“Interesting choice in Durango” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian, Malaysian, Nepali
Good for: Large groups, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Naperville, Illinois
“Interesting choice in Durango”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We were visiting Durango with family and saw the Himalayan Kitchen. We were happy to see that the menu was heavily Indian, which is one of our favorite types of food to eat at home. We went for dinner and had the chicken makani, chicken tikka masala, naan and rice. They were delicious although we felt they were not as spicy as we had requested. Later that week we went back to try the lunch buffet which ends at 2:30; we arrived at 2:15 and were told that we were not too late for it. However, it did seem like they were running low on some of the dishes and did not replenish them. The buffet was not as extensive as I had hoped, but for $9.99 it was an adequate lunch. Prices for the dinner were mid-range and the price for the buffet was good. I would not recommend the buffet, but I would recommend the dinner or a menu lunch.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Oklahoma
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Sunday brunch was terrific, great atmosphere, excellent food. Sunday brunch was terrific, great atmosphere, excellent food.

Visited July 2013
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
“Can't wait to return!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

After a long day of traveling with 2 boys (11 & 6), we decided to try something new for dinner. So glad we did!

I got the Daal-Bhaat Tarkaari entree which allowed me to try a few things and included dessert (an amazing HUGE crepe filled with ice cream!) I could have eaten the coconut curry all day!

My hubby enjoyed the chow chow and my sons got dumplings.

We ordered a pot of masala chai tea since a cup was $1.99 and the pot was $3.99. My boys shared with me and it served 5 cups and filled a 16 oz. to go cup when we finished.

The famous rice pudding was interesting but not as sweet as I like it. A little watery too, but I chalk it up as 'different.'

The service was great, although we were the only ones in the place at 4pm. Nice ambiance too. I would go again when in Durango!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Worst meal for a long time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We are in the US for. 5 weeks and we had intended reviewing restaurants at the end of our trip, but would make exceptions for excellent or terrible.

Sorry to say this was the latter. We have never eaten Nepalese food before but took note of the good reviews here and on the door of the restaurant from the Durango Herald and Pasedena Star. The latter championed the yak.

Now, like most people yak had not appeared on a menu we had had so it had to be tried. Yak stew with potatoes and various spices sounded very authentic. Unfortunately it was 5 pieces of tough meat and three quarters potato. Oh, and for some reason there was half a pear with recurrent jelly (that was nice). The garlic nan had virtually no garlic. The other dish we had was lamb korma. Normally, in the UK at least, this is cooked very slowly and thus well done and tender. Here it was mainly pink with some pieces tender and others quite tough, but not as tough as the yak.

We tried 3 other restaurants in Durango, all of which were far superior to this one.

We loved Durango, it is a super small (we guess you would call it mid-west) town and we will try to return, but Himalayan Kitchen will not be on our list.

Visited July 2013
San Jose
“Excellent meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The Himalayan Kitchen has a good selection of regional dishes, some common, a few unusual, like a few with yak meat. We were quite pleased with our dinners, except for the sour, watery raita. The Sherpa stew was fantastic! The prices were reasonable, considering the quality. The wine list is extensive, although it seemed strange to me to have relatively obscure wines available by the glass, and the better-known selections only available by the bottle. (BTW, the menu that came up for this restaurant tonight on TripAdvisor is for some unknown Chinese restaurant, NOT Himalayan Kitchen in Durango.)

• Visited July 2013