothing else available. Luckily we had checked in early enough that the motel wasn't filled yet so the desk clerk took us to a better part of the motel where she had to go in and check all the air conditioners to find one that worked, we finally got into one that did work.

The biggest mistake I made was not checking out the reviews on this motel before booking. We have stayed at some Budget Inns that were dives on the east coast, but certainly nothing as bad as this place was. Do yourself a favor people and check the reviews before booking anything in Colorado because we ended up in a pretty lousy place in Colorado Springs as well. I am actually surprised at how bad it is when you have to travel on a very tight budget just what you get in Colorado.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Budget Inn? Share your experiences!