“We had the Chateaubriand” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Ore House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 151 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main Avenue
Transit: Trolley stop located right across the street.
Description: Established in 1972, the Ore House is one of Durango's oldest and finest restaurants. Featuring hand cut USDA certified Black Angus prime and choice steaks, steaks from ranches surrounding southwest Colorado, sustainable seafood, all natural poultry, seasonal local produce, and homemade desserts.
Arkansas
“We had the Chateaubriand”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

This was our first time here and we had the Chateaubriand for two and WOW was it prepared perfectly. The service was very good - even tho they were real busy on a Saturday night. Overall, the food and service were excellent but pricey.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Aspen, Colorado
“Questionable Hospitality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

My husband and I chose this restaurant for Valentine's Day. It started off remiss when the afternoon before I received a voice mail from the host or manager, not sure which, calling to inform me there was a 90 minute limit on the table we booked. I had made a reservation 3 weeks in advance for 6:00. I thought this was a very poor way of keeping repeat clientele. Since all other noteworthy restaurants in town were booked solid I chose to keep the reservation and keep an eye on the clock. I ordered a 6 oz filet and pepper steak style sauce which I have ordered before many times and it was not the same recipe and to be honest not as tasty. After asking the waitress if there was a new chef I was informed the same chef remained but sauces had changed. My pepper sauce somehow had lost the pepper and gained about half a bottle of capers. The sauce which i did not eat and remained on the plate was accompanied by the filet which being honest again was not as memorable as last visit. We ordered a side of mashed potatoes on the side, be aware if you do not want smothered brown gravy over all, ask for them bare. Apparently this is a new change also. My waitress unfortunately took this personally and was not seen again until the check arrived. No offer of dessert or the special Animas City chocolates the other finished diners had received. They did give me a small discount which was appreciated but not asked for. in summary, menu items are not consistent as of late , servers hasty and the rushed feeling of being herded through dinner with an imposed time limit would keep me from returning.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bayfield, Colorado
“Awsome Night Out!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Took my mother out for an early Christmas dinner around December 23rd of 2013. We both enjoyed the Prime Ribeye, it was cooked to perfection! I have been to many steak houses and I can definitely say that this was the best cooked steak I have ever had.
In addition, the salad was an excellent starter for us. We both had the Bleu Cheese, which was so good we asked for the recipe! The cook went above and beyond and asked for my e-mail so he could send it to me!!
I now enjoy the same salad at home (well maybe not as much as I did there).
If only we could afford to eat there more often!!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Denver
“The best steak in Colorado”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I always try to eat here when I travel to Durango. The steaks melt in your mouth. If you eat at the bar you will enjoy the company of the person next to you....everyone is very friendly. And the bartender, Bridgette, is very informative on just about any subject....not bad to look at either.

Visited February 2014
San Antonio, Texas
“Great meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We have dined at the Ore House one other time and both times were incredible. I love they flavor of their steaks and the seafood is so fresh and prepared to perfection. We will definitely be back. I like this this atmosphere is quieter than other places.

Been to Ore House? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Ore House, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.