“New Mexico style Mexican” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Voted Durango's 2010 & 2011 Best Mexican Restaurant
Phoenix, Arizona
“New Mexico style Mexican”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

This is New Mexico style Mexican food and it is very good!! They have a wide array of dishes for all sorts of tastes and a children's menu as well. Many of the dishes have a spicy sauce, which is very much New Mexico style, so be sure and ask if you want or do not want heat. If you are use to Tex Mex or Baja style you may be disappointed, so keep in mind this is not that type of Mexican food. They also have several dishes which offer the blue corn tortillas and/or chips. I have enjoyed many dishes they serve.

• Visited August 2013

80% Recommend
Edmond, Oklahoma
“Vacation dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful meal at Gazpacho. He had the green chili stew and green chili burger. I enjoyed the 3 different types of gazpacho soups, tomato, cucumber and mango. Fresh and delicious. My husbands meal was spot on. Hopefully we will eat there again before leaving.
The atmosphere was very warm and inviting and all employes were very friendly and helpful. Our server was Chris and I would recommend you ask for him should you choose to eat here.
Awesome place to dine.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Meh. When they say "NEW" Mexican food, they mean nouveau”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I know, I know - I'm a hard customer because I am a bona fide desert rat, and I run on a hybrid fuel of Dos XX and fire-roasted green chile. So when I saw it was "New" Mexican food, I had my doubts. Suspicions confirmed: weird, styrene-like rellenos, bizarre ground meat tacos with - what is that, curry? Tarragon? Hell, I don't know.

I ordered a side taco with my enchilada, and it was plopped on top of the entree. That equals total soggy taco shell failure. Rookies.

Of course, the enchilada was spectacularly mundane, doubtless watered down to suit the tastes of the delicate tourists, but at least it was shapeless and bland, too.

It wasn't all bad. The salsa was acceptable (needs more garlic, amigos) and the waiter was cheerful. I didn't throw up later, so there's that. But seriously, stop calling it New Mexican food, unless you're only talking about the part of Santa Fe the fey Californians have staked out.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
“Yummy food, great service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

We have lived in Durango for only a few months and just found out abot Gazpacho's, so this was our first visit here. The food was delicious. Our server was Chris and the service he gave was outstanding (great service can be a rare thing these days). We have decided that this is our new favorite Mexican restaurant in Durango!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great New Mexican food. Really hot flavorful salsa!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

I had the taco plate. It was very good but beans and rice came on a tiny dish, very under portioned. The taco was ground beef, shell was a little soggy when served but I liked it that way. Always like this place. Margaritas are tasty although not authentic.